Match Thread: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

As good as Ayew is going forward he really leaves Cissokho exposed, feel sorry for him as they are really attacking down his side the whole time. 

Hopefully Grealish comes on second half, I just hope Di Matteo doesn't leave it too late to make the required substitutions 

• Like 1

Our midfield was invisible. Westwood, I didn't know was playing and Gardner was awful. Left back we struggle and Gestede is anonymous in this formation. I was expecting a hard game but most of the problems are our own, that midfield needs to get a grip of the game.

1 minute ago, Bunnski said:

So I see Westwood getting the usualusu negative bullshit in here despite him being one of our better players and having a solid game so far.  Gardner has been terrible and I'd really like more pace upfront, I'd have gardner and gestede off for tishbola and freakish and put ayew upfront, McCormack being not being match fit might mean gestede plays the full game tho

Westwood has been far from decent. Much better than Gardner but that's not saying much. 

Changes need to happen at half time. Take bacuna off and put on Toshiba and play 4-3-3. Ayew isn't defending anyway and Westwood and Gardner can't cope playing as a two. Bacuna is just awful.

Edited by villa89

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You're right, we need a lot more quality to come in. But the selection is hardly making things easier, no width, no creativity. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's the first game of the season ffs. Shall we give him a chance to change things in the second half?

With the lack of midfield talent currently at his disposal, we at least need more bodies in there as a stop-gap.

McCormack will probably come off sometime in the second half due to fitness, but I'd get Tish on for Gardner, Grealish on for Gestede asap leaving the third sub for RM when / if he needs to come off.

1 minute ago, supermon said:

Can't really blame Gestede, what's he had to work with? Did we even have a corner that half? 

Midfield aren't providing a Base for the attack to develop 

They've hoofed the ball to him and surprise surprise he can neither flick it on or hold it up, rendering McCormack useless.  Ayew the only one who can carry the ball forward, they need to bring on Jack to take on Ayew's role so he can play in the final third, and leave Gestede in a dumpster at the services on the way back.  Is it possible for a football team to actually do anything with a lump as shit as Rudy up front?

• Like 2

Westwood, Hutton, Cissokho, Gestede & Bacuna are still shite then, who would have thought it?

Ayew really shouldn't be given any defensive duties, get him up top instead of Gestede and bring on Grealish or Amavi.

• Like 1

Gardner has to come off. Besides being shite, he is a send off waiting to happen. Cissoko needs a rocket, as he has been counter productive.

Exactly what i said in the pre match thread, our midfield is lacking real bite and athleticism. Tshibola has that ability however we need another player.

Our issue is that we are playing with two deep lying midfielders that are not good at that role.  Our defence is good so is our front line. Our midfield needs real investment.