Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

They are good enough....but that is not where our problem lies.

Oh, it's about the physical side instead?

You haven't mentioned it... :P

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Wow. That's mad. And with the amount we have spent on strikers, rather worrying that we aren't higher than we are given how much we create. Are our strikers not good enough? Surely we have to be scoring more goals with so many chances created.

Kodjia has only played one game, Gestede has been injured. The biggest worry has been Ayew who has missed a boat load, he's has the third amount of shots in the league, almost 4 a game. He hasn't scored once -

We've encountered a few good keepers too and hit the bar at least 5 times from memory. I feel like our luck will change. 

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oh, it's about the physical side instead?

You haven't mentioned it... :P

Stef.....The penny will drop one day.

.....and then I can relax and not mention it.

but let me tell you, there are far better spectators than me who can see it.

Ps even Gestede has said we cannot continue conceding like we do in such a benevolent fashion.....that is more than the manager has said to my knowledge.

Edited by TRO

36 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I'm just wondering why we are so low in the table when we have created so many chances.  I'm not saying they AREN'T good enough. Just asking what's going on. It seems strange.

because its been 6 games and variance exists a redic amount over short samples....

also stats like that dont say how good the actual chances which have been created are.

xG graphs would be good to look at. but dont think they get made for championship

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Stef.....The penny will drop one day.

.....and then I can relax and not mention it.

but let me tell you, there are far better spectators than me who can see it.

Ps even Gestede has said we cannot continue conceding like we do in such a benevolent fashion.....that is more than the manager has said to my knowledge.

I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true. Just a gentle rib at how often you've mentioned it since Sunday :)

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true. Just a gentle rib at how often you've mentioned it since Sunday :)

Sorry, I don't want to be boring, just massively frustrated.

Essentially, i think we have aspects of our play that is extremely encouraging, particularly the front line.

However, when you look at Huddersfield or Blues as examples, they have aspects of their play we need to emulate if we have any aspirations of making a challenge.

Managers do have their own views and tendencies.....We have just waited 6 years under various club management hoping they can see what some of us can and failed to deal with it.

I am not having a pop this early, but 5 games can turn in to 10 and then 20 and we cannot keep saying mañana,mañana.

we can afford to forgo a bit of gung ho...... For a bit of dour scrooge like defensive football.

We can always go back, when we have secured some points and confidence.

Edited by TRO

Slightly OT, but was just reading about Evertons win, Gana in this team would have been epic! :(

However with Adomah to come in, I genuinely feel with our full strength XI we rip teams to shreds.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Slightly OT, but was just reading about Evertons win, Gana in this team would have been epic! :(

However with Adomah to come in, I genuinely feel with our full strength XI we rip teams to shreds.

or even Barry.

• Like 1

My general opinion is that the sample size, statistically, is too small at the moment to pass full judgement. However;

5 of our 7 goals scored have come in 2 games, yet overall we are top (by a country mile comparatively) for chances created in the league with 77 as noted earlier here - 

5 of our 7 goals conceded have come in 2 games, yet overall we are top 5 for defensive actions as demonstrated thus - 

I'm generally not a big stats guy, though I enjoy them. I do prefer to use my eyes to make a solid judgement on how a team are performing.

However in this case the stats, again despite the small sample size, categorically back up what I'm seeing. That we've been hit a couple of times yes but that generally we're solid at the back and we are potentially utterly devastating going forward. We WILL start to win games and we WILL rise up this league. How far? I'm not sure as yet. But we won't be finishing 17th and I would be astonished if we didn't make the playoffs, or in fact finish in the top 4. 

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but I couldn't see it, what constitutes a 'chance'?

A pass that leads directly to a shot on goal. So anything that would normally constitute an assist, if a goal is scored. 

Edit2 - I was right the first time. According to Squawka where I got the stats - 

Chances Created

Chance created – A pass that leads to a shot on goal. Keypass – A pass that leads to a shot on goal that is not converted. Assist – A pass that leads directly to a goal.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/football-stats-definitions

http://www.squawka.com/football-stats-definitions

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

A pass that leads directly to a shot on goal. So anything that would normally constitute an assist, if a goal is scored. 

Edit - bit inaccurate as the player presented with the chance might fluff it and not even get a shot off, but that hasn't really been happening IMO. 

Cheers, that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course they are,but they look alot better than us. We cant wven beat forest let alone Newcastle 

That's exactly how football works!  

Newcastle will probably win the league. They will definitely lose games. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

annoying watching these goals go in for other teams tonight - horrendous goalkeeping errors benefit norwich and preston, massive deflection for newcastles 1st. Meanwhile we keep hitting the woodwork and keepers are pulling off blinding saves against us.

Just now, andym said:

annoying watching these goals go in for other teams tonight - horrendous goalkeeping errors benefit norwich and preston, massive deflection for newcastles 1st. Meanwhile we keep hitting the woodwork and keepers are pulling off blinding saves against us.

Have patience. It will even out. 

Â