International Football General Chat

villa4europe

Holland fecked up my accy.

They will be back though eventually I think...their youth infrastructure is far superior to Britain's so they should be back in next 5-10 years.

Think this is just a terrible generation of players now likes of Robben are well into their 30s.

Apparently they started a 17 year old at CB who's played 2 games in the Dutch league? That is a shambles.

3 hours ago, Jarpie said:

Finland lost again, and even as armchair watcher I can see exactly where the problem is with tacticts, they try to play too fancy when they should be playing more direct and simple because the skill-level just doesn't cut it.

Get Woy back....took qualification to the last game didn't he?

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Get Woy back....took qualification to the last game didn't he?

Yeah but our attack was so inefficient under him, imo we were closer in 1998 qualification when we'd gone to playoffs against Yugoslavia if we'd won Hungary in the last game.

"Going into the last match, Finland would have needed a win at home to Hungary to earn a place in the play-offs. They led the game 1–0 going into injury time, but scored an own goal, and once again the dreams of qualification were over."

In late 90s and early 2000s we probably had our best football generation with Litmanen, Tainio, Kolkka, Johansson etc.

Yes 98-2004 was Finland's best chance of making a tournament as you had major stars in Litmanen, Hyypia, good keepers in Jussi and Anti Niemi and a solid core with likes of Forssell, Tainio, Johnathan Johannsson, Kuqi all decent players in the English league.

It reminds me of Iceland now....a major star in Glyfi and a decent core of reliable solid players.

Looking at the current Finland side very little to be excited of given Eremenko is banned now. Pukki did little at Celtic. I did see Joel Pohjanpalo score a hat-trick for Leverkusen start of the season, is he seen as your best prospect by a mile?

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes 98-2004 was Finland's best chance of making a tournament as you had major stars in Litmanen, Hyypia, good keepers in Jussi and Anti Niemi and a solid core with likes of Forssell, Tainio, Johnathan Johannsson, Kuqi all decent players in the English league.

It reminds me of Iceland now....a major star in Glyfi and a decent core of reliable solid players.

Looking at the current Finland side very little to be excited of given Eremenko is banned now. Pukki did little at Celtic. I did see Joel Pohjanpalo score a hat-trick for Leverkusen start of the season, is he seen as your best prospect by a mile?

Probably, Pukki is not completely lost cause but I remember reading comments that he's not exactly most enthuatistic about training. Most of our promising youths goes to hockey which is understamdable.

Our big problem has always been incostistency, we might win Portugal 2-0 and next lose to Moldova 2-0.

Edited by Jarpie

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Holland fecked up my accy.

They will be back though eventually I think...their youth infrastructure is far superior to Britain's so they should be back in next 5-10 years.

Think this is just a terrible generation of players now likes of Robben are well into their 30s.

Apparently they started a 17 year old at CB who's played 2 games in the Dutch league? That is a shambles.

will they though, Ajax has always been a major developer for Dutch football and not much has come through academy recently. Their squad at moment has 1 world class player, 1 used to be world class player and a lot of players that have been rejects at clubs recently like Lens, Vorm, Janssen, De Jong, Cillessen

10 hours ago, andym said:

Belgium losing at home to Greece as well, goal 20 seconds into the 2nd half

Martinez working his magic again

Great result by us last night, ashame about lukakus behaviour though 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

will they though, Ajax has always been a major developer for Dutch football and not much has come through academy recently. Their squad at moment has 1 world class player, 1 used to be world class player and a lot of players that have been rejects at clubs recently like Lens, Vorm, Janssen, De Jong, Cillessen

Feyenoord tends to produce more these days doesn't it? It's not something you can predict straight away given the current players would be 15 or 16 years old.

Looking at their current crop you've got Virgil Van Djik who missed this round with injury. I don't understand why they didn't Wesley Hoedt last night in defence as he's a solid player for Lazio who are having a really good season, same with de Vrji.

Then you have likes of Strootman and Wjandulam (home games only) in midfield. Jorde Claise looked alright in the world cup but has he done anything for Southampton

I think they lack massive quality upfront now though...the era of RVP, Huntaleer is over and Robben will probably retire from the national team after this campaign. A showpony like Memphis Depay and Bas Dost isn't going to cut it really so they need a decent striker to come through as Janssen hasn't turned out as well as I thought he would at Spurs.

I just don't think they'll go in terminal decline, there's too much raw talent that comes through but they probably need to have a serious debate over their style of play now.

I'd actually say they're on par with England but with England's better seeding they get easier qualifying groups. England would struggle in a group with Sweden and France after all.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Belgium's biggest issue is the manager.

The last two actually. I have defended Martinez but he is so stuck in his ways. Greece down to 10 men and offerering no threat, if that was Enrique he would have took off two defenders. oh no not Martinez he just changed like for like and didn't even bring Benteke on when there were so many crosses going into the box. And Fellani playing ahead of Dembele!

56 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The last two actually. I have defended Martinez but he is so stuck in his ways. Greece down to 10 men and offerering no threat, if that was Enrique he would have took off two defenders. oh no not Martinez he just changed like for like and didn't even bring Benteke on when there were so many crosses going into the box. And Fellani playing ahead of Dembele!

I've said it for years, Martinez is a poor manager. I said it when we were linked with him both times.

Belgium haven't had much of a history of international success either, so I don't think they really believe that they're going to win things.  It takes a proper manager to sort that out.  I can't think of many other nations who all of a sudden go from mediocrity for decades to having ridiculous depth of quality in such a short time.  I think if they hadn't lost so many defenders at the Euros they may have won it anyway.

Azerbaijan just equalised v Germany.

Wouldn't shock me if we see them in a tournament in the near future, they've improved a lot from last 10 years when they were whipping boys in a group, they could easily finish above Czechs and Norway in this section.

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Azerbaijan just equalised v Germany.

Wouldn't shock me if we see them in a tournament in the near future, they've improved a lot from last 10 years when they were whipping boys in a group, they could easily finish above Czechs and Norway in this section.

they were slaughtered by Northern Ireland last time out and think they are very far off. They only struggled to beat San Marino 1-0 as well

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

they were slaughtered by Northern Ireland last time out and think they are very far off. They only struggled to beat San Marino 1-0 as well

Norn Iron are comfortably the second best team in the group. Azeri took 4 points off Czech and Norway without conceding a goal.

It will be interesting if Norway have a late rally under Lagerback, their squad is slowly starting to improve.

Â