England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

3 hours ago, BOF said:

There's a bigger point to be made here though.  I criticised Woy before the tournament for picking Wilshere over Drinkwater.  Some of the responses I got were that Wilshere is the better player and therefore Woy was right.  This is at the heart of the problem because what it does is it tells players with natural ability that they don't need to have a good season or be particularly motivated in order to get a place in the England team.  Their place is almost guaranteed no matter how badly they stink the place up from August to May.

If Wayne Rooney thought for a second that a bad personal season at United would jeopardise his place at the Euros then you'd imagine he might be a little more motivated to do well at United, and then he might bring that mentality into the England team.  Point being, by including the likes of Drinkwater over Wilshere for example, and rewarding a season of pulling up trees, you slowly but surely change the culture of England squad selection and eventually you end up with a better Rooney or a better whoever it may be that has the natural talent.  Maybe in the very short term you deny yourself the odd Wilshere or 2 (like that made a f**king difference...), but give it a few years and if everyone plays to their potential for their clubs knowing they need to be doing well to get into the England setup then you end up with a much better England setup.

But the FA seem completely incapable of making any of the difficult decisions required to improve themselves.

100% true

The question is not

3-5-2

4-4-2

4-3-3

or any other system

It is

Do we have the best players for a system on the pitch at any time?

NO

So, Why not?

We have a squad full of players who for one reason or another sell England shirts for the FA & sponsors.

For a manager to "do as he is told" you need a yes man "well in" at the FA's thinking.

Cue someone like Hodgson, McClaren, and in future Southgate.

Therein lies the problem

I actually think Sherwood would be good for the England job. He doesn't strike me as a good day to day manager, but rather someone who can come in every couple months, fire up the players, and get a result. I think he'd be perfect for an international job. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

I actually think Sherwood would be good for the England job. :snip:

I think he'd be perfect for an international job. 

Totally agree.  100%.  I think England would be mad.  MAD! Not to go for him immediately.

Sterling has been doing a Lescott and flaunting his wealth on snapchat,  

Link

The person who probably tops the list of not being worthy to be happy with himself, is Raheem Sterling, who had an appalling tournament. The most overrated and overpriced player in the world. Hat tip to Roy Hodgson though, who persisted with Sterling as if he was watching Glee and saying 'you never know, it might come good soon'.

Despite this, the 21-year-old was happy to flaunt his life of luxury on Snapchat, giving his friends a tour of the lavish house that he bought his mother. While showing off his wealth, there's a caption on a snap of his cars saying 'my team winning'. No, they're not, Raheem. Your team is very far from winning.

And this is English football in a nutshell. Just when you thought they couldn't sink and lower.

I bought the new England shirt and it's going straight in the bin, I'm ashamed to be associated with these Scunthorpes...

Edited by Ryan.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Sterling has been doing a Lescott and flaunting his wealth on snapchat,  

Link

And this is English football in a nutshell. Just when you thought they couldn't sink and lower.

I bought the new England shirt and it's going straight in the bin, I'm ashamed to be associated with these Scunthorpes...

Well that looks **** dreadful.

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

The problem isn't exactly that Sterling posted stuff on the internet which was probably not that wise, it's more that no one has taught him to be a "normal" person so that he would see that it might not be a good idea. If you give a young lad an absolute ton of money, spend all the time telling him how great he is, he will come to think and act in a certain way - lacking in humility. It's not his fault as such, it's what Prem League football does to young players when it should be doing much more to make them good people. It's cultural, not individual.

Also "we" follow these players on the snapchat or twitter (I don't know what a snapchat actually is) in our thousands - why?

I'm struggling to understand who of his followers or friends that this was aimed at actually wants to see it let alone the rest of us

if my mate won the lottery and started sending the group videos like that he'd be considered a bellend 

So annoying this tournament. Such a farce.

Roy really was a disgrace, player selection was poor and tactics were absolutely shocking.
All this FA nonsense about not coping late in the tournament is as much about player selection as about tactics. 

Two obvious title winners didn't go and another didn't play. Conte and Giaccherini prove what's wrong with England.

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Giggs and Dixon with more good dressing down of the England set up.

I guess it's not too difficult to do that at the moment though.

what advice did Giggs give?

skip your international duties and stay at home dicking the sister in law?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Giggs and Dixon with more good dressing down of the England set up.

I guess it's not too difficult to do that at the moment though.

its all well and good in hindsight but before tournament they were licking the arse of these players and saying how great the Premier League is

• Like 1

I'm a lonely voice, but before the Iceland game I actually thought England were one of the better teams in the tournament. They were an abomination in that game though, I don't know what happened. Maybe they underestimated their opponents, and  I guess when the pressure was on they couldn't handle it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm a lonely voice, but before the Iceland game I actually thought England were one of the better teams in the tournament. They were an abomination in that game though, I don't know what happened. Maybe they underestimated their opponents, and  I guess when the pressure was on they couldn't handle it.

Possibly when they went 1-0 up but then at 2-1 down they had 70 odd minutes to turn it around. A helluva lot of time. They were just hopeless. 

• Like 1