2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

Haven't really watched that much so far, bit of boxing, bit of table tennis, currently got gymnastics on

would say attendances look shit, iirc early doors at London they weren't brilliant and the response was its sold out what can we do but the boxing especially was really poorly attended 

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The cyclist has a severe concussion and has broken some bones in her back. That's "okay" as in no spinal damage and not paralysed.

Ouch.

Thank goodness she wasn't paralysed, I wish her well on her recovery. I know you can't pass my sentiments on, don't worry, no pressure.

empathy-e1372105249597-1024x703.gif

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The cyclist has a severe concussion and has broken some bones in her back. That's "okay" as in no spinal damage and not paralysed.

Ouch.

I don't follow cycling and don't know how courses usually look, but isn't having a concrete edge that high in a corner extremely stupid and dangerous?

krasch.jpg

-----------

Sarah Sjöström smashes the world record and wins by a second in the 100m butterfly. Monster!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ouch.

Tbh, my first fear on seeing it was that she done her neck and she wasn't going to get up from it.

3 hours ago, Tegis said:

I don't follow cycling and don't know how courses usually look, but isn't having a concrete edge that high in a corner extremely stupid and dangerous?

Yep. Chris Boardman was banging on about it. He said he'd recce'd the course before the races and was horrified by those kerbs on tight bends. He brought it to the attention of the organisers but they just shrugged. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/08/rio-2016-bullet-fired-equestrian-media-centre-shot-favela

The bullet that flew through the media work room at Rio 2016’s equestrian venue on Saturday was fired at a police blimp from one of the Brazilian city’s notorious favelas.

Mario Andrada, the chief spokesman for Rio 2016’s organising committee, said the intended target was a security camera on the blimp and not the international equestrian media.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. Chris Boardman was banging on about it. He said he'd recce'd the course before the races and was horrified by those kerbs on tight bends. He brought it to the attention of the organisers but they just shrugged. 

An Olympics that is already struggling for cash is never going to re-lay the kerb on 250km of road.

Namibian boxer reportedly arrested on allegations of sexual assault in Olympic Village

Namibian boxer Jonas Junius has been arrested in Rio in connection with an attempted sexual assault of an Olympic Village housekeeper, according to Al Jazeera's Gabriel Elizondo.

Junius, 22, was Namibia's flag-bearer during the opening ceremony. Police reportedly told Elizondo that Junius allegedly tried to force himself on a housekeeper in the athlete village.

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/namibia-boxer-jonas-junius-reportedly-arrested-rio-olympics-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Edited by sne

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

since we are still a laughing joke in sports world

Michael Phelps has won more Olympic gold medals (19) than Aston Villa got Prem League points last season (17)

i am years older (32) than michael phelps has olympic gold medals (19)

uncorrelated stats for the win!

• Like 1

Â