Memory Lane

maqroll

Linked to memory lane maybe, sliding door moments.

if I hadn’t met my friend at London Victoria train station in September 1990 and not lost my passport for our trip to Cyprus the following day which meant I didn’t meet the Australian girl on what would have been our last evening in the UK together before she went back to Perth, would I have moved to Perth as expected or met my wife of 32 years in Ayia Napa that same week.

9 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

if I hadn’t met my friend at London Victoria train station in September 1990 and not lost my passport for our trip to Cyprus the following day which meant I didn’t meet the Australian girl on what would have been our last evening in the UK together before she went back to Perth, would I have moved to Perth as expected or met my wife of 32 years in Ayia Napa that same week.

Yep, my life (and everybody's) is full of those. And you only owe your existence to similar events in your parents' lives - and those of countless ancestors, going back to the start of time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

1970 Joke. 

What is black and white and travels across water at 250mph?

Mountbatten's peaked cap.  

1970’s joke

How did they know Mountbatten had dandruff?

They found his head and shoulders on the beach 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the first time I saw an 'homeless person', was in a City centre one early moring when having to catch a train, I guess I was maybe seven or eight, had a picture in my head of what they might look like probably from TV and movies, but seeing it for real, an actual person lying on the floor outside really shocked me.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Talking of homeless people, do any black country Villans remember the tramp who lived on the ring road in Wolverhampton 

Yes.   His name was Fred and he was considered a holy man one of the local Hindu temples.  They would feed him and make sure his tent was in good repair.  

I remember when one joker installed a Sky dish for him.  

He had 2 amazing backstories neither of which was ever confirmed.  

Some of his family claim that he fled to England in 1939 to join the free Polish Army,  

But other said that he joined the Nazis and fought with the Africa corps.  He was captured and held as a POW. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 24/01/2023 at 22:22, Sid4ever said:

I always find little random things like that  interesting

I randomly selected a travel agency from google  to book a transfer in Hungary and my email went through to a lady by the name of Helga 

She had a dentist appointment and passed the email to her colleague to look after it and we started exchanging emails  ... I've been married to Helga's colleague for 21 years now 

Had I picked a different random agency  or sent that email minutes earlier or later , my life would most likely have been totally different

• Like 4

It would seem to be a truism that kids of my generation often thought that the name of the district with the local mental hospital was the generic term for all mental hospitals. So that, as a Brummie, I assumed that all towns and cities would have an institution called 'Rubery'. When I moved to Leeds, I discovered that the local saying was "I'll end up in Menston". For my wife (Exeter), it was 'Digby'. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It would seem to be a truism that kids of my generation often thought that the name of the district with the local mental hospital was the generic term for all mental hospitals. So that, as a Brummie, I assumed that all towns and cities would have an institution called 'Rubery'. When I moved to Leeds, I discovered that the local saying was "I'll end up in Menston". For my wife (Exeter), it was 'Digby'. 

I was a young adult before I found out Shelton was an actual place locally and not the common name for mental hospitals.

• Thanks 1

On 25/01/2023 at 12:17, PussEKatt said:

Here is an old joke then.

In a German prisoner of war camp,the commandant says at rollcall.

Today we will change our underwear,hut 1 will change with hut2,hut 3 will change with hut4,etc

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It was Highcroft in North Brum.

It even looked scary. 

0-TRMRMMGLPICT000021031305.jpg

11 hours ago, Xela said:

It was Highcroft in North Brum.

It even looked scary. 

0-TRMRMMGLPICT000021031305.jpg

You can see that from The Holte End car park.  I spent ages on Google Maps one evening trying to find out what it was. You can buy an apartment in there now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Hollymoor hospital football pitch was our cub pack's home football ground for a time on account of the Akela being a psychiatric nurse there. Goalkeeping there was a real joy - the full size goals with no nets, the quagmire of a goal mouth, the leaky defence that put Villa's 2015/16 vintage to shame, and the regular and long trip down to the ditch to look at the barbed wire and fetch the ball after yet another concession.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

You can buy an apartment in there now

What with 'care in the community', many old psychiatric hospitals have been redeveloped as housing. I think they should give them addresses along the lines of:

Paranoia House,

22b Schizophrenia Terrace,

The Old Lunatic Asylum,

Menston. 

Â