The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

It would be very "Randy Lerner" to sell us to someone who is a bit of a fraud. I expect nothing else from Randy, I get the impression he's easily romantically nourished by people who talk a good talk, like Tom Fox. It really wouldn't shock me if Dr.X has sold Randy a vision of what he wants to do with Villa and Randy has bought into it without really checking if he can back it up.

Time will tell. 

Gunna remain positive, but kinda expecting it to fall down like a house of cards....

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Mike, I happen to have it on reliable authority that you are a reasonably successful businessman. Myself less so, but I do know that it is often prudent to agree payment terms when acquiring assets regardless of your cash flow situation. For varying reasons, some too complex for this mere mortal to care to understand. 

Could you tell me, for example, the most prudent way to take money out of China?

What I have read is that it is a cash sum up front (£75m) and an additional sum (£25m) upon promotion. Both Hollis and Xia have stated that the deal is cash. 

Yes, it could go tits. But I don't think the reasons you've given are valid concerns. 

Dave,

If the story about £52 mill up front is correct, my recall was obviously wrong but imho somethings about this seem all wrong. Have you ever known someone go to so much trouble to persuade the press that he has the money and outline a deal in such detail? All he has to do is persuade the PL and League to pass the "fit and proper" tests.

I cannot think of any other billionaire in the past who would show the Daily Mail a bank certificate and it feels like a parallel PR exercise. True "Billionaires" or indeed "Millionaires" do not need to prove themselves to the press and if anything the rich Chinese I have met avoid them like the plague and keep out of the spotlight as they are wary of upsetting the Communist party or bringing the country into disrepute.  Dr Xia stated in the DM article that he "would rather keep a low profile". Employing Samuelson and meeting a DM journalist at his Beijing home suggest otherwise and almost as if he is trying to hard. Why did he need to bolster his perceived wealth by saying

" that within months he will complete a $3.5bn takeover of a US logistics firm"

My business concerns are nowhere near this scale but I have known plenty of very wealthy individuals over the years but have never known one or indeed a company who would show their hand like this.

As for your question "Could you tell me, for example, the most prudent way to take money out of China?" I can only assume this is where Samuelson comes in somehow However the "cash" is probably not in China but possibly held in an escrow account somewhere in Europe. I doubt that Hollis would have only accepted a bank certificate from a Chinese bank as evidence but nothing would surprise me.

If the guy has the money, is going to invest and helps Villa return the the PL, great, but I have never been one for believing all the initial spin and IMO questioning some of the detail and those involved is entirely reasonable. If anything accepting stuff on face value is not. As the saying goes "All that glitters is not gold"

At the end of the day the fans have no influence and I only want what is best for the club. Whether Dr Xia takes over or not I will be at VP as usual next season.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Have you ever known someone go to so much trouble to persuade the press that he has the money and outline a deal in such detail? All he has to do is persuade the PL and League to pass the "fit and proper" tests.

Mike sorry to interject, but this was obviously due to the pelting he was getting from the British Media. He does not seem to be the most media adept person either, could have just been a genuine mistake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mike sorry to interject, but this was obviously due to the pelting he was getting from the British Media. He does not seem to be the most media adept person either, could have just been a genuine mistake.

That's what I was thinking. The financial times poking at you and now Forbes regurgitating the same story a week later, feels more like a tabloid smear campaign than Financial journalism. 

Could be western media not appreciating Chinese ownership, maybe relating to the steel incident disrupting markets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You may well be right but "Billionaires" by the very nature of their wealth are rarely susceptible to media attention. They just get on with it. 

36 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

You may well be right but "Billionaires" by the very nature of their wealth are rarely susceptible to media attention. They just get on with it. 

Most billionaires are on some sort of list saying how fabulously wealthy they are and don't get this kind of attention really.  Xia's problem is that nobody knows anything about him really, hence the huge skepticism (justly IMO) and I think it's perfectly reasonable to offer proof to a journalist.  It can look a bit 'guilty' at the same time, though.  I'll feel more comfortable when the league does its checks and a manager is appointed, along with a press conference that can deal some of the issues.

53 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

My business concerns are nowhere near this scale but I have known plenty of very wealthy individuals over the years but have never known one or indeed a company who would show their hand like this.

no they just leak to Hello magazine where they will be with their latest yacht and supermodel  :) 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

no they just leak to Hello magazine where they will be with their latest yacht and supermodel  :) 

Probably do or at least their PR agent does, but would they tell the press that they will be buying a $3.5 billion business in X months?

58 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Dave,

If the story about £52 mill up front is correct, my recall was obviously wrong but imho somethings about this seem all wrong. Have you ever known someone go to so much trouble to persuade the press that he has the money and outline a deal in such detail? All he has to do is persuade the PL and League to pass the "fit and proper" tests.

I cannot think of any other billionaire in the past who would show the Daily Mail a bank certificate and it feels like a parallel PR exercise. True "Billionaires" or indeed "Millionaires" do not need to prove themselves to the press and if anything the rich Chinese I have met avoid them like the plague and keep out of the spotlight as they are wary of upsetting the Communist party or bringing the country into disrepute.  Dr Xia stated in the DM article that he "would rather keep a low profile". Employing Samuelson and meeting a DM journalist at his Beijing home suggest otherwise and almost as if he is trying to hard. Why did he need to bolster his perceived wealth by saying

" that within months he will complete a $3.5bn takeover of a US logistics firm"

As for your question "Could you tell me, for example, the most prudent way to take money out of China?" I can only assume this is where Samuelson comes in somehow However the "cash" is probably not in China but possibly held in an escrow account somewhere in Europe. I doubt that Hollis would have only accepted a bank certificate from a Chinese bank as evidence but nothing would surprise me.

If the guy has the money, is going to invest and helps Villa return the the PL, great, but I have never been one for believing all the initial spin and IMO questioning some of the detail and those involved is entirely reasonable. If anything accepting stuff on face value is not. As the saying goes "All that glitters is not gold"

At the end of the day the fans have no influence and I only want what is best for the club. Whether Dr Xia takes over or not I will be at VP as usual next season.

I am with you on this Mike....well put.

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Have you ever known someone go to so much trouble to persuade the press that he has the money and outline a deal in such detail? All he has to do is persuade the PL and League to pass the "fit and proper" tests.

Seems a bit damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

• Like 2

It will all come out in the wash soon enough.  I think it is the involvement of Samuelson that has a lot of people spooked - me too if I am honest, but nothing we can do now but wait and see.  Just hope Hollis and Lerner have done the right thing

• Like 2

I fully and completely understand the apprehension people have about Xia and Samuelson

But I can't help but remain positive about all this because it isn't Lerner. I mean, to be worse, we'd have to have owners who were actively screwing us over. That'd be fairly unlucky.

• Like 1