England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Just now, gharperr said:

heard this said a lot. What does it actually mean? Genuinely curious, i dont really know what the england job is about apart from picking players during season and then playing them in games. Whats there to say yes or no about?

That's exactly what it is when you appoint someone like Roy. He will pick the players available, tow the company line, not cause too many waves.

We need a man to come in, take no shit and revolutionise the way we think about football, where the game is going, where the players are coming from. Not just good old Roy who will pick the shite available to him, and dither his way off to retirement.

• Like 2

the FA have sponsorship deals to fulfill and people to keep happy, resulting in the big draw players always being in and around the squad, pointless friendlies like portugal at home to pay off the stadium, they have to have a manager who says the right things in the press, which is usually everything is awesome, state of the english game, awesome, overrated players, awesome, players choosing money over playing, awesome, wembley and yet another shit game with terrible atmosphere, awesome, you go on and on, when was the last time we had a manager who called a spade a spade?

stuart pearce has another shit U21 tournament, manager says nothing, southagte has no qualifications and gets the technical directors job, manager says nothing, he's got no qualifications and gets the U21, says nothing

its an old boys club, the FA want some of this PL "product" money and make no doubt about it they're doing ok, roy fits that perfectly, just sit there smiling keep everyone happy and keep the engine ticking over, dont let football get in the way of what they're doing

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think he did do a very good job at Boro, he was given an absolute fortune and given free license to pay for the wages of players like Mendieta, Geremi, Rochemback and Zenden.
I think at one point they had a forward line of Viduka, Hasselbaink and Yakubu.

He never built anything sustainable, never really threated the top places. Sneaked through a few Uefa Cup ties and generally finished mid table from my recollection.

he did win the only trophy in their history which does count for something. He had a decent youth policy as well gave debuts to Downing, Johnson, Morrison and Danny Graham among others

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Its quite unbelieveable that the England head coach role pays around £4m a ear but that it is also considered a full time job.

Well he did have to do a Van Goch... Swings and roundabouts I suppose ;)

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He still called up likes of Dempsey, Bradley and Jermaine Jones for the copa who are all way past their best nowadays.

I think the 2014 world cup will be high point for US. Don't think there's enough quality coming through as MLS gets in more foreign players and they've been dodgy in qualifying although given the complex nature of Concacaf they're in little danger of not making the world cup. Can't see them making much impact in Russia though.

I still firmly believe some of the selections are governed by politics. Maybe sans Rooney et al? but what hes done with the youth development and coaching education here behind the scenes is excellent. Hes not afraid to select youth either, Zardes, Pulisic, Wood etc...

I think Sam would be a disaster. Yes his method has worked to a certain extent at club level but what has he won. and International management is totally different. Klinsman yes great choice if we can get him. 

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think Sam would be a disaster. Yes his method has worked to a certain extent at club level but what has he won. and International management is totally different. Klinsman yes great choice if we can get him. 

Big Sam would be fine imo, we've seen in this tournament how far being organised can get you e.g.  Iceland and England need an identity again.

I've said before but I went to Sunderland 0-0 Arsenal end of last season and Sunderland played some excellent football in the second half and should've won the game and they played well in other games in the run in.

Yes his favoured method is still long ball but it's not as brutal to watch as it was at Bolton, I'd say his style of play now is similar to MON when he was here as in the Arsenal game they got the ball to Kharzi at every opportunity, bit like we used to do with Ashley Young. 

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Big Sam would be fine imo, we've seen in this tournament how far being organised can get you e.g.  Iceland and England need an identity again.

I've said before but I went to Sunderland 0-0 Arsenal end of last season and Sunderland played some excellent football in the second half and should've won the game and they played well in other games in the run in.

Yes his favoured method is still long ball but it's not as brutal to watch as it was at Bolton, I'd say his style of play now is similar to MON when he was here as in the Arsenal game they got the ball to Kharzi at every opportunity, bit like we used to do with Ashley Young. 

On reflection he might not be too bad. No yes man like Hodgson. Would have no favs like Hodgson, wouldn't be afraid to make big decisions like dropping Rooney. He would play to our strengths. Plan B might be Andy Carroll but so what! Hodgson didn't even have a plan A. 

Someone like Big Sam would be a good choice for manager on the proviso that he has a good tactician alongside him. Someone like a Muelensteen or Quiros would be great. 

English manager to deal with the players and the press, with a talented right-hand man to set the team-up and influence the changes during the games. 

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Someone like Big Sam would be a good choice for manager on the proviso that he has a good tactician alongside him. Someone like a Muelensteen or Quiros would be great. 

English manager to deal with the players and the press, with a talented right-hand man to set the team-up and influence the changes during the games. 

I think Big Sam is a fine tactician as it is. If you appoint him you do it for solidity first. Look how far it's taken Portugal and the performances of Ireland, Iceland, NI and Wales.

we are not the big fish we think we are and we need and manager who organises and most importantly is his own man unlike Hodgson.

If we go for a "star" name like Klinsman we are just as screwed for the next 4 years