International Football General Chat

villa4europe

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

You're probably right but it will be very annoying if you get a goal in the last minute which is given by the ref only for video technology to not give it and you have lost £500 because of it.

Surely that's nowhere near as annoying as a goal being wrongly given under the current system and you losing £500 because of it?

IN your scenario you've lost £500 because the RIGHT decision has been made. In mine you've lost it because the wrong decision has been made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

On the face of it I agree.  And when you take into account WHO they've banned, you've got to assume they've decided to make a high profile example of respecting officials.  Of course we don't know what he said to him.  But it's hard to imagine anything that would warrant 4 games under normal circumstances.

But on an unrelated note, that's the international matches out of the way now :hooray:

True.  I hate the abuse refs and linos get and if someone oversteps the mark they deserve a red card or possibly a retrospective ban, but four games is mental.  It just sounded like a fairly common if nasty insult, I doubt FIFA would even give four matches for racist abuse in past years.  I would have thought Bacuna's barge is worse than swear words.

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

I was having a discussion with my brother whether this type of video technology is good for betting, particularly the goal market. I think it will be bad.

I do this as a hobby so had some money on France scoring when they did. Annoying but it happens anyway when goals get chalked off when the linesman isn't sure if a player is interfering so has to discuss with the ref.

15 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

True.  I hate the abuse refs and linos get and if someone oversteps the mark they deserve a red card or possibly a retrospective ban, but four games is mental.  It just sounded like a fairly common if nasty insult, I doubt FIFA would even give four matches for racist abuse in past years.  I would have thought Bacuna's barge is worse than swear words.

I think four games is fine. Insulting someone doing their job is out of order. Bans for racism is a separate issue and for me, they need to be extraordinary. I'd argue they should also be dealt with by the police. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Good goal - yes, indeed is there ever a 'bad' goal if you support that team. However, there is no way it is 'amazing' as per the description, the keeper has it covered but for that last second bobble off the pitch

Yeah, that's why I said decent :P

We had so much better team even ten years ago, shit managers haven't certainly helped. I think biggest disappointment from our managers for me was probably Paatelainen, he had very good season in Scotland before he took charge of our national team, but his squad selections and tactics were regularly pretty confusing.

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think four games is fine. Insulting someone doing their job is out of order. Bans for racism is a separate issue and for me, they need to be extraordinary. I'd argue they should also be dealt with by the police. 

the consistency of it is where the issue is

4 game ban for messi for doing something you see pretty much every game

and banning a player of messi's profile will do absolutely nothing to stop it either, same with throwing the book at chelsea and utd for the shambles the other week, it wont stop it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the consistency of it is where the issue is

4 game ban for messi for doing something you see pretty much every game

and banning a player of messi's profile will do absolutely nothing to stop it either, same with throwing the book at chelsea and utd for the shambles the other week, it wont stop it

Nope, you're completely right. 

They need a pretty rigid scale of offenses/punishments and stick to it. 

I think everything should have a fairly harsh punishment that's outside the realms of normal football. Abusing officials, racism, spitting, etc aren't "part of the game" and players should be hammered for it. 

But like you say, Messi got 4 games and next week a player will do something similar the ref will have a word and nothing else will happen it's stupid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes should be half that

And depending on the format of the finals, it might be half that after ONE game, meaning the weaker (and usually therefore poorer) federations will have to go to all the planning of getting there and all of the logistics that go with that, for one solitary **** game.

It's just a mess now isn't it.

IF any nation gets there they should get absolute minimum 2 games, should be 3 minimum imo.

It was a really cheap way to get elected by the new president, something which cheapens and devalues the competition but would get votes through due to the large number of fringe nations who would otherwise have zero chance of getting there.

A bit like a potential PM promising benefits and minimum wage to be doubled. It would get voted through due to the volume of people that would benefit but it would ultimately ruin the country.

FIFA and UEFA (and the IOC, and probably every other big sports organization) needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

As for FIFA and EUFA it's like they're intentionally trying to devalue their tournaments, it's become a farce now. The last EURO's was an abortion, the next one will be even worse.

France was the last tournament where fans could actually follow their team on location without going bankrupt or risk their lives.

Russia will be a carnage.

The next Euro's will be played in something like 18 countries making travel and accommodation very expensive and time consuming. 

Qatar is just a bad joke.

And then it will only get worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sne said:

FIFA and UEFA (and the IOC, and probably every other big sports organization) needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

As for FIFA and EUFA it's like they're intentionally trying to devalue their tournaments, it's become a farce now. The last EURO's was an abortion, the next one will be even worse.

France was the last tournament where fans could actually follow their team on location without going bankrupt or risk their lives.

Russia will be a carnage.

The next Euro's will be played in something like 18 countries making travel and accommodation very expensive and time consuming. 

Qatar is just a bad joke.

And then it will only get worse.

I agree.  Maybe it's similar to the current world political landscape.  It has to be allowed to get as bad or batshit as it possibly can, before people cop the **** on and bring it all back into the realms of sanity.  But it's a process that must run its course :)

The IOC were about 20 years ago I think

i think some of it came to light after the watches incident in Brazil, no doubt more people will be investigating Russia and especially Qatar, the credit card bills and expenses claims that must come in after the World Cup...it's a month long all expenses paid tear up

i bet there's a fair few $1k steaks being bought at 2am

13 hours ago, BOF said:

And depending on the format of the finals, it might be half that after ONE game, meaning the weaker (and usually therefore poorer) federations will have to go to all the planning of getting there and all of the logistics that go with that, for one solitary **** game.

some of the stronger nations are poor starters though. Spain, France, Italy, England and Brazil have all been knocked out of recent tournaments early

If it happened again and say 4 heavy hitters didnt make the knockouts FIFA will be quick to amend the format

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise joint World Cup 2026 bid by Canada, USA and Mexico. I reckon it's a shoe-in, but I don't understand why the USSF decided they needed to go this route. Not that I particularly care either way. 48 teams, LOL the World Cup is finished.

Â