Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

I alway find these presentations and speeches can go 2 ways in the workplace (I appriecate footballers are a lot more privileged than the average worker but stay with me). 

You can either feel patronised and think 'what a tosser' or you can take on board what is being said and the impact it has had on the  person presenting and their life. On how you can achieve the same.

In my opinion positive attitude, confidence and belief is absolutely massive in all walks of life and probably even more so in sport. 

I wonder if the club is going beyond presentations from the owner to looking at sports pyschologists, motivational speakers etc etc. There's a place for all of this in the modern game. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snowychap said:

I've got as far as I can (inability to view beyond a certain number of slides, thankfully). That is utterly horrid, cultist bollocks.

It maybe so........But I don't half love a trier.

I‘ve done a number of logistic support contracts for these „motivational“ speakers. From what I‘ve seen there are a number of „types“ of these people. There are some very skilled people who base their „presentations“ on a state of body and mind wellbeing and balance to be able to approach a task free of selfhindering aspects. There is always a little bit of self-brain-washing going on as one has to be convinced that what you wish to accomplish is in fact achievable with your individual skill-set.

There are also the ego-blasters who try to blind you with their achievements (demanding a high fee for the privelege)

In this case I think the good Dr is trying to help with his „presentation“. he‘s not doing it for money or for ego reasons.

I think the point a few have made about players taking it all on board or not is valid. joking aside, it wouldnt surprise me if it went over Gabys head.

On a serious note I was present at a „presentation“ from an ex-Tennis pro, as I play golf regularily I was interested in the mental approach to shots and certain periods of a game where its at the „win or lose point“ part of the speech. Very very interesting. 

Obviously if something like that is not for you then you leave it, but if it is and it helps, use it. it doesn‘t have to be deemed psycho-babble if it doesnt suit everybody

4 hours ago, Michael118 said:

How many matches have we won and won convincingly in terms of both the result and how we played under Bruce and RDM? If you think it's 4 times, 6 or even 8 and two of those came after Xia delivered a speech or presentation to the players that would still be telling.

Xia: 2/2  - 100%

RDM: 1/12  - 8%

Bruce: 4-8/56  - 7-14%

Once I’ve written my thing about confirmation bias I’ll do a piece on flawed statistical analysis. :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I‘ve done a number of logistic support contracts for these „motivational“ speakers. From what I‘ve seen there are a number of „types“ of these people. There are some very skilled people who base their „presentations“ on a state of body and mind wellbeing and balance to be able to approach a task free of selfhindering aspects. There is always a little bit of self-brain-washing going on as one has to be convinced that what you wish to accomplish is in fact achievable with your individual skill-set.

There are also the ego-blasters who try to blind you with their achievements (demanding a high fee for the privelege)

In this case I think the good Dr is trying to help with his „presentation“. he‘s not doing it for money or for ego reasons.

I think the point a few have made about players taking it all on board or not is valid. joking aside, it wouldnt surprise me if it went over Gabys head.

On a serious note I was present at a „presentation“ from an ex-Tennis pro, as I play golf regularily I was interested in the mental approach to shots and certain periods of a game where its at the „win or lose point“ part of the speech. Very very interesting. 

Obviously if something like that is not for you then you leave it, but if it is and it helps, use it. it doesn‘t have to be deemed psycho-babble if it doesnt suit everybody

I agree.

just to add

its easy to take a cynical view to all this stuff and being in sales management most of my life, i have seen enough of it ,to be.

However,If you have a person who is lazy minded, morose or possessed by melancholy it could be argued they are suffering from self brain washing in a negative way and this could be just the tonic they need?

We all need a bit of motivational guidance at times.....(which reminds me when's  the last cut for that pesky lawn....bloody nuisance)

seriously Bravo Tony.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Have to be honest here - I have absolutely no idea what the hell he is going on about in that presentation. It looks like it could be scrawled in shit by a disgruntled employee on a bathroom wall in Canary Wharf. 

Brilliantly bonkers. I love it. 

Haven’t seen you for a while on VT, DDID.

Edited by Deisler123

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I alway find these presentations and speeches can go 2 ways in the workplace (I appriecate footballers are a lot more privileged than the average worker but stay with me). 

You can either feel patronised and think 'what a tosser' or you can take on board what is being said and the impact it has had on the  person presenting and their life. On how you can achieve the same.

In my opinion positive attitude, confidence and belief is absolutely massive in all walks of life and probably even more so in sport. 

I wonder if the club is going beyond presentations from the owner to looking at sports pyschologists, motivational speakers etc etc. There's a place for all of this in the modern game. 

Well said

Some of the players have it intrinsically, some don't.

at least he is having a go......could you imagine Lerner doing it.?

er, no.

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hey buddy! I have been lurking on Twitter, they say a change is as good as a rest! I'll probs be back on here again now through to the end. 

Glory hunter:D

i have been bashed to bits holding the fort.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I am dreading the day that we actually agree.:)

We all want Villa to be successful so there is at least one thing you 2 agree on. We just have different ideas on the best route to achieve it :P

Â