Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

19 hours ago, Heretic said:

A sentiment I couldn't disagree with more.

Wenger built the modern Arsenal.

Shankly built the modern Liverpool.

Clough built Forest.

Ferguson built the modern Man United.

Mourinho took a good but unspectacular Inter side to the Champions League title.

Ron Saunders built our European cup-winning side.

Arguably, Cruyff is the architect of the modern Barcelona. Guardiola said something like 'Cruyff built the chapel, the following managers paint it and tidy it.'

Lerner has proved that you can throw money at a club but without the right manager, you are finished. His competence can be questioned, but the man has put his hands in his pocket for the club. More than many clubs that are out there.

The right manager is worth their weight in gold. You need a smart board to find the right candidate. When they do that, the manager organises his backroom team and his ideas build the club from there.

FWIW, my preferences would be Pearson or Moyes.

Imo you are one million % spot on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Goals on Sunday a few weeks back. You could tell he was seething about the whole situation with the praise Ranieri was getting and kept bringing it back to himself. Personally I would still stay away, can't stand him. Hopefully we are already discussing details with Moyes. In my opinion Kante is a big reason why they are doing well this season who he didn't sign of course.

I personally feel that Mahrez and Vardy have a little something to do with it also?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

And who were Villa's first opponents when they started the season in Div 2 in '87 after they were relegated - their rivals to the title in '81 and UEFA Cup winners Ipswich Town.

Were they. I recall a 4-3 game I went to at home to the baggies. 3-3 at half time. Was that not the first game of the season? Perhaps it was the first home game, or maybe I've just remembered wrong.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Were they. I recall a 4-3 game I went to at home to the baggies. 3-3 at half time. Was that not the first game of the season? Perhaps it was the first home game, or maybe I've just remembered wrong.

Season 83-84. (Evans, Walters, Shaw, Ormsby)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I personally feel that Mahrez and Vardy have a little something to do with it also?

They do but my point remains Kante is a big reason and Nigel didn't sign him. (I also think Mahrez and Vardy have improved under Ranieri)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

I have nothing to back this up, but my Leicester supporting mate said that Pearson never used to play Mahrez. 

Edit: wiki says he only made 19 appearances in the Championship. 

Edited by Genie

6 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

They do but my point remains Kante is a big reason and Nigel didn't sign him. (I also think Mahrez and Vardy have improved under Ranieri)

Actually Pearson wanted Kante & had identified him as a replacement for Cambiasso, Ranieri Ok'd the deal to be concluded. He (Pearson) also wanted Okazaki & the deal was going through as he got the elbow.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/leicester-city-transfer-news-claudio-ranieri-close-to-first-signing-ngolo-kante-waits-for-news-on-10430132.html

http://talksport.com/football/leicester-set-miss-out-caen-midfielder-ngolo-kante-after-nigel-pearsons-sacking

Edited by mightysasquatch

14 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Goals on Sunday a few weeks back. You could tell he was seething about the whole situation with the praise Ranieri was getting and kept bringing it back to himself. Personally I would still stay away, can't stand him. Hopefully we are already discussing details with Moyes. In my opinion Kante is a big reason why they are doing well this season who he didn't sign of course.

Kante is good  but the main reason they are doing so well is Mahrez, Huth, Schmeichel and Vardy 

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I have nothing to back this up, but my Leicester supporting mate said that Pearson never used to play Mahrez. 

Edit: wiki says he only made 19 appearances in the Championship. 

he made 30 appearances last season and made a fool of Guzan(which isnt that difficult)

4 hours ago, mightysasquatch said:

Actually Pearson wanted Kante & had identified him as a replacement for Cambiasso, Ranieri Ok'd the deal to be concluded. He (Pearson) also wanted Okazaki & the deal was going through as he got the elbow.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/leicester-city-transfer-news-claudio-ranieri-close-to-first-signing-ngolo-kante-waits-for-news-on-10430132.html

http://talksport.com/football/leicester-set-miss-out-caen-midfielder-ngolo-kante-after-nigel-pearsons-sacking

Not reliable. Sorry.

Thought it was common knowledge that Kante was lined up before Pearson left. 

There's an article in the Leicester mercury two weeks before he was sacked talking about Kante, with quotes from the owner of the club he used to play for saying that Leicester are showing great interest in the player. 

Edited by DCJonah

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Not reliable. Sorry.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Thought it was common knowledge that Kante was lined up before Pearson left. 

There's an article in the Leicester mercury two weeks before he was sacked talking about Kante, with quotes from the owner of the club he used to play for saying that Leicester are showing great interest in the player. 

Apparently it's not reliable :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yeah because it's all the same isn't it?

Local Leicester paper vs Talksport. Hmm.

I hadn't seen that local paper report, I was only given those two links which on the face of it again isn't reliable.

Though I think you knew that anyway.

It seems Leicester have a very good recruitment system as they have shown this season with Amartey so again it probably only needed authorising so again I'd be wary about giving Pearson credit with it.

Sean Dyche top of the list this morning. New manager roulette! But will he come... I can't see how a manager can spend all season trying for promotion, gets it then leaves only to spend the next season doing the same again. Would have to be a huge pay day for him.

I've been thinking about Nigel Pearson and I have to say I'm warming to the idea. I think I still prefer Moyes, but I don't think Pearson would be as bad as people make out.

For a start, he can't stand people who are just tagging along for the ride. That's most of our squad. He's built an amazing team on a budget smaller than ours, who are most likely going to with the title this year (I wouldn't expect the same stroke of luck to happen to us, but instant promotion would be nice).

He's not a 'yes man' like a lot of people believe we look for in a manager, and he knows the Championship well.

In fact from what I can tell, the only reason people don't like him is either a) he has a son or B) his personality. Quite frankly if he can get us promoted back to the PL first go and rebuild a solid squad on our budget, I don't care if the guy's a bit of a dick.

• Like 2

Whilst I agree Pearson wouldn't stand those players only turning up for the pay-cheque, the problem would be what happens when he inevitably falls out with them and we can't move them on?

We'd generate another bomb-squad and a divide within the team.

I would imagine, Pearson is not the most diplomatic of blokes and could tear the playing staff apart, leaving moral worse than it already is.

We need a new manager that would receive the players respect, Pearson wouldn't IMO as he'd be seen by some as a bully (and our squad don't take to that).

For me, our main priority is to get rid of the players who either don't want to be here or the ones that are happy to be here only because of the money. If that means paying them off or supplementing their wages at a new club, so be it.

We need a total rebuild, only retaining players that have shown they want to give their all and get us back into the Prem.

Edited by theboyangel

Just now, jon_c said:

^ So basically we need an old school Italian ball-breaker of a manager, or Alex Ferguson.

Not at all, firstly we need players that are more interested in playing for the club than their bank balance (tough call nowadays) and a manager that won't be seen as a joke (I think Pearson would be ridiculed by certain elements within the dressing room).

Moyes would suit us at the moment IMO - if we could convince him to sign.

He's done a lot in the game and regardless of what happened at United - he was the one offered the job. I can't imagine Pearson would ever get the opportunity of a stadium tour, let alone coaching at that club.

We must stop being a circus on and off the pitch - IF we signed Pearson, the press would goad him each week, hoping for another Ostrich incident or a player throttling mid-game.

We need to portray a professional image for all aspects of the club. The players, board(s) and fans need to buy into it for it to succeed.

Not having a go at anyone here, (and I'm not sure whether Pearson would be right for us) but is there any proof that Pearson causes problems in his own dressing room? I know he is a prick to media, opposition, fans etc but surely he must be ok with his own players as his record seems ok. When he gets a team to win Championship and also avoid relegation when things looking bleak, not many fractured teams could do that....