Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I can see Heck's argument.

If tearing down the North Stand affects the atmosphere and performance of the team - which is plausible - that could be more damaging to the club financially from loss of TV and commercial revenues (e.g. Champions League) than an additional £8k seats. 

I do think it's a problem that will have to be solved at some point. But I can kind of see that doing it just as we might be establishing ourselves back in the big league is risky timing. 

It's got to be done at some point, as we can't compete long term in a 40,000 seater stadium. Most of the London stadiums are bigger and/or charge a lot more.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The way you've phrased this suggests it's a joke more than a serious question, but if you're asking seriously the main advantage to Villa Park is that it exists, and it will definitely still exist in 10 years' time, whereas a new stadium does not exist and would be hard to build. There's no guarantee that in the intervening decade between deciding that's what we want to do and it actually being completed that we haven't become crap, entered financial difficulties, or been relegated to the Championship, as Everton's current experience should demonstrate. 

So don't expand when business is booming and demand far exceeds availability? 

You've also not answered the question. What are tangible positives of Villa Park. 

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm surprised someone with the username of Pongo Waring would be so quick to dismiss the history and heritage of Villa Park for a quick buck and "to better the image of Birmingham", something that is of no consequence to Villa. 

Each to their own.

I'm pretty sure he's the latest incarnation of VillaLad.

5 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

So don't expand when business is booming and demand far exceeds availability? 

You've also not answered the question. What are tangible positives of Villa Park. 

I mean I did answer the question, I said 'it exists', and that is the tangible positive. 

• Like 1

I love villa Park from a nostalgic point of view, it holds some pretty special memories for us all.

Imagine the commercial scope for a new stadium located at the NEC, HS2 terminal, resort world, the nec, direct trains into Birmingham, the airport. The potential would be huge, It would be the most accessible premier league stadium in the league. 

I'm confused.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Obviously taking a ‘wait and see’ approach. 

We already have a 30K waiting list. 

Another possibility is there have been a few games we haven't sold out as is, and they'll know damn well that that 30k waiting list isn't actually 30,000 people willing to put their money where their mouth is. Plenty of them will have already passed up on a chance to buy a ticket.

I wonder if the takeup to the terrace view and holte suite has given them pause for thought on the likely takeup of extended hospitality in a new stand too.

• Like 2

I don't get this at all unless we're returning to the original plan of building the new stand around the infrastructure of the old one, as other clubs have done, thus allowing some parts of the stand to still be used in the interim, and allowing for a much faster build.

No idea why we changed that plan in the first place.

Anything else and I can only see this as a backwards step for our growth and a very necessary overhaul of a poor stand that hasn't been fit for purpose for decades.

I don't know why they are delaying it, could be a new stadium, could be other reasons but for sure it's not what Heck has said about Villa Park being a fortress and caring about the fans.

This is a quote from the report on his meeting with the fans in Sept..

"He then explained that his job is “to make more money to put on the pitch in order to help us beat FFP” simple as that."

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't get this at all unless we're returning to the original plan of building the new stand around the infrastructure of the old one, as other clubs have done, thus allowing some parts of the stand to still be used in the interim, and allowing for a much faster build.

Anything else and I can only see this as a backwards step for our growth and a very necessary overhaul of a poor stand that hasn't been fit for purpose for decades.

I didn't think we could do that because the building surveyors said something about the need for all the utilities underneath to be redone and all that.

They haven't even hinted about moving, so I don't really understand all of this speculative talk.

They have decided to pull the brakes on this for hard nosed pragmatic costed reasonings. Spending hundreds of millions on a new stadium would be even more of a risk.

I think we are staying put with cosmetic changes at best and massive hikes in ticket prices. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I didn't think we could do that because the building surveyors said something about the need for all the utilities underneath to be redone and all that.

Ah. Thanks, didn't know that was the reason

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

I love villa Park from a nostalgic point of view, it holds some pretty special memories for us all.

Imagine the commercial scope for a new stadium located at the NEC, HS2 terminal, resort world, the nec, direct trains into Birmingham, the airport. The potential would be huge, It would be the most accessible premier league stadium in the league. 

I'm confused.

But the plane puns would be insufferable!

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Its been binned because the current operational chief is interested in what he can boast about in his next interviews in 2-3 years time, and wants to talk about how he increased revenue rapidly via merchandising, ticket price hikes, hospitality sales and commercial sponsorships, and not how he lead a major construction project that only ate money during his tenure.

• Like 1

I'm against the idea of a new stadium tbh and i also think the board are.

Heck said his 1st priority was the local fanbase you don't appease the local fans by uprooting and moving the stadium to a more affluent part of town.

I'd rather have VP any day of the week over that council crowdfunded stadium West Ham have.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They haven't even hinted about moving, so I don't really understand all of this speculative talk.

They have decided to pull the brakes on this for hard nosed pragmatic costed reasonings. Spending hundreds of millions on a new stadium would be even more of a risk.

I think we are staying put with cosmetic changes at best and massive hikes in ticket prices. 

Not only have they 'not even hinted about moving', they've specifically ruled it out, again today. If they're not willing to spend to upgrade one stand over two or three seasons, they sure as shit aren't going to be willing to spend ten times more* over a decade to build a whole new stadium. 

*rhetorical, not an actual estimate

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

We already have a 30K waiting list. IF we were to do the incredible and pull off a PL win, demand will increase further at even higher prices. Also, hate to say it but it wouldn’t surprise me if they are discussing a move away from Villa Park. 

They are going to spend a lot of money on The Warehouse and the new club shop so that indicates we are staying at VP for many years.

Maybe Heck hasn't heard of the waiting list.. or maybe he just doesn't care because they don't bring in enough money. Charge £25 per game for Warehouse entry instead for 3,000 people and that's a quick £1.5m per year without £100m construction bill. But no long-term thinking there.

Â