The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

So whats the feeling today then?

Xia = Crook with nothing to back up the deal and it will all go pear shaped

or

Xia = Bone fide genuine

Still elated that Lerner is going, though can't fully celebrate until he's officially gone.  Can't really see past that for now.

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It's no wonder there is so much cultural misunderstanding when our leaders show us such a poor example.

57344438.jpg

This reminds me of a funny story, quite trivil one though, that shows the culture difference is in fact everywhere.

About 6 years ago I invited a friend from Australia to have lunch with my family (my mom made food for us). Then we shared the food, everything was fine.  My friend only ate a little (he tends to eat very little for lunch, but for Chinese we always have a full meal for lunch especially in small towns). Then my mom offered him some more food, and he politely rejected. My mom started panicking (because it is very rude to reject elderly's offer of food at a formal meal, especially by important guests - my mom never had meal with foreigners so she prepared a long time for the meal). She thought it was because the food is too salty/spicy so she actually tried to make more food (and I told her not too). She felt extremely sorry and couldn't even eat anymore (as she thought she didn't do well enough to accommodate a foreign guest). My mom later that day asked me: you friend is almost 2 metres tall, how can he be full with that little food??

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deisler123 said:

This reminds me of a funny story, quite trivil one though, that shows the culture difference is in fact everywhere.

About 6 years ago I invited a friend from Australia to have lunch with my family (my mom made food for us). Then we shared the food, everything was fine.  My friend only ate a little (he tends to eat very little for lunch, but for Chinese we always have a full meal for lunch especially in small towns). Then my mom offered him some more food, and he politely rejected. My mom started panicking (because it is very rude to reject elderly's offer of food at a formal meal, especially by important guests - my mom never had meal with foreigners so she prepared a long time for the meal). She thought it was because the food is too salty/spicy so she actually tried to make more food (and I told her not too). She felt extremely sorry and couldn't even eat anymore (as she thought she didn't do well enough to accommodate a foreign guest). My mom later that day asked me: you friend is almost 2 metres tall, how can he be full with that little food??

Was he hungry again an hour later?

(I'm not sure if you'll get this one!)

• Like 1

Isn't it down to Carbs,  More specifically, certain types of carbohydrates, including rice and pasta. These carbohydrates have a high glycemic index (GI), which means the body needs to produce extra insulin to digest them. Certain diet doctors believe consuming these carbohydrates can cause overeating, since excess insulin causes the blood sugar to plummet, creating a hungry feeling.

Typically Chinese buffets tend to load the food up with MSG so you feel fuller after eating less. Thus they save money because you’re not eating as much as you normally would. 

I don't know about you lot but after a chicken chow mein, sweet and sour chicken, egg fried rice, prawn toast and crackers. I am well and truly stuffed! 

Pffftt. Lightweight. :-)

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And, srsmithusa - no, you didn't name me. So who were you referring to? 

I was not referring to anyone in particular, including you. 

One of my multiple idiosyncrasies is that I rarely pay much attention to who posts what.  I focus more on the "what," and immediately forget the "who" if I notice at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Typically Chinese buffets tend to load the food up with MSG so you feel fuller after eating less. Thus they save money because you’re not eating as much as you normally would. 

I dont know you, but I always got super thirsty after having Cantonese food (which is probably loaded with soy source than MSG?)

Funny thing was, I went to western part of China for my honeymoon. People there are addicted to spicy food - after 1 week staying there, at toilet i always feel 'hot' (i am heterosexual and I am a man, so dont get confused lol...)

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

I dont know you, but I always got super thirsty after having Cantonese food (which is probably loaded with soy source than MSG?)

Funny thing was, I went to western part of China for my honeymoon. People there are addicted to spicy food - after 1 week staying there, at toilet i always feel 'hot' (i am heterosexual and I am a man, so dont get confused lol...)

arts-graphics-2007_1177857a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

And one of Recon Group's holdings specalises in MSG...

Gabby Agbonlahor is very happy at this takeover... :twisted:

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's an anecdotal joke prevalent, certainly in the UK, that when you eat a Chinese takeaway (so not traditional!) you are always hungry an hour later!

OK. I got that, but didn't get why hungry an hour later.... Because cantonese takeaway tends to have less amount of food?

to be honest I am never happy about the food offered in the Chinese restaurants in where I live. I think they somehow changed the recipe to suit local people's taste, which is a good thing though.

It is like KFC/Mcdonalds in China now offer fried rice or fried noodle as main meal instead of chicken/beef. If you know how it should taste, you will find it so weird.

Edited by Deisler123