Memory Lane

maqroll

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Berni Inn menu, early 1970s: 

FB_IMG_1690571949526.jpg

Bread roll and butter.

I was saying to my wife yesterday, when going to any restaurant as a kid in the 90s, I have memories of everyone on the table always being given a warm bread roll from a basket. I used to enjoy that more than the meal.

We might be running out of things to talk about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/04/2023 at 21:26, Chindie said:

St. Margaret's in Great Barr is another mental institution that became a housing development.

Yes used to live off Chapel Lane as a kid. My mom and dad are buried at the cemetery next to the entrance and I used to take short cuts through it. Great Barr house, not sure if that is still there. It was the last time I looked.

On 28/07/2023 at 20:20, mjmooney said:

Berni Inn menu, early 1970s: 

FB_IMG_1690571949526.jpg

Yugoslavia - renowned for its fine wines.  

Wasn't there a scandal in the 70s when Yugoslvia wine was exposed as grape juice mixed with industrial alcohol??? 

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Yugoslavia - renowned for its fine wines.  

Wasn't there a scandal in the 70s when Yugoslvia wine was exposed as grape juice mixed with industrial alcohol??? 

Slovenian reisling. Which is quite nice but probably not from 70's Yugoslavian Slovenia. 

Because I'm a sucker for interesting facts about 70's shopping, Sainsbury's sold it.

SA_PKC_PRO_1_18_2_4_16_3_4hr.jpg.f04d003f30f78bdc7548f4b908d88911.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 21:39, sidcow said:

And Monyhull in Kings Norton/Heath.

I know it's very inappropriate now but my boss way back when said Monyhull was a big nuthouse. Didn't matter how mad you were but you had to be over six foot to get in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my sister came over last night with a load of my old match magazines, dug them out of the loft at my folks house. About 10 in amazing condition all from about 89-90. Such a trip down memory lane, brilliant nostalgia.

What got me was the open ness of the interviews, not the sort of thing you see today. People talk about moves or ambitions, rather than just giving nicely rehearsed soundbites.

• Like 4

Sometimes I find it’s the less obvious things from yesteryear that evoke a strong sense of nostalgia or just “ah that takes me back”.

One such thing is when I occasionally spot this neighbourhood watch sign. In particular, the male character’s mutton chops.

IMG_0142.webp.2f6423de9560f1ffcf721a355a57bf3f.webp

Not really sure what it is about it that evokes this nostalgia, I viewed it as a bit of an old thing from before my time when I was a kid, bit like the test card (for whatever reason my gran had a picture of Terry Wogan with the test card background hung up on her pantry cupboard door).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, useless said:

I remember playing snakes and ladders on the dining room table by the patio windows through which I could see the frosty garden

When, last week? ;)

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

We used to go to Savacentre in Oldbury every Saturday.

Distant memories of grim Saturdays in November, sitting in the back of the car, parents bickering in the front while the rain pelted down on the way to Savacentre. Hoping that I'd hear the WM siren and it would be the Villa scoring. Simpler times.

Moved into this thread...

A treat for me as a kid was a trip to Oldbury Toys R Us! From memory it was bigger than the Dale End city centre one. 

Other memories were sitting in the car (gold Ford Granada 2.3L) with my Dad at Kwik Save in New Oscott, while Mom was inside doing the shopping, and listening to the DLT Radio One quiz. 

Loved that WM noise as well! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Moved into this thread...

A treat for me as a kid was a trip to Oldbury Toys R Us! From memory it was bigger than the Dale End city centre one. 

I drove along the M5 today.  I commented to Mrs Lifeboats that we still refer to J2 as the "Toys R Us" junction. 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2023 at 14:58, Xela said:

Love this. What a fascinating character our KW was. 

A fascinating journey through Kenneth Williams favourite erections and ones he felt were completely inappropriate. 

Â