Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

One key aspect we need is a management team who are all on the same page as the directors, executives and other senior club positions. One thing I have really noticed since Lerner's reign is how the hierarchy is important to many aspects of running a club and setting the culture that runs through it. We have had poor Directors since Stride, poor leadership from Lerner and the culture has been damage limitation for any manager. 

I hope this restructure will give the next manager a good ground to build on where we have clearer leadership, better work ethic and people who care about what they do. 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Whoever we appoint will end up being 'diabolical', probably in little more than half a dozen games. 

Ah no, here's the trick, the next man will have a window where his targets actually get contacted and a preseason to prepare the squad, before winning an acceptable amount of games in the Championship and that will be proof that Garde is a disaster of a manager.

Edit; That is until we don't get promoted and new guy becomes diabolical.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Whoever we appoint will end up being 'diabolical', probably in little more than half a dozen games. 

You say that like when such statements are made by people, they have been wrong.

There really is no cut off point to when people can form a negative opinion of somebody.

:lol:

we are bottom of the table and are among the worst Premier League teams in history, dont think they could achieve anything less 

They could though, couldn't they?

We've lost recent games 4-0, but have also lost by more narrow margins too. Imagine if we fielded a team including 5+ youth players and lost 5-0, 6-0, 7-0 for all our remaining games.

The relegation would look EVEN worse, Garde would get slaughtered (which would be worse for his reputation than our relegation already will be), and most importantly, those promising youth players would have had a dreadful first experience of a run in the first team, as well as a number of fans probably getting on their backs if they made the usual mistakes that youngsters will make.

I can't stand this 'it CAN'T get any worse' garbage, when it definitely can.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

You say that like when such statements are made by people, they have been wrong.

There really is no cut off point to when people can form a negative opinion of somebody.

I think you've misunderstood my point. 

I wasn't looking backwards, but forwards. By the next manager, we will have had 7 managers in around 6 years (depending when Garde leaves). There is absolutely no reason to believe that the job has got any easier for the next manager, and as a club and as a fanbase we generally turf managers out quite quickly. Every manager that leaves us leaves with his reputation in tatters, and since MON none have gone on to any significant future managerial role, and this was true for numerous managers before MON as well. The candidate pool will be dreadful - I suspect it's more likely to be Ian Holloway than David Moyes - and the club is toxic. Therefore the next manager will fail, and fail fast, just like they always do. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think you've misunderstood my point. 

I wasn't looking backwards, but forwards. By the next manager, we will have had 7 managers in around 6 years (depending when Garde leaves). There is absolutely no reason to believe that the job has got any easier for the next manager, and as a club and as a fanbase we generally turf managers out quite quickly. Every manager that leaves us leaves with his reputation in tatters, and since MON none have gone on to any significant future managerial role, and this was true for numerous managers before MON as well. The candidate pool will be dreadful - I suspect it's more likely to be Ian Holloway than David Moyes - and the club is toxic. Therefore the next manager will fail, and fail fast, just like they always do. 

Because they are not very good.

Yes the club is toxic but our list of managers is a joke. MON was by far the best in the last 15 years but taking everything into account, he wasn't that great.

Houllier was probably the most gifted manager we had and he got ill. The rest are all woeful. Not because of the club but because of themselves.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Because they are not very good.

Yes the club is toxic but our list of managers is a joke. MON was by far the best in the last 15 years but taking everything into account, he wasn't that great.

Houllier was probably the most gifted manager we had and he got ill. The rest are all woeful. Not because of the club but because of themselves.

None of them were considered shit before they came here, and several (Taylor, O'Neill, Lambert, Garde) were considered either good managers in their own right or promising up-and-comers. The closest to being considered shit before getting the job was McLeish, and even he had recently won the FA Cup. Even Sherwood had his boosters, highlighting his famously high win percentage. 

In the last 15 years, we've had British managers and foreign managers, English managers and Scottish managers, attacking managers and defensive managers, managers who liked kick and rush and managers who liked possession football. We've tried everything, and with only the arguable exception of MON they've all failed. The constant is the club. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

None of them were considered shit before they came here, and several (Taylor, Lambert, Garde) were considered either good managers in their own right or promising up-and-comers.

Yeah, wrongly.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wrongly based on their time at Villa, which is the point I'm making. But never mind. 

As well as their time after villa. Don't worry. I get your point. I just don't agree with it.

I dont doubt the state of the club. The point is not one of the managers has been strong or good enough to sort it out. Which is ultimately their job. 

Not ALL managers would walk into villa and put up with this crap. We seem to pick the weak minded yes men. Like I say, houllier got closest imo.

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Mark Warburton is at 25/1.. 

Good odd's that is for a punt! he has gotta be on the shortlist. Surely?

Are King Gabby and Princess Micah going to take him seriously?  I doubt it.  It has to be Moyes for me.

Moyes would be great if we could get him, but would he rid the club of the poison? That for me is one of the key requirements - if you're not willing to cull the dressing room then **** off.

Edited by Mantis

Moyes would be my number one choice. Outside of that I'm not really sure who'd be a good fit. Pearson doesn't sit right with me. 

I have more faith in the board appointing the right man this time around than the jokers attempting it before!

• Like 1