2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

I went to a Nationals game last year and quite enjoyed it, but I was in the CNN box and quite enjoyed eating Nachos but cant tell you much about the game. I have the same feelings over Cricket and probably Golf too (although enjoy PGA on the playstation). Im looking forward to the running/cycling events, especially Traithlon and the Road Race/TT, but not always the best spectator sports.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's a huge sport in Japan though, my problem with it is it's not a proper global sport it would be like us trying to add cricket, or even rugby sevens which is in Rio

Rugby sevens is a very global sport, far more so than baseball. The current World Series has nigh on 20 teams and I think there are qualifiers for the smaller nations. Baseball on the other hand has very few nations playing it.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 10:11, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It's a bit like cricket without the skill I suppose ? It's not like they look where the fielders are and think,  I will put it over there.  They just seem pleased to hit it now and then.

Totally different game.

Cricket is baseball where you don't have to throw as accurate, you don't have to hit as accurate, there's generally less of a punishment for not swinging and you don't have to run unless you want to. 

I'm surprised much cricket and rugby snobbery still exists in Europe. Judging by attendance figures, I wasn't aware people still actually watched them. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Rugby sevens is a very global sport, far more so than baseball. The current World Series has nigh on 20 teams and I think there are qualifiers for the smaller nations. Baseball on the other hand has very few nations playing it.

A quick search would show that World Rugby represents 120 countries whereas the International Baseball federation represents 124 nations (77 with organised leagues)

28 teams fight it out for the World Baseball Classic which is a similar number to both Cricket and Rugby. The relative strength of these teams also show a similar pattern with around 10 strong countries dominating the rest of the developing countries.

Ugh, the crashes in the cycle road race. Much be so painful, the speed is unreal. 

No one seems to have a clue where Froome is exactly. The production doesn't seem the best, no one seems to have any idea exactly where the racers are...

3 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Why? I've been out most of the day so haven't watched any of it.

The venue isn't suitable for it. The water is so choppy every competitor is hamstrung. Steve Redgrave was pretty much saying it's verging on needing to postponed as it was nearing the point that you couldn't actually perform to a competent standard.

I'm not anywhere near an expert on any form of rowing but you could see the competitors were fighting to actually race, the wind was so bad they were having to go diagonally to go straight and were having to constantly adjust to stop the chop binning them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

The venue isn't suitable for it. The water is so choppy every competitor is hamstrung. Steve Redgrave was pretty much saying it's verging on needing to postponed as it was nearing the point that you couldn't actually perform to a competent standard.

I'm not anywhere near an expert on any form of rowing but you could see the competitors were fighting to actually race, the wind was so bad they were having to go diagonally to go straight and were having to constantly adjust to stop the chop binning them.

Cheers, not surprising that the venue isn't suitable.

45 minutes ago, hogso said:

Ugh, the crashes in the cycle road race. Much be so painful, the speed is unreal. 

Speaking of, the gymnast on the Vault breaking his leg, :puke: Samir Ait Said if one feels compelled to watch

33 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Happy that Greg van Avermaet won a gold in cycling. Proper rider good in a lot of things.

Majka must be a bit gutted though. Must have thought he was on to a winner when Nibali and the other bloke took a tumble.

Edited by snowychap

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Majka must be a bit gutted though. Must have thought he was on to a winner when Nibali and the other bloke took a tumble.

Was a bit surprised he got caught myself but that happens when the races are really long like the world championships and olympics are. Riders just run out of steam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Was a bit surprised he got caught myself but that happens when the races are really long like the world championships and olympics are. Riders just run out of steam.

He was in so many breakaways in the Tour (and was King of the Mountains?) that it may well just have caught up with him as it's only been three weeks, hasn't it?

If your interested in the Olympics, BBC-HD Have dedicated channels showing various live events on the following Sky EPG 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479... 

And in SD... 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 2

Â