Roberto Di Matteo

meme

10 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

CjaA1efWkAIdvHN.jpg:large

Not bad eh?

Did Chelsea play 42 games between March and November? I think they've included his stint as assistant to Villas-Boas in the games played/won, not that that's a critique, he was still there. Unless they did play that many in those months and I'm wrong?

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In all fairness mate a fair percentage of our fans think that. It is all about opinions and there were pros and cons to all the realistic candidates so there was always going to be some in the media and supporters saying so and so would have been a better option based on x,y and z.

In terms of the fans I am sure once it is confirmed then 99% of us will back him. It is to all our benefit that he proves to be a good choice.

This doesn't end with him though. Whoever the manager is going to be is going to need to be able to bring in his favoured back room staff and we also have a number of crucial positions to fill above him. Under Lerner too many of the things above the manager were not in place or those who were in place were out of their depth and lacked the required nous. This, combined with inadequate financial backing, then led to the last four managers working with one hand tied behind their back and that can’t be allowed to happen again as quite frankly be it Di Matteo or any of the other contenders none of them are good enough to overcome the shambolic way the club was being run around them that previous managers have faced.

Yep I agree its all about opinions, but it gets slightly annoying when all you hear from pundits is negativity before any form of positively. This seems to always happen with Villa. I would like to hope that much of the fan base will get behind him as I think if we are united as a fanbase there isn't many other clubs that have as good support on their day (biased i know)

Hopefully now with Xia we will have new leadership with fresh ideas. he already has spoken of moving to Brum, so thats a bonus. we wont have an owner who tries to run a club from abroad. Xia seems to have identified some of the issues the club currently has. He already has said the scouting network is poor, and the first team isnt good enough. I prefer he has said this as opposed to saying once take over has happened we need to investigate areas that need improving as we don't have time for that.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yep I agree its all about opinions, but it gets slightly annoying when all you hear from pundits is negativity before any form of positively. This seems to always happen with Villa. 

Xia seems to have identified some of the issues the club currently has. He already has said the scouting network is poor, and the first team isnt good enough. I prefer he has said this as opposed to saying once take over has happened we need to investigate areas that need improving as we don't have time for that.

The pundits on the radio do it to get a reaction in many cases certainly on talksport as it encourages people to phone in.

I think Xia is almost certainly basing many of his opinions on what needs putting right on the investigation/review that was carried out by Bernstein/Little/King which gives him a head start and means those investigations don’t have to be carried out taking up more of the summer.

Any new manager needs to be able to hit the ground running and be backed to make changes straight away. There is a huge amount of work to be done and the new season starts in just ten weeks.

19 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Big avfc exclusive coming up in birmingham mail at 8-30. Manager news?

It's about the owner acorrding to......

08:24JOSEPH CHAPMAN

ASTON VILLA: BIG news

A very interesting exclusive we have for you coming up very shortly regarding owner-in-waiting Tony Xia, Villa fans!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-mail-football-live-latest-11391352

21 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Did Chelsea play 42 games between March and November? I think they've included his stint as assistant to Villas-Boas in the games played/won, not that that's a critique, he was still there. Unless they did play that many in those months and I'm wrong?

I think they did, they went all the way in the FA cup, the Champions League, the year after they had the Charity Shield, the super cup and the champions league group games too. Throw in all the league games and yeah he managed 42

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Very happy with this. Hopefully he can convince our three or four good players to stay.

Eh? Who?

Ayew? best of a bad bunch but he's not all that. After him I'm struggling to think of any one of them that could be described a good.

The size of the job for The Doc and his new management is going to be huge, somehow they need to get shot of as many of these losers as possible.

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Very happy with this. Hopefully he can convince our three or four good players to stay.

Which 3/4 would that be?

I assume Amavi and Ayew and then maybe Grealish and possibly Traore?

I can't believe how hard it is to compile a list of 4 decent players :lol:

1 minute ago, Craigy1874 said:

I hope the manager is given total free rein to get rid of who he wants (or banish them to the reserves). 

I also really hope he doesnt get fooled into keeping, in particular, gabby lescott and richards. 

For me Guzan, Bacuna, Lescott, Richards and Gabby need to be shown the door.....

36 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Got these stats from a guardian article published just after he was fired by Chelsea 

Matches played (all competitions) 42 (21 last season, 21 this season), won 24, drawn 9, lost 9.

Premier League played 23, won 12, drawn 6, lost 5.

Champions League played 11, won six, drawn three (2012 final drawn 1-1 after normal time and extra time, Chelsea winning penalty shoot-out), lost two.

FA Cup played four, won four.

Capital One Cup played two, won two.

Super Cup lost 4-1 to Atlético Madrid.

Community Shield lost 3-2 to Manchester City.

Almost to depressed to post. We seemed to have been blinded by his CL win, whilst that is fantastic achievement for a manager, and I would never belittle that. I questions how useful the skills he used to do that will be in the job he faces at Aston Villa.

He is starting from a pretty chaotic base - lots of players will leave - and he will have to find replacements and mould them into a team pretty quickly. True he got WBA promoted - another feather in his cap - but the bulk of that squad was there for him. and to a greater or lesser extent Dan Ashworth sourced the players.

I really doubt he has the personality to stand up to the senior players - and the jostling in the boardroom above him. Still he has taken the job will get funds - the owner wants promotion at the first attempt - if he does that ...great - If he doesn't there can be no excuses about toxic dressing rooms, changing an ethos, needing better coaching staff , walked into a mess etc (all the stuff we heard for Garde) 

Its a mess Roberto, you will have be warned, sort it, win matches - no problem. But please no excuses.

Personally I think we flatter to deceive - and spend most our time a few points outside the play off zone.

Edited by hippo

Took MK Dons to the playoffs, got West Brom Promoted, Averaged over a 50% win rate.

Even if people take away his CL win, which so many seem desperate to do for a reason I'm yet to discover, he's still got a very good record.

32 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Got these stats from a guardian article published just after he was fired by Chelsea 

Matches played (all competitions) 42 (21 last season, 21 this season), won 24, drawn 9, lost 9.

Premier League played 23, won 12, drawn 6, lost 5.

Champions League played 11, won six, drawn three (2012 final drawn 1-1 after normal time and extra time, Chelsea winning penalty shoot-out), lost two.

FA Cup played four, won four.

Capital One Cup played two, won two.

Super Cup lost 4-1 to Atlético Madrid.

Community Shield lost 3-2 to Manchester City.

I think that sounds about right then, just seemed a lot. Doesn't bother me either way really, just didn't understand the stat. I hope we can announce this in the next day or so as we need him to get up to speed, the Euros are a huge distraction so it would be good to get him in before that.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I really doubt he has the personality to stand up to the senior players - and the jostling in the boardroom above him. Still he has taken the job will get funds - the owner wants promotion at the first attempt - if he does that ...great - If he doesn't there can be no excuses about toxic dressing rooms, changing an ethos, needing better coaching staff , walked into a mess etc (all the stuff we heard for Garde) 

Given it'll be a whole new board, there'll be a lot more cohesion than we've had for the last few years.  Getting the scouting team right and in is key, but RDM should really only have to concentrate on the squad.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Took MK Dons to the playoffs, got West Brom Promoted, Averaged over a 50% win rate.

Even if people take away his CL win, which so many seem desperate to do for a reason I'm yet to discover, he's still got a very good record.

I totally agree, why shouldn't he put the Champions League win on his CV? It's not like he's a fraud, he did guide a team to CL victory. 

I think it'll be a solid, if unspectacular choice. May have hoped for better, but in our circumstances, expected worse.

Backroom staff, and I expect a DOF, will be interesting appointments.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Almost to depressed to post. We seemed to have been blinded by his CL win, whilst that is fantastic achievement for a manager, and I would never belittle that. I questions how useful the skills he used to do that will be in the job he faces at Aston Villa.

He is starting from a pretty chaotic base - lots of players will leave - and he will have to find replacements and mould them into a team pretty quickly. True he got WBA promoted - another feather in his cap - but the bulk of that squad was there for him. and to a greater or lesser extent Dan Ashworth sourced the players.

Its a mess Roberto, you will have be warned, sort it, win matches - no problem. But please no excuses.

Personally I think we flatter to deceive - and spend most our time a few points outside the play off zone.

In order for your argument here to hold true for the reasons you've given, we need to assume his personality is really weak, which would imply he was carried as a player and takes the glory for others' hard work as a manager.

I don't think you enjoy the amount of success he has had as a player and a manager without having a steely, determined, winning, f*ing strong personality.

He's achieved more success in his short career than our entire squad has combined. I think he'll be fine.

• Like 4