Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

Gary Monk from what I hear has a lot of admirers on the villa board.

From what I"ve heard of Gary Monk he had even bigger issues between his management staff and the players than Garde had here.

For me the right man would be Pearson, got experience of managing in the championship of course, leading Leicester City out of there with over 100 points. Think he's the right man to settle things down round. Just hope the board don't do something stupid like wait till end of the season, wouldn't be fair on the supporters to wait that long to find out their next man. Also other clubs may look at Pearson till then.

Another name that springs to me if we fail to get Pearson would be Di Canio again he'd be lot different to Pearson but he certainly gets reactions from players and has a strict approach which this club needs. 

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Seen Pat Murphy saying the board want an English manager. I've no problem with the manager being English or any other nationality. But if that is a prerequisite it is just plain stupid. Nationality has NO bearing on ability to do the job. And before anyone starts, you can have experience of the English game and even the Championship and not be English.

You might as well say you only want a white manager, or you only want a manager who is taller than 6 foot.

Edit: though I realise if they're not an EU citizen they'd probably get their work permit vetoed .

I agree - it's ridiculous. Do the board think that if we get a good old fashioned English manager with PASHUN who plays 4-4-****-2 that suddenly everything will be ok?

Clueless rocket polishers.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And your claim people will want the new manager sacked after 5 games was what?

A prediction.

I wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular. Merely saying that the new manager will probably get the same bad results Garde and Sherwood have been getting and the fanbase will start to turn, when we all know the real problem isn't the manager.

If you're implying my post was point scoring, who exactly was I scoring points against? :huh:

• Like 2

Little has said it will be British manager who knows the championship inside out. Of the names we've heard this can only mean Pearson or Dyche. One of these is out of work and not about to manage in the prem. It will be Pearson all day long. Given how long he has been linked I reckon they have already got him as they will be looking to get deals in place for players in May. 

31 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

For me the right man would be Pearson, got experience of managing in the championship of course, leading Leicester City out of there with over 100 points. Think he's the right man to settle things down round. Just hope the board don't do something stupid like wait till end of the season, wouldn't be fair on the supporters to wait that long to find out their next man. Also other clubs may look at Pearson till then.

Another name that springs to me if we fail to get Pearson would be Di Canio again he'd be lot different to Pearson but he certainly gets reactions from players and has a strict approach which this club needs. 

:suspect:

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A prediction.

I wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular. Merely saying that the new manager will probably get the same bad results Garde and Sherwood have been getting and the fanbase will start to turn, when we all know the real problem isn't the manager.

If you're implying my post was point scoring, who exactly was I scoring points against? :huh:

Why will they turn? Is it the same scenario as when Garde and Sherwood joined?

And the only time I've seen fans want a manager sacked after just a few games was Sherwood for not playing Gil, hence my post. Unless there's been more occasions which would support your prediction. DOL, MON, Houllier, Mcleish, Lambert and Garde. I don't think any of them had groups wanting them sacked after 5/6 games.  Seems a strange prediction based on the one scenario I pointed out. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Little has said it will be British manager who knows the championship inside out. Of the names we've heard this can only mean Pearson or Dyche. One of these is out of work and not about to manage in the prem. It will be Pearson all day long. Given how long he has been linked I reckon they have already got him as they will be looking to get deals in place for players in May. 

Where has he said that?

I think that's pretty smart. Our main concern is getting back up at the first try. We can look for who the next manager should be in the rebuilding process once we've achieved promotion and safety. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Why will they turn? Is it the same scenario as when Garde and Sherwood joined?

And the only time I've seen fans want a manager sacked after just a few games was Sherwood for not playing Gil, hence my post. Unless there's been more occasions which would support your prediction. DOL, MON, Houllier, Mcleish, Lambert and Garde. I don't think any of them had groups wanting them sacked after 5/6 games.  Seems a strange prediction based on the one scenario I pointed out. 

They'll turn just as a lot of fans have turned against Garde.

The point wasn't 5 or 6 games (it's actually 7, I meant 5 or 6 losses out of those 7 games), that was just because that's how many games we have left until the end of the season. If we had 10 games left I'd have said 10 games.

My point was people will see the bad results and poor record, and probably want a new manager to take on the summer re-build.

31 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

Haha. I'm sure he's top of the short list - perhaps as caretaker manager until Adam Johnson is able to take over as player-manager when we're in the Vanarama League

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Where has he said that?

I think that's pretty smart. Our main concern is getting back up at the first try. We can look for who the next manager should be in the rebuilding process once we've achieved promotion and safety. 

Said it to Pat Murphy who then broadcast it. Murphy usually deals in facts, so it really now feels like it will be Pearson given that criteria and how long he has been linked.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They'll turn just as a lot of fans have turned against Garde.

The point wasn't 5 or 6 games (it's actually 7, I meant 5 or 6 losses out of those 7 games), that was just because that's how many games we have left until the end of the season. If we had 10 games left I'd have said 10 games.

My point was people will see the bad results and poor record, and probably want a new manager to take on the summer re-build.

So your point is that in a number of games, if the results are poor fans will probably want a new manager? That's hardly a shock. 

If we're being more specific to the number of games of this season and the scenario we are in, I think only those with a pre determined dislike of whoever we appoint will show some displeasure in these last few games. 

Most reasonable fans will not completely turn after 7 games. Like I said, the only time it's happened since I can remember was because Sherwood didn't play Gil. 

Pearson would be a mistake on many levels Imo.

the media would continually goad him until they get another ostrich quote

he'd either side with gabby, Richards et al and the lazy culture (but a happy dressing room) would continue....

or he'd ball them out, we'd fail to ship them out and we'll end up with a lazy squad undermining yet another manager.

Pearson has courted controversy with every management position he's held. He's flavour of the month bizarrely because the team hr barely kept in the prem is now top of the league without him... How does that work?

Pearson wouldn't have his preferred backroom staff or scouting network either as they're still at the club whose fortunes dramatically changed once he left.

a big no from me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So your point is that in a number of games, if the results are poor fans will probably want a new manager? That's hardly a shock. 

Yes. 

But the reason for the poor results won't be the manager's fault (on the whole).

That was the point I was making.

I think Moyes indicating he is interested maybe a game changer though. Sure little may have said that just assuming Moyes was out of reach. The whole thing seems to have snowballed since Moyes reported interest.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I think Moyes indicating he is interested maybe a game changer though. Sure little may have said that just assuming Moyes was out of reach. The whole thing seems to have snowballed since Moyes reported interest.

Murphy also said that Moyes wants talks - and I think he inferred that if it was Little doing the talks then it could happen, compared to last year when Moyes was left unimpressed by the club. Maybe all this quick restructuring is to attract Moyes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, av1 said:

You see I'm  of the exact opposite opinion. Any new manager will need time to assess the quality and attitude of the squad, what better time than now?

We need to hit the ground running in a August, bringing in a new guy in the close season would surely halt that?

That's my opinion aswell av1, get someone in now and or in the next two weeks, the likelyhood is relegation will be confirmed in less than two weeks anyway so will be 4-5 dead games.

I think it's a good debate in itself when do we appoint the next manager, imminently or wait until May/June.

For me there is no time to waste, we know we're down, the other relegation teams don't and won't for another two months so we have more time to rebuild.

59 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

Di Canio again he'd be lot different to Pearson but he certainly gets reactions from players and has a strict approach which this club needs. 

JGYSRXf.gif

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1