Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

And the original widely optimistic time frame was demolition this summer! That never looked likely. If we have to wait  a bit more then fine. What I don't want to see is a clusterf**k between the club and the local authorities each blaming each other if we can't get the transport sorted and we miss out on the euros.

The club are really keen to get Witton station developed, it's a key to having the new stand open with a great experience for fans - but if it doesn't get developed, and nothing happens with transport, the stand still gets built and the Euros still happen, they just happen with a load of complaints from supporters. 

In tonights meeting the club confirmed that nothing had changed in regards to the station and its potential redevelopment - the Mayor is right behind us on it and there's a mayoral election in May of next year.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The club are really keen to get Witton station developed, it's a key to having the new stand open with a great experience for fans - but if it doesn't get developed, and nothing happens with transport, the stand still gets built and the Euros still happen, they just happen with a load of complaints from supporters. 

In tonights meeting the club confirmed that nothing had changed in regards to the station and its potential redevelopment - the Mayor is right behind us on it and there's a mayoral election in May of next year.

I think that sounds positive…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Which sounds like a really sensible suggestion - the problem is that those busses would now just be stuck in and around Villa Park for forty minutes - you could walk into the city centre quicker than a bus that left Villa Park five minutes after kick off - it's the surrounding traffic that's changed everything, and the increased car ownership locally.

I am not upto date with the local bus lanes but surely there are routes which could be used for match days.  Sure fans would have to walk as far as they would to Aston Station but beats waiting ages for a train back to the centre or other places.

I get they can't park up on Witton Lane these days but there has to be a way.

• Like 1

On 22/11/2023 at 21:54, OutByEaster? said:

That's reassuring, thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mildly irritating this is coinciding when we have our 150th anniversary and possibly we find ourselves in the champions league. Possibly.

Would have been good to have a full house. But y’know, tis what it is.

Technically, with a reduced capacity we're even more likely to have a full house. Seriously though, I really hope our current tragectary continues and full houses at 50k are our near future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7f8wks61cpz1szuyovl

A full house but with one end making no noise is not going to generate the same atmosphere as a 95% occupied house with all stands equally filled. 

It needs to happen, just a shame it had to coincide with exactly with our meteoric rise, rather than a season or two before it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Currently 42k capacity - 30k season tickets, 3k away, 2k corporate, 7k go on sale.

Next season 36k capacity - 30k season tickets, 2.5k away, 2k corporate, 1.5k go on sale to members only.

If the capacity is above 30k then it's 3k minimum for away fans, so you can reduce that to 1k for members only.

Just now, MrBlack said:

A full house but with one end making no noise is not going to generate the same atmosphere as a 95% occupied house with all stands equally filled. 

It needs to happen, just a shame it had to coincide with exactly with our meteoric rise, rather than a season or two before it. 

Yep, yep. It’s pointless me even thinking it let alone typing it out, but I really wish this was done a few years ago when the momentum around the club wasn’t as fast as it is now.

But I suppose I would have bemoaned the timing if it had coincided with us returning to the premier league. I’d want maximum capacity then too. Covid would have taken a year or two out. 

I guess there hasn’t been much of an ideal window of time when this could have taken place, with the current owners anyway.

• Like 2

Â