Memory Lane

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I remember when there was nothing on the TV.  I mean literally nothing.  The 3 TV channels would close down around midnight and not reopen until mid morning. 

Watching football on a black and white TV.  Sometimes the only way to tell the teams apart was the colour of their socks. 

The first programmeseach day were educational programmes for school children.  A simple clock would count down to the beginning.  

Televisions were very expensive. Most people rented them.  Some even had coin slots to allow you to pay by the minute. 

The first TV i remember at home was a Ferguson one. It was on casters and was in a wooden case. 

We had a black and white portable as well, which I eventually had in my room. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

We had a black and white portable as well, which I eventually had in my room. 

Me too. I had a black and white portable to watch Blakes Seven which clashed with something the adults wanted to watch.  

I would watch the TV whilst in the bath.  The TV was on top of a washing basket next the the bath.  In those days electrocution was considered character building. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I remember when there was nothing on the TV.  I mean literally nothing.  The 3 TV channels would close down around midnight and not reopen until mid morning. 

Watching football on a black and white TV.  Sometimes the only way to tell the teams apart was the colour of their socks. 

The first programmeseach day were educational programmes for school children.  A simple clock would count down to the beginning.  

Televisions were very expensive. Most people rented them.  Some even had coin slots to allow you to pay by the minute. 

Watching television used to be really expensive. 

Then for several years it became really cheap.

And now it's incredibly expensive again if you want the full package. I mean really really expensive. 

In 1992 Bruce Springsteen recorded a song called "57 Channels and Nothing On". 

Now (broadcast) TV has bloody hundreds of channels. 

And still nothing on. 

No wonder streaming is so dominant. 

My nan’s TV had the coin box and turn key.

When my dad had enough money he bought it outright for her, which essentially meant he was given the key for the coin box so he could remove it and just feed the same 10p coin through over and over again.

The boy done good by his mum.

• Like 3

When I was a kid, my parents and I once spent a dreary Sunday in a chalet in Aberystwyth, off season. It was pouring with rain and all the shops and pubs were shut. There was a black and white TV, so my Dad - already not in the best of moods - switched it on as a last resort. Five minutes later the money ran out. And we didn't have any change. 

I think I learned a few new swear words that day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

My nan’s TV had the coin box and turn key.

When my dad had enough money he bought it outright for her, which essentially meant he was given the key for the coin box so he could remove it and just feed the same 10p coin through over and over again.

The boy done good by his mum.

I imagine there was a few people who managed to fiddle with them to stop them cutting off?

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I imagine there was a few people who managed to fiddle with them to stop them cutting off?

Nice try, undercover meter policeman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Oh yeah. 

I remember staying in a hotel in Nottingham with a pay TV in the room.  A washer with a piece of string was all you needed to see Gary Glitter on "This Is Your Life" for free. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

TV during school holiday.....

Champion The Wonder Horse/Flash Gordon

Why Don't You?

The Singing Ringing Tree/ Finger Bobs 

Rhubarb and Custard

Rainbow/Pipkins/Charlton and the Wheelies

Trumpton/Camblewick Green

Bagpuss

Playschool

Grange Hill/ Michael Bentines Potty Time

Blue Peter/Take Hart

Newsround

Ivor The Engine/ Willow The Whisp

Tuckers Luck/Press Gang/The Adventure Game

We must be very close in age!

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Me too. I had a black and white portable to watch Blakes Seven which clashed with something the adults wanted to watch.  

I would watch the TV whilst in the bath.  The TV was on top of a washing basket next the the bath.  In those days electrocution was considered character building. 

I used to watch the snooker on my b/w TV. 

That added an element of uncertainty to it all. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Why Don't You?

Blue Peter

Always felt like extra learning.

Edited by Xela

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used to watch the snooker on my b/w TV. 

That added an element of uncertainty to it all. 

For those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green 

• Like 1

This show is always one of the first that comes to mind as a child in the 70's.

Kids TV was a totally different kettle of fish in those days. Pretty much zero budget meant very, very low production values. Crap lighting, loads of greys and browns, sinister looking puppets held together with sticky back plastic and greats like Brian Cant and Derek Griffiths ruled the roost.

It was fantastic.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Champion The Wonder Horse/Flash Gordon

Why Don't You?

The Singing Ringing Tree/ Finger Bobs 

Rhubarb and Custard

Rainbow/Pipkins/Charlton and the Wheelies

Trumpton/Camblewick Green

Bagpuss

Playschool