Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm still not sure why Hughton isn't featuring on any of these lists.

Only problem if we went for Hughton is that we would have to wait until end of season and if Brighton go up I cant see him wanting to change clubs

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Newcastle has a lot of potential should they stay up.

I imagine Benitez and the club will have a "parting of the ways" clause in his contract if they are relegated.

i tihnk that's been confirmed

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same. I like him, he seems a decent manager and he's got a team promoted from a very similar situation to ours, plus he'll either have a promotion, or a good effort at promotion, on his CV after this season. 

Obviously if he does get promoted he probably wouldn't come, but like you I think he'd be second choice for me behind Moyes

I actually forgot about HughTon. I like him also, he definitely is up there for me as well

Some people really think that we have a big choice of good managers? Who in their right mind wants to come here? We might be "big" club historically speaking but we're a walking mess. If I were a manager I would stay away given our recent history, more chance of doing a poor job than being a success. Turning down Moyes?! I doubt he has even the tiniest interest of coming here.

People naming Bruce Pearson Hughton etc have 2 problems. The 1st is if they go up they won't come and if they don't why would we want them if they can't get out anyway? Secondly if we did get one of those we'd have to sack them in 12 months either because they didn't get us up or we'd deem them not good enough to keep us up!! I want a manager that knows the Championship but that can also do a good job once we get up. For me that's Moyes. He may not have managed in the division for a while but he's still done it and with a good backroom staff around him (Black and Round?) we'd be fine for the years ahead. 

19 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

People naming Bruce Pearson Hughton etc have 2 problems. The 1st is if they go up they won't come and if they don't why would we want them if they can't get out anyway?

Well speaking about Hughton, if he goes up then yes I agree it would be surprising if he was interested.

But if he finishes 3rd, for example, and doesn't go up via the play offs, I think there's a very good chance we could get him, and there's good reason why we'd want him.
We're a bigger club, we'd probably have a better budget, we probably have a better chance of going up (on paper anyway), he knows the area.

3rd place and not succeeding in the playoffs is still a very good season for Brighton, when you consider other clubs like Burnley, Boro, Derby, Hull etc are up there challenging, and they're all probably "bigger" clubs than brighton. 

As far as I'm aware, not many, if any, were considering Brighton as title contenders this season. Not even play off contenders.

This article from the Guardian, from the knowledgeable Jacob Steinberg, even predicted Brighton as relegation candidates this season.

Brighton & Hove Albion have cheered up their disgruntled supporters by re-signing a former hero, Bobby Zamora, from QPR. Zamora scored 83 goals during his first spell with Brighton and Chris Hughton is banking on the striker to have a revitalising effect on a club who reached the play-offs in 2013 and 2014. His wily, battering-ram game will trouble defenders. Yet the fans who watched Zamora in his youth will have to remember he is 34 and his physical condition will have to be managed carefully. Brighton finished 20th last season.

So I'd say even if Brighton don't go up, they've still overperformed this season. Couple that with Hughton's previous success with Newcastle in that division (a similar situation to our own), relative success with Blues, and decent record in the prem, I think he'd be a fine choice.

Edited by Stevo985

Not for me.

In fact I think i'd prefer that. Like I said before, I have my reservations about the fan base's reaction to the likely defeats the new man will accumulate if he takes charge now. 

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes. 

But the reason for the poor results won't be the manager's fault (on the whole).

That was the point I was making.

No it won't be, only a crazy person would blame whoever we get next for the last few games of the season and want them gone. When did our fans turn on a manager and want them gone for a few bad results when it wasn't their fault? My scenario is the only one that comes to mind. So your prediction makes no sense and your displeasure with my post, which is the only example in over a decade of it happening, seems just as strange. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be happy with either of them 

I can see the benefits of both, but Moyes would be very, very reassuring that we were on the right path. Would be a real cause for optimism.