Football board

Sam3773

53 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Pretty sure we have the most "overhaul" of the scouting team possible these past few years. Players will be identified, Randy won't authorise the signings, buy cheap gamble instead, players aren't up to scratch loan or wait for contract to expire because no one will buy them and rinse and repeat. Complete waste of time and money. 

As you say it's all nice and well.

But it all becomes pointless when it's once again clear that Lerner won't sanction the signings.

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Pretty sure we have the most "overhaul" of the scouting team possible these past few years. Players will be identified, Randy won't authorise the signings, buy cheap gamble instead, players aren't up to scratch loan or wait for contract to expire because no one will buy them and rinse and repeat. Complete waste of time and money. 

I doubt that anymore.

Randy will still have the say on how much money is available. But I'd be very surprised if he has any input whatsoever into who we buy with that money.

On 3/19/2016 at 13:07, DCJonah said:

While Lerner is here the club will aim to just get by until sold, no matter who is on board. 

I'll take that for the next year or two compared to our current trajectory.

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I doubt that anymore.

Randy will still have the say on how much money is available. But I'd be very surprised if he has any input whatsoever into who we buy with that money.

Sorry yes it's what I meant. We won't be given enough by Lerner to make the wholesale changes required in my opinion which is why we turn to alternatives who usually don't do well at all.

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Sorry yes it's what I meant. We won't be given enough by Lerner to make the wholesale changes required in my opinion which is why we turn to alternatives who usually don't do well at all.

Again, I'm not so sure. That certainly wasn't the problem last summer. We spent £55m, we just had people who spent it incredibly poorly.

£55m should have been enough to stay up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The club is all over the place really, goes from signing British players to signing youth to experience to cheap foreign imports

I really dont think people from outside realise how schizophrenic this club is

Bernstein - "We've got to get a bit of a move on because we've got this period until the end of the season, we've got the close season, we don't want to leave any of these things or decisions late."

It is exactly this sort of thing which gives me some hope - Fox, Faulkner, Randy - none of them would realise that we have a period now until the end of the season to get things changed in time for a new manager and a full pre-season. Simple decisions like this have been so lacking in recent times. I am happy we have a football board now.

• Like 4

On 24/03/2016 at 08:58, Stevo985 said:

Again, I'm not so sure. That certainly wasn't the problem last summer. We spent £55m, we just had people who spent it incredibly poorly.

£55m should have been enough to stay up.

That's the only thing akin to real money we've spent in 3 years. Given everything else that has gone on, particularly this January, what makes you confident you'll see it again without significant funds being raised via sales? 

We have barely anybody saleable. We would be lucky to scrape £40m selling the entire squad IMO.

18 hours ago, Jareth said:

Bernstein - "We've got to get a bit of a move on because we've got this period until the end of the season, we've got the close season, we don't want to leave any of these things or decisions late."

It is exactly this sort of thing which gives me some hope - Fox, Faulkner, Randy - none of them would realise that we have a period now until the end of the season to get things changed in time for a new manager and a full pre-season. Simple decisions like this have been so lacking in recent times. I am happy we have a football board now.

So why are they **** around with Remi Garde?

At this point they're all talk and I'm done with being conned by it. 

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's the only thing akin to real money we've spent in 3 years. Given everything else that has gone on, particularly this January, what makes you confident you'll see it again without significant funds being raised via sales? 

We have barely anybody saleable. We would be lucky to scrape £40m selling the entire squad IMO.

I wasn't suggesting we'd spend 55m again.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So why are they **** around with Remi Garde?

At this point they're all talk and I'm done with being conned by it. 

Could be a fair few million quid that we are haggling over with Garde though. A week or two at this point of the season won't make much difference. However, if we are still messing about at the end of April I will certainly share your viewpoint.

It doesn't really matter when Garde goes but I still think he'll be gone by Friday what does matter is we are sorting out his replacement. If I was a new manager I wouldn't want to come in just yet because you'd want a positive influence and whilst we are still waiting for relegation that can't happen. Hopefully Garde goes and then as soon as we are relegated we announce the new bloke who comes in talking us up and trying to get a positive vibe at Villa Park again. We need momentum for next season. We need next seasons manager to know who he has to get rid of and where we need to strengthen and the best way is to work with the players for a few weeks. I hope the board realise this. Bernstein seems to understand the link between the fans and the club and we know for sure Little does. Let's hope Moyes is signed and sealed and as soon as we get that R against us we can plan for next season and look forward with optimism. 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

It doesn't really matter when Garde goes but I still think he'll be gone by Friday what does matter is we are sorting out his replacement. If I was a new manager I wouldn't want to come in just yet because you'd want a positive influence and whilst we are still waiting for relegation that can't happen. Hopefully Garde goes and then as soon as we are relegated we announce the new bloke who comes in talking us up and trying to get a positive vibe at Villa Park again. We need momentum for next season. We need next seasons manager to know who he has to get rid of and where we need to strengthen and the best way is to work with the players for a few weeks. I hope the board realise this. Bernstein seems to understand the link between the fans and the club and we know for sure Little does. Let's hope Moyes is signed and sealed and as soon as we get that R against us we can plan for next season and look forward with optimism. 

Pretty much this is what we all hope happens. Bernstein talks a good game on AVTV in his interview but then so did Tom Fox to an extent.

I'm a bit more positive but to be honest there is still plenty to do; new manager, new squad etc I'm just not sure I can see it all happening for a variety of reasons finance being the main one. I really hope we can and make a good go of it next season, to not compete next season for promotion would be failure for all involved but let's think of that when we get there.

So, in terms of how the club is run:

• Hollis has replaced Lerner as the person who makes the bigger decisions and steers things
  • Bernstein has replaced Fox as the person that runs the business of the club on a day to day basis
  • Ashworth (by the sound of things) has replaced Almstadt as the man who manages lots of day to day sports stuff
  • King will now oversee the finances - not a direct replacement for Robin Russell, but overseeing that aspect of the club albeit from a less involved perspective
  • Little will provide footballing advice, most likely on player purchasing once the scouting department has been restructured by Ashworth - not a complete like for like replacement for Riley, but removing the need and influence of a super-scout with a less hands on advisory role.

Which means? It's pretty much the same structure as before.

Now there's every reason to hope that this group of people proves more effective than the group of people they're replacing, but in terms of reporting and operations, this isn't a revolution, or indeed a real change to the way the football club operates (and indeed how most football clubs operate) it's a continuation with new people.

In fact, the bit that's strangest about it is the insistence of re-titling everything as a "football board" to provide the illusion of a completely new set of principles and ideas, for me, that's very much a Hollis signature - here's to hoping this isn't the emperors new clothes.

As it stands, by all accounts Bernstein and Ashworth are experienced and talented people, and they're the key - I'm hoping Ashworth is appointed soon and that this group of four (under Hollis) can begin to get us pointed in the right direction again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I wasn't suggesting we'd spend 55m again.

You certainly wasn't and why on earth should you.

its not a bottomless pit.

there is a distinction between the owner appointing the wrong people and unconditionally funding those errors.

For sure its his fault......but that does not mean he can keep funding his employee's ****ups.

He has to get this right......and hopefully the new football board will. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

• Hollis has replaced Lerner as the person who makes the bigger decisions and steers things
  • Bernstein has replaced Fox as the person that runs the business of the club on a day to day basis
  • Ashworth (by the sound of things) has replaced Almstadt as the man who manages lots of day to day sports stuff
  • King will now oversee the finances - not a direct replacement for Robin Russell, but overseeing that aspect of the club albeit from a less involved perspective
  • Little will provide footballing advice, most likely on player purchasing once the scouting department has been restructured by Ashworth - not a complete like for like replacement for Riley, but removing the need and influence of a super-scout with a less hands on advisory role.

Now there's every reason to hope that this group of people proves more effective than the group of people they're replacing, but in terms of reporting and operations, this isn't a revolution, or indeed a real change to the way the football club operates (and indeed how most football clubs operate) it's a continuation with new people.

In fact, the bit that's strangest about it is the insistence of re-titling everything as a "football board" to provide the illusion of a completely new set of principles and ideas, for me, that's very much a Hollis signature - here's to hoping this isn't the emperors new clothes.

As it stands, by all accounts Bernstein and Ashworth are experienced and talented people, and they're the key - I'm hoping Ashworth is appointed soon and that this group of four (under Hollis) can begin to get us pointed in the right direction again.

I think that is fair comment.....my take on it is ,the wheel rarely has to be reinvented.

Its the people spinning it.....thats the questionable bit.

Lets hope we have finally got that bit right.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sorry I've missed this...who is the Ashworth you speak of O.B.E?

Â