Match Thread: Luton v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

McCormack is dropping way too deep.

I don't think he has an option. Grealish and others have dropped deep and McCormack is alone. Ayew needs to calm down. Keep our heads and we will be ok.

the last 20 minutes was pathetic. We were all over them, should have been going for the jugular and instead we gradually got more and mroe cautious, let Luton get back into it, and of course under a bit of pressure we fold like a cheap tent.

i know we've got a lot of shit players. But Gary Gardner wouldn't look out of place in a Sunday league team.

And this first half has simply reminded me why we probably can't get away with playing Grealish from the start. It's like playing with ten men. He is truly woeful off the ball and not good enough on it

I gave Gardner the benefit of the doubt on Sunday but he's had an absolute mare again so far. No good enough at all. 

We've just completely fell apart after conceding, whats new 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DK82 said:

I don't think he has an option. Grealish and others have dropped deep and McCormack is alone. Ayew needs to calm down. Keep our heads and we will be ok.

I agree, I don't think it's McCormack's fault, it's systematic of us not playing well and having a complete meltdown after their goal.

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

How can we start so well and then give up just as easily???

It's like we've forgotten McCormack is on the pitch

Player mentality unfortunately.

sigmund Freud couldn't do anything with this lot 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

We really need to stop thinking everything is going back to how it was before when things don't go so well. That applies fans and certainly the players and staff, otherwise the rot will never stop.

So in terms of positives, I've been really pleased with Grealish's willingness to get back and cover, despite Amavi's defensive shortcomings. We're all aware of how good Amavi is, but perhaps tonight is a reminder that he's still very much developing.

Gardner is the weakness for me and although I'm happy to keep him as a squad player because there's clearly some ability there, he seems weak defensively and hasn't offered much going forward. If he can replace him with some quality, we should be fine. Still a work in progress.

and that it's his first competitive game back for almost a year!

1 minute ago, andym said:

the last 20 minutes was pathetic. We were all over them, should have been going for the jugular and instead we gradually got more and mroe cautious, let Luton get back into it, and of course under a bit of pressure we fold like a cheap tent.

Comes across as typical Villa, but we have to remember this isn't our first string and confidence is still fragile. I think we will get there eventually!

Positive for first 20/25 minutes then we have let them into the game.

Richards is such a liability, we need a new right back. He can't even defend at this level.

Not being impressed so far by Gardner and Tshibola but time to make an impression. Still need a new midfielder.

Ayew needs to calm the f*** down!

Not to panic quite yet. RDM needs to get their heads back on straight; but clearly showing we still need players.