2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

compare the words emanating from the official PR drone to the pictures and words of independent folk!!!

Not that we should judge too much, as we only got around to sorting out our big city rivers etc. in the 90/00s.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't these scare stories pop up before every sporting tournament.

Yes and no.

There are usually some like maybe some ISIS plot uncovered to derail an event, but even removing acts of terror from the menu there have already been half a dozen maybe more things that have already gone wrong. This event is a bit different as it all appears to be a bit of a shit show. 

The Atlanta 96 Olympics had an actual terror attack at Centennial Park, hopefully this won't be as bad.

The World cup went OK(ish) but in hindsight Rio should never have gotten the games.

They got it thanks to bribes, corruption and Joao Havelange.

IOC is just as corrupt as FIFA, UEFA and IAAF

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's like the moment before an accident - you can see it coming and it feels like slow motion, but you know inevitably there's going to be some damage done soon enough.

It does seem inevitable that something will go badly wrong at these games I hope I'm wrong as I love the Olympics, even if the cheats and the cowards have taken away some of the shine.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sne said:

The Atlanta 96 Olympics had an actual terror attack at Centennial Park, hopefully this won't be as bad.

The World cup went OK(ish) but in hindsight Rio should never have gotten the games.

They got it thanks to bribes, corruption and Joao Havelange.

IOC is just as corrupt as FIFA, UEFA and IAAF

and the FA, your government... or practically every large conglomeration of humans ever.

My understanding is UKAD do this system of drop what you're doing you're going to get tested where they phone or text the athlete to ask where they are

She missed 2 of them last year, cancelled 1 this year because of a family thing, missed 3 tests, got a ban

The problem is UKAD didn't follow their own procedures in notifying her that she'd missed the first 2 tests, which I think she's backed up with the argument that she missed a call whilst Sat in the team hotel during the world championships, they knew where she was and could have gone to see her in person 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My understanding is UKAD do this system of drop what you're doing you're going to get tested where they phone or text the athlete to ask where they are

She missed 2 of them last year, cancelled 1 this year because of a family thing, missed 3 tests, got a ban

The problem is UKAD didn't follow their own procedures in notifying her that she'd missed the first 2 tests, which I think she's backed up with the argument that she missed a call whilst Sat in the team hotel during the world championships, they knew where she was and could have gone to see her in person 

She shouldn't be competing after missing three drugs tests, although in her defence I often forget about things when I'm on drugs too :D

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No. The athlete registers on a database their whereabouts. They must specify a location where they will be for one hour a day (ie the testers should know in advance where to find the athlete).

If circumstances change, the athlete can update their location up to one minute before the slot.

Athletes are given the benefit of the doubt for two missed whereabouts tests in 12 months (used to be 18 months).

CAS's reasoning will not be published which is great news for transparency.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

karate, baseball, sports climbing, skateboarding and surfing added as sports in tokyo 2020

Karate Skateboarding would make an awesome sport.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

karate, baseball, sports climbing, skateboarding and surfing added as sports in tokyo 2020

Baseball FFS,  no way should that be in the Olympics.  Not only is it shit but the actual "Ball in Play" time is embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's a huge sport in Japan though, my problem with it is it's not a proper global sport it would be like us trying to add cricket, or even rugby sevens which is in Rio

Watching it must be awful,  what is the best thing that can happen at a game ? If you are talking about historic games with your mates,  what can be the big difference between what Batter X did in game Z compared to game Y ?

He hit it hard,  he hit it well hard and all the men ran in a square whilst not being touched by the ball? It's a bit like cricket without the skill I suppose ? It's not like they look where the fielders are and think,  I will put it over there.  They just seem pleased to hit it now and then.

• Like 2

Â