Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ive been going to VP for over 40 year. I always enjoy it and look forward to going. I just believe in general a good team wins matches and sits higher in the table. I can not tolerate 'we played well but conceded 2 daft goals' - playing well is that you don't concede daft goals.

I've not used those specific words, have I?

32 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes, really. If that's all you're going to use to judge a performance then don't bother watching the games. You're wasting your time. 

At no point did I say it was not to be factored in. But it's pointless coming on here to chat about the team if all you are interested in taking about is the score. I know the scores off by heart, I go home and away, barely miss a kick. 

I come here to talk about the team as a whole. I'm not interested in "we're shit because we didn't win", it gets boring fast. 

Don't worry the league will factor it in.

I don't recall saying that. My general point is we have beaten Rotherham at home - thats it - thats not the hallmark of a promotion winning team. Now you can bluster on about how we have the post x amount of times - but thats only an issue if we don't win games. 

Its often been said that the mark of a good team - is that it can play poorly but still grind out wins. Weve had a couple of the ropey's (Luton, Bristol City) as well as the post hitting bonaza's you are basing your optimism on. - Weve also faded badly in game like Huddersfield.

I suppose it comes down to you see it changing - Where as I don't see an upturn in the offing capable of making us promotion contenders. 

That said I expect us to win tonight. I think Tony has put the pressure on with his no excuses mantra !

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No. The football wasn't even close to being good enough. We never looked like winning games, never mind scoring goals. 

I'm glad you're not chairman, we'd have Pearson or Moyes in charge. 

Guilty as charged. 

While not something I condone I think he has 10 games before the clock starts ticking, should only lose 1 of the next 10 in my opinion, if we are to fight for promotion we need to put the ground work in now:

Brentford Home (WIN)

Ipswich Away (WIN)

Newcastle Home (LOSE)

Barnsley Away (WIN)

Preston Away (WIN)

Wolves Home (WIN)

Reading Away (DRAW)

Fulham Home (WIN)

Birmingham Away (DRAW)

Blackburn Home (WIN)

Been unlucky with the results recently, need to turn the dominance and chances into results. 

7 minutes ago, Nicho said:

While not something I condone I think he has 10 games before the clock starts ticking, should only lose 1 of the next 10 in my opinion, if we are to fight for promotion we need to put the ground work in now:

Brentford Home (WIN)

Ipswich Away (WIN)

Newcastle Home (LOSE)

Barnsley Away (WIN)

Preston Away (WIN)

Wolves Home (WIN)

Reading Away (DRAW)

Fulham Home (WIN)

Birmingham Away (DRAW)

Blackburn Home (WIN)

Been unlucky with the results recently, need to turn the dominance and chances into results. 

Well that will definitely save his job!

5 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Brentford Home (WIN)

Ipswich Away (WIN)

Newcastle Home (LOSE)

Barnsley Away (WIN)

Preston Away (WIN)

Wolves Home (WIN)

Reading Away (DRAW)

Fulham Home (WIN)

Birmingham Away (DRAW)

Blackburn Home (WIN)

I don't think it will be ten games to be honest. I think we will beat Brentford tonight.  - but fear the heat will really be on by the time we play wolves at home.

I agree, win the next two and suddenly things seem a whole lot rosier. It is too early to be worried though, I'm not a Championship veteran but my understanding is that those that peak later tend to do better in the play offs, so all is not lost. 120 points to play for, Derby and Sheff Weds got to the play offs with 78 and 74pts respectively. So that just 23 more wins out of the next 40. More than do-able, but things do have to start changing soon to help us get a good footing to build on. Obviously I hope we win the league though.

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Derby and Sheff Weds got to the play offs with 78 and 74pts respectively. So that just 23 more wins out of the next 40. 

This really puts it into perspective how panicking this early is crazy (IMO)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats that much bad blood between us - it will be almost like a local derby.

Only on one side though, Sob on the tyne, which is hilarious. I couldn't give a toss about them and don't have wish them any ill will other than I hope we finish above them. Mike Ashley isn't a likeable character alright and I don't approve of his company's work practices.

Like I said, my knowledge of the Championship isn't great, but it seems to me that 75 points would put us slap bang in the middle of the play offs for the last few seasons, so I can't imagine this season being much different numerically. I think we'll get that no sweat.

String together 3 wins and think how different the atmosphere would be.

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Theoretically, if we win 4 games and everyone else loses the rest of their games, we'll be promoted.

I did the math.

I know there's a joke in there somewhere but I get the feeling that there are people posting on here who seem to think

2 wins

Great

6pts

Fantastic

That's 6pts gained on everybody in the whole league because all 23 other teams lost

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

I know there's a joke in there somewhere but I get the feeling that there are people posting on here who seem to think

2 wins

Great

6pts

Fantastic

That's 6pts gained on everybody in the whole league because all 23 other teams lost

Haven't seen anyone say anything remotely similar to that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

2 wins

Great

6pts

Fantastic

Is that directed at me then? 

All I was saying was that judging a team over a whole season is the only way to decide who wins a league.

I'm not stupid enough to think that two wins means we win the league... Or stupid enough to think that the league table makes any difference after 6 games played.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Â