Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Dear NSWE

This is a heartfelt plea

I have been attending matches at Villa Park for 63 years. Villa Park is the home of football!

Please don't demolish Villa Park in my lifetime!

Thank you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Dear NSWE

This is a heartfelt plea

I have been attending matches at Villa Park for 63 years. Villa Park is the home of football!

Thank you

I’m 45 years old, I concur with the above!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Dear NSWE

This is a heartfelt plea

Thank you

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m 45 years old, I concur with the above!

I am 44 years old, first Villa match was 1986...

I also agree. Villa Park is sacred with so much history.

With advancements in technology and building there is room to redevelop the North Stand and improve Villa Park as a result. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Purslow said it could take up to 10 years to deliver what they want didn't he?  No way just rebuilding the North Stand takes that long if they are ready to put planning permission in, they must be looking at other things like 

#themepark!

26 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It would be picked up in no time. House sales are a matter of public record, searchable on Land Registry with the deeds able to be purchased.

You think We’d and Nas are schlepping  round Aston buying houses themselves? They could have multiple people buying for them under loads of different names. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You think We’d and Nas are schlepping  round Aston buying houses themselves? They could have multiple people buying for them under loads of different names. 

No, of course I don't. I reckon a 10 year old could connect the dots though. We're talking about hundreds of houses and you don't think anyone would find it suspicious if half of them were sold in a 5 year period?! Anyone left owning theirs could just hold NSWE to ransom.

The only way we purchase a large number of houses around Villa Park is by convincing the council to CPO it.

I'm a chartered surveyor and what I think does have some element of professional experience behind it,  not just 'surely there's a way around it if you're that rich'. I'm telling you for a fact that they would not be able to acquire the land by stealth in a reasonable time period - whether or not you want to believe me is your prerogative. 

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

No, of course I don't. I reckon a 10 year old could connect the dots though. We're talking about hundreds of houses and you don't think anyone would find it suspicious if half of them were sold in a 5 year period?! Anyone left owning theirs could just hold NSWE to ransom.

The only way we purchase a large number of houses around Villa Park is by convincing the council to CPO it.

I'm a chartered surveyor and what I think does have some element of professional experience behind it,  not just 'surely there's a way around it if you're that rich'. I'm telling you for a fact that they would not be able to acquire the land by stealth in a reasonable time period - whether or not you want to believe me is your prerogative. 

I’ve no idea what a reasonable turnover of houses is over a 5 year period I’m certainly not a chartered surveyor. So I’m not questioning your professional knowledge in this matter. Equally I don’t know what it’s like to have millions of pounds at my disposal. I do know though, that people with huge amounts of money with the will and intelligence to formulate a plan and put it in to action, have generally got I different perspective on the world and what’s possible to achieve, than most of us. 

2 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Dear NSWE

This is a heartfelt plea

Thank you

I recently posted that I thought the best practical way to move the club ahead and get more revenue through the turnstiles was by building a new stadium. Not a boring bowl but a fantastic, inspirational and iconic stadium for the future. That may well still be true, however I see impassioned posts like yours and find myself agreeing with them, almost feeling guilty for ever suggesting a move away from our home.

Emotionally I agree with every word of what you say. I suppose I want my cake and eat it. In structural terms, even in my lifetime Villa Park isn’t the same as I first went to in the early 70’s. All the stands have changed and what has taken the place of the wonderful old stands has generally been a bit of a disappointment. It probably has generally  mirrored the club on the pitch, ups and downs, pretty much ok but could have done so much better. 

So my dream would be, with with world class architecture aligned with truly inspiring design and building,  all put together by our tremendous owners, we are able to build a stadium that is befitting of our great club. A stadium that Aston Villa deserves right we’re it belongs, in Aston, our home. 

Ship of Theseus, innit? Or Trigger’s broom if you prefer.

I think making your way to Villa Park through the rows of houses, past the pubs, some that are no longer used, maybe past the Hall, is part of the charm. 

I see the likes of the London Stadium and the surrounding area and I just think it looks dull.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's true, the oldest part of Villa Park is actually The North Stand and that's what everyone is desperate to get knocked down. 

Once that's gone the whole stadium is little more than 25 years old, hardly historic. 

The pitch is relayed every few years so it's hardly the same hallowed turf. 

So what is it? Clearly a football ground is more than just a piece of grass and a collection of buildings. 

Villa Park remains a historic stadium despite all that.  So I conclude essentially it's a collection of memories. 

We came back against Tranmere at Villa Park, it still occurred there despite the buildings all changing, It's still Villa Park that has hosted more FA Cup semi finals than any other football ground, that Ryan Giggs wonder goal was still scored in front of The Holte End as was the Alan Hutton Wonder goal against Blues. 

We still won all those games in Villa Park on our way to our last Championship and The European Cup final....... It all happened at Villa Park. 

The rituals and journeys I've undertaken most of my life and my dad before me were to that same place. 

Each stand has been rebuilt at different times but each in turn linking to the past in a continuous unbroken chain. 

So the buildings may change, but for me it's still the same Villa Park, still our home, still the very essence of Aston Villa and a new shiny stadium elsewhere would just fill me with emptiness. 

Sid, I agree with your thoughts here. It’s as much a spiritual thing as the current bricks and mortar.

Very much like Trigger’s attachment to his old broom. 😂

Edited by Lochheads twin
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's true, the oldest part of Villa Park is actually The North Stand and that's what everyone is desperate to get knocked down. 

Once that's gone the whole stadium is little more than 25 years old, hardly historic. 

The pitch is relayed every few years so it's hardly the same hallowed turf. 

So what is it? Clearly a football ground is more than just a piece of grass and a collection of buildings. 

Villa Park remains a historic stadium despite all that.  So I conclude essentially it's a collection of memories. 

We came back against Tranmere at Villa Park, it still occurred there despite the buildings all changing, It's still Villa Park that has hosted more FA Cup semi finals than any other football ground, that Ryan Giggs wonder goal was still scored in front of The Holte End as was the Alan Hutton Wonder goal against Blues. 

We still won all those games in Villa Park on our way to our last Championship and The European Cup final....... It all happened at Villa Park. 

The rituals and journeys I've undertaken most of my life and my dad before me were to that same place. 

Each stand has been rebuilt at different times but each in turn linking to the past in a continuous unbroken chain. 

So the buildings may change, but for me it's still the same Villa Park, still our home, still the very essence of Aston Villa and a new shiny stadium elsewhere would just fill me with emptiness. 

I absolutely agree. Perhaps I didn’t say it clearly, but the bricks and mortar are secondary in many respects. It’s what has happened in front of those bricks that counts. If it’s at all possible, without drastically compromising what we can achieve over the next 10, 50, 100 years we should stay. Sentiment can be a powerful thing. My only caveat is can we stay at VP and still be as successful as our owners clearly have the ambition to be. If the alternatives are do ok at Villa Park or become a very top club at a new stadium, I think they and probably most of us in the cold light of day, would chose the latter. If they can find a way to do both then of course that is the dream scenario. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, as we're about to unveil plans for a mahoosive new North Stand at Villa Park, I think we're safe from movement for at least the next twenty years or so.

I wonder how mahoosive?🕵️

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, as we're about to unveil plans for a mahoosive new North Stand at Villa Park, I think we're safe from movement for at least the next twenty years or so.

Did Villa purchase some wasteland across the road from VP at one point, on Tame Road? Assuming that would be used as a car park for match days to make up for the loss of space that a new north stand would probably take up? 

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Did Villa purchase some wasteland across the road from VP at one point, on Tame Road? Assuming that would be used as a car park for match days to make up for the loss of space that a new north stand would probably take up? 

It's meant to be the new youth training centre. Big designs have been submitted for planning. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's meant to be the new youth training centre. Big designs have been submitted for planning. 

ahhh ok. We’ve still got a bit of a battle for parking space then? Unless there are other plans in place. 

Â