Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

We really couldn't even win a lucky dip at the minute.

Same old story - we've no mental character, no determination to either take games on or see wins out. 

Sort it out RDM. Get some drills going, attack vs defence and have both sides try and win a game standing at 1-0 to defenders.

11 hours ago, omariqy said:

Like I said before. We have a mentality issue at the club even though lots of new players have come in. Something is not quite right.

Don't think it's mentality when there are new owners, staff and lots of new players. The far more likely explanation is that the new ones aren't very good too, or haven't shown it yet, so no mysteries really. Also, the team is unbalanced and we seem to play in the formation that least fits what the squad has as options. 

I understand RDM has said it's a two year project, and it's logical when there's such a big change, however next season 3 more teams will enter the race - the 3 that drop from the Premier league, and they've already got to dip in the massive amounts of cash, so we likely wouldn't be the only team spending obscene amounts in the championship next season and the competition would be much tougher. 

On 14/09/2016 at 11:09, markavfc40 said:

I can’t imagine anything worse than sitting in the second tier going through the motions. In the top flight I can accept mid table mediocrity, in fact the last few seasons I would have embraced it, but not in this league.

There is nothing to fear in the Championship. I got to be honest I have been pleasantly surprised at how crap most other teams are. New manager, new coaching staff and a huge overhaul in players has meant we aren’t up to anything like full pelt at the moment yet of the 540 minutes of Championship football we have played I would say we have bossed 75% of it. Results for me have no way reflected performances.

I like you am going to enjoy this season but with that fire in my belly and anticipation of knowing we are more than good enough to be in the mix for promotion. I never think it is a good idea to take much notice of the table until around 8 – 10 games have passed and that was in the top flight. I fully expect by the time we get to 11-12 games we will be well in the mix for promotion and the vast majority of us will spend the rest of the season fully focused on that. I am 100% certain that the owner, manager and players are totally focused on it and that promotion is the aim.

We look less of a cohesive unit now than we did last month somehow.  I don't think there's anything wrong with having expectations of this season that are a little less ambitious. In fact, I think it's better we all realise that we are a very long way from the team we are trying to build and that this season is purely for rebuilding. 

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If games were 80 minutes long we'd be top...

cant believe this shit is still happening 

Actually we would be 4th but certainly in the mix. Results would have been as follows (with extra points in brackets):

Sheffield Wednesday – 0-0 (+1)

Rotherham – 2-0 (+0)

Huddersfield – 1-0 (+2)

Derby – 0-0 (+0)

Bristol City – 1-2 (+0)

Forest – 2-1 (+2)

Brentford – 1-0 (+2)

Total dropped points after 80 minutes: 7

Whilst it can be forgiven that we have a slow start due to the horrors of last season and the upheaval; we are our own worse enemy. In each of the games we have lost we could have very easily won. The only game I would say we were poor was yesterday - after we scored we just could not be bothered and was very frustrating. 

However...

Sort out lasting 90 minutes instead of 80 and we will be there. Still plenty of time to climb the table again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I saw no evidence of that last night.  It wasn't weak or bottling it was poor tactics enforced by poor team selection

And some individual errors I think.  Watching their goal back I think Gardner could have done more to prevent that cross and Cissokho left his man alone on the far post (this happens too often!).  We create theories and pin blame, but if we had cut out those basic errors we probably would have won, even playing poorly with misguided tactics.

2 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

And some individual errors I think.  Watching their goal back I think Gardner could have done more to prevent that cross and Cissokho left his man alone on the far post (this happens too often!).  We create theories and pin blame, but if we had cut out those basic errors we probably would have won, even playing poorly with misguided tactics.

from what I saw Cissokho left his man because his centre halfs got sucked in and he was covering them

Evening chaps.

Just thought I'd let you know we are now officially promotion rivals this season. Whether that is actually the case in the league table will remain to be seen (not a comment on the current table, its early days, either club may fail to challenge for promotion) but in an interview that came out today it was said that "The aim for this season is nothing less than promotion. We are going to do whatever we can to push to get promoted and get into that top six"

Its actually quite an interesting interview with the leagues top scorer and the effort LJ went to in order to sign him. Here is the link if anyone is interested

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Evening chaps.

Just thought I'd let you know we are now officially promotion rivals this season. Whether that is actually the case in the league table will remain to be seen (not a comment on the current table, its early days, either club may fail to challenge for promotion) but in an interview that came out today it was said that "The aim for this season is nothing less than promotion. We are going to do whatever we can to push to get promoted and get into that top six"

Its actually quite an interesting interview with the leagues top scorer and the effort LJ went to in order to sign him. Here is the link if anyone is interested

Hi James, no offence intended but i really dont think in our current situation that anyone on VT cares about Bristol City's aspirations for this season. Im not telling you what to do you but maybe saving you from anymore heated interactions, on this a forum for Aston Villa. Cheers

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Hi James, no offence intended but i really dont think in our current situation that anyone on VT cares about Bristol City's aspirations for this season. Im not telling you what to do you but maybe saving you from anymore heated interactions, on this a forum for Aston Villa. Cheers

Fair enough and no offence taken. Wasn't looking for a heated interaction, was simply sharing as a few on here seemed to think our aspirations are simply to stay up this year, the article also shows that we had to work very hard to get the loan signing of Abraham so despite the growing reputation we are getting as a club that is improving and getting things well sorted (2-3 more articles coming out in the next week I believe) we still have to go through more effort to show our worth, something a team such as Villa may not need to do.

On 9/14/2016 at 08:25, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You'd have to be a real **** idiot not to agree with this. So I don't really know why everyone is panicking 6 games into the season. 

Dave....but playing well means offensive and defensive.

If you are just playing well offensively, but not defensively, it means you only have half the playing " well " right.

It is debatable in that context if we are in fact playing well.

I know exactly what folk mean when they say we are playing well .....conceding late on and surrendering valuable points ......could be deemed in some quarters as NOT playing well.

Its like the "curates egg" good in parts.

I would say, that on the whole and to fulfill all the necessary parts to win a football match.....We are not playing well.

We cannot dismiss " Defensive work" as a necessary evil.....Its a central/crucial part of the game.

Edited by TRO

On 9/15/2016 at 09:21, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Don't think it's mentality when there are new owners, staff and lots of new players. The far more likely explanation is that the new ones aren't very good too, or haven't shown it yet, so no mysteries really. Also, the team is unbalanced and we seem to play in the formation that least fits what the squad has as options. 

I understand RDM has said it's a two year project, and it's logical when there's such a big change, however next season 3 more teams will enter the race - the 3 that drop from the Premier league, and they've already got to dip in the massive amounts of cash, so we likely wouldn't be the only team spending obscene amounts in the championship next season and the competition would be much tougher. 

.....but todate, there are teams predominately built on FREE transfers showing us how to do it....i.e win games

1 hour ago, TRO said:

.....but todate, there are teams predominately built on FREE transfers showing us how to do it....i.e win games

This is the manager's job to sort out. A manager is there to ensure the team would be better than the sum of its parts, not just in football. 

Â