Football board

Sam3773

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

You can tell Bevington has been involved lately, all the comms are on point and there's a theme in there about getting the supporters onside. Good.

Yeah I had noticed this too^

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

According to be gossip page (so probably bs) Andy Townsend wanted as director of footbal

And it is the Sun saying it

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/7053229/Aston-Villa-make-shock-move-to-land-Andy-Townsend-as-director-of-football.html

Sorry can't do truncated links :(

On 31 March 2016 at 23:33, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ashworth used to work for WBA and did a decent job, but it turns out that was just speculation. 

As I said in the Hollis thread, I'm tired of giving my trust away for free. I'm not getting caught up in this wave of optimism because this is ultimately Randy Lerner's work. He has appointed a non-football man in Hollis with seemingly all of the power to return this club to her rightful place. All he has done so far is bring in a couple of names, spouted some inane rubbish about having two separate boards and twitched and bumbled his way through a couple of interviews. It's not that I dislike him with that observation by the way, it's that I honestly don't think he believes what he's saying.   

I'll tell you what, when they've actually shown something tangible then and only then will I give any of them, even Brian Little, proper credit. Because then it will be due. You don't get it just for turning up, that's the attitude of our players. Until they achieve something, I have almost zero faith that under Randolph Lerner this will be anything other than a disaster and that some people with good intentions will go down with it. 

Lerner out. Until then, we will always be on the edge of total collapse. Again.  

I do think that is a little harsh, Hollis is doing what most fans have been calling for for years. I agree it may be complete BS as it's Lerner ultimately calling the shots but I am happy to wait and see on the basis we have little else to hope for. Lerner wants out and Hollis may be the best hope of achieving that.

• Like 1

Townsend are you **** joking? Has not been involved in football for nearly 20 years

The guy is a dinosaur. Even his commentary is shit. Can't even pronounce half the players names right and spends 90% of the game talking about work rate and PASHUN. Nearly as bad as David Pleat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Based on what?

We can say that about everyone connected with the Villa or rumoured to have been contacted.  It can however be proven either way though,  Mourinho got sacked after winning the league,  if in last summer someone asked you would he get sacked a few months after the league started I suspect,  based on history you might have said no chance.  Turn that around,  if the Villa tried to sign Vardy last summer they would have got hammered.

People in football are like shares,  previous performance means nothing.  Leicester prove this I think,  Albrighton assists and crosses are totally different from when we had him.  Do you see what I mean ?

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Based on what?

I think he knows his stuff, probably one of the few pundits I like. He absolutely knows alot about the playing side and wont be involved in running the club so gets  a thumbs up from me

Being a ex footballer does not automatically make you a good Director of Football.

Surely we have learn the consequenses of gambling with no experience in these roles!

Not happening according to Pat Murphy

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/35718680

"Andy Townsend is not returning to Villa Park as the club's new director of football. A newspaper report today said that the former Villa captain was set for the post, working with the newly-constituted football board. 

"But there will be no DOF job. Instead, there will be a head of football operations and it's earmarked for Adrian Bevington, who has recently joined the football board, comprising himself, chairman David Bernstein, Lord King and Brian Little.

"Townsend's opinions were sought by the board a few weeks ago, but Little was chosen instead as the football expert with a wealth of playing and managerial experience - including both roles in his time at Aston Villa."

Edited by mattyg38
typo

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Being a ex footballer does not automatically make you a good Director of Football.

Surely we have learn the consequenses of gambling with no experience in these roles!

Depends what the role entails, if its to help Little, Bernstein and Bevington then I am all for it. I agree though they need to be worrying about getting  a manager more importantly than this at this stage

Well its more about the role of DOF itself. 

If someone is to be bought in for the position I want someone who not only has done the role before but succeeded at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he knows his stuff, probably one of the few pundits I like. He absolutely knows alot about the playing side and wont be involved in running the club so gets  a thumbs up from me

You didn't watch his 'tactics' truck or listen to his commentary then?

In depth, it wasn't.

Â