Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Does it really matter how many points there are potentially to play for? Yes 8 months of football ahead thinks can certainly change but people are going on what they've seen so far with their own eyes. Not a fantasy prediciton because of how many points we could technically get.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Jesus this is a depressing thread today... 114 points to play for and 7 points behind Newcastle...

We will soon gel together and start recording wins, obviously we need this to happen as soon as possible... But we can't write off our season after 8 games. Bar the last two games we have looked a very good team, with a few more players back (Tshibola, Gestede, Grealish, McCormack) we will be fine to push for automatic promotion...

Correct - it's silly to rule out our chances after 8 games - of course we need to start winning soon but it's far from too late .

Barnsley were 24th and bottom last Xmas and ended the season promoted - if we could get a few wins then things could change very fast and we'd fly up the table - won't be easy but far from impossible .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Does it really matter how many points there are potentially to play for? Yes 8 months of football ahead thinks can certainly change but people are going on what they've seen so far with their own eyes. Not a fantasy prediciton because of how many points we could technically get.

I've seen us the better side in most games this season but silly mistakes and poor finishing have cost us many points .

however the last 2 games have been worse than the previous ones and that's a point of concern - we do have a few out injured and missed McCormack , tish and gestede yesterday as we looked light up front - time to look ahead now and get some wins under our belt .

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I've seen us the better side in most games this season but silly mistakes and poor finishing have cost us many points .

however the last 2 games have been worse than the previous ones and that's a point of concern - we do have a few out injured and missed McCormack , tish and gestede yesterday as we looked light up front - time to look ahead now and get some wins under our belt .

I agree and that for me is the most concerning thing, we aren't improving we are getting worse and that in no small part to me seems like it is because RDM has changed his approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree and that for me is the most concerning thing, we aren't improving we are getting worse and that in no small part to me seems like it is because RDM has changed his approach.

Agreed , since half time against brenfford the aim seems to be make sure we don't concede a goal rather than to make sure we score more goals - we have the attackiNg players to hurt teams and need to play more on the front foot - he seems to have gone from one extreme to the other .

i accept our options were limited yesterday up front wIth two strikers missing but we must attack Newcastle and not sit back and try to defend .

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Indeed, i dont think luck comes into it through as run of games though, in 1 or 2 incidents sure but to happen consistently its not luck or bad luck. No more excuses if we dont get the results from here on in.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We can't even beat Branford or Bristol City how the hell are we going to beat Newcastle? A point is best case for us.

if we did beat Newcastle though I really do think that will be turning point for us

AFAIK we never have, and we're unlikely to in the future as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ender4 said:
4 hours ago, PaulC said:

20 wins, 12 draws and 6 defeats will get us to 80 pts so thats still possible. We need to start winning soon though. 

We can still get automatic promotion, but we're going to need to put a good winning run together at some point.

Newcastle are probably the yardstick at the moment.

Beat them next week (yes unlikely) and we'll be 3 points behind them.

You usually need more than 80 points to get 2nd, last year it was 90 wasn't it so it's usually in the 85-90 range.

On 18 September 2016 at 11:57, wilko154 said:

Jesus this is a depressing thread today... 114 points to play for and 7 points behind Newcastle...

We will soon gel together and start recording wins, obviously we need this to happen as soon as possible... But we can't write off our season after 8 games. Bar the last two games we have looked a very good team, with a few more players back (Tshibola, Gestede, Grealish, McCormack) we will be fine to push for automatic promotion...

Its interesting how views differ.

The last game with a clean sheet away from home.....is the one I would say is a step in the right direction.

On 18 September 2016 at 12:04, Cliffy Biro said:

Bang on.

We said this last year.....We'll pick up.We have a new team they need time to gel.It didn't happen, in fact it just carried on the same....why should it happen now?

new this, new the other........same problem.

It could change for the better, but it as much chance as staying the same.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2016 at 12:13, TrentVilla said:

Hopefully he has learned something from that. It's too early to say that he hasn't or won't. 

The late goal thing is certainly playing on the teams minds now. How can it not be given the ridiculous amount of late goals we've conceded already.

Take the Ipswich game, at 0-0 with 5 minutes left we should've been the ones penning them in on their edge of their box looking for a late goal. Instead we were hanging on for dear life.

It's going to be a big problem. If we have any chance of going up we're going to have to grind out a good ten or so 1-0s or other games when we win by a single goal so if the team can't hack it now I don't think it looks promising for the real crunch time starting from March.

What we need to do is win a couple of games 2-0/3-0 and really get that convincing winning feeling going through the club again. Easier said than done  of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

The late goal thing is certainly playing on the teams minds now. How can it not be given the ridiculous amount of late goals we've conceded already.

Take the Ipswich game, at 0-0 with 5 minutes left we should've been the ones penning them in on their edge of their box looking for a late goal. Instead we were hanging on for dear life.

It's going to be a big problem. If we have any chance of going up we're going to have to grind out a good ten or so 1-0s or other games when we win by a single goal so if the team can't hack it now I don't think it looks promising for the real crunch time starting from March.

What we need to do is win a couple of games 2-0/3-0 and really get that convincing winning feeling going through the club again. Easier said than done  of course.

I don't think it's going to be a big problem, they held on for some intense pressure against Ipswich and didn't concede. We are getting there just not getting balance right just yet. Either we scoring goals but defending poorly, or creating little and not creating much

Need to pretty much about 75% of the games in October (and November) to have a realistic chance of finishing top 2.

I'd be content with us being within reach of top 6 when the window opens, and we can finally sort out the midfield.

Still need to string a series of wins together asap thou.

Â