Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

The problem with Pearson for me is that even though Leicester went on that amazing run last season, he did not seem to handle the pressure there particularly well, with all the stupid interviews and clashes. We do need a manager that finds our weak spots or weak players, but yelling at them wont help, we do need a manager that unites the dressing room and then sells our weak players. 

My personal, but seems to be the unpopular choice, would be Gary Rowett, people are saying Pearson left a good legacy for the next manager, Burton are getting promoted for the second season running, so he left an amazing legacy there. He has done wonders at Birmingham, a team run just as badly as ours, they looked certain to go down, but saved them and is now pushing for a play-off place. He is apparently a Villa fan and unlike Moyes, he does not come here on the back of two bad to disastrous jobs. Also he has a lot of experience in the lower leagues, Moyes might have managed in the lower leagues before, but it has changed a lot since then. He knows how to work a budget, he knows how to sign lower league players (unlike Villa who just buy random players from the lower leagues). He has been extremely impressive wherever he has been and can work with a bad board and lack of funds.  

Edit: Also just because a manager looks calm and unanimated on the bench, it does not mean he is a nice guy behind the scenes. Pearson may look tough, but might be a sissy behind the scenes and the opposite for Garde

Edited by Chicken Field

27 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

The team can't have needed to change so much when they had just finished as champions.

Chelsea say Hi. Leeds say hi, '81 Villa say Hi, Blackburn say Hi and so do many more.  Which doesn't mean you're wrong, but it does show that there are plenty of examples of teams that didn't change much after winning the league falling away the next season.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I might be wrong but I havent seen one interview with Pearson claiming that he is the mastermind behind this title bid

Goals on Sunday a few weeks back. You could tell he was seething about the whole situation with the praise Ranieri was getting and kept bringing it back to himself. Personally I would still stay away, can't stand him. Hopefully we are already discussing details with Moyes. In my opinion Kante is a big reason why they are doing well this season who he didn't sign of course.

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

Chelsea say Hi. Leeds say hi, '81 Villa say Hi, Blackburn say Hi and so do many more.  Which doesn't mean you're wrong, but it does show that there are plenty of examples of teams that didn't change much after winning the league falling away the next season.

That may be true, I do accept that United may not have had the strongest squad, but Moyes did spend quite a lot of money too. He had the opportunity to strengthen the team, but he failed. Of course it is impossible to judge a manager from one job, as they may just not work out, as you mention, (even though I think you were talking about another season :) ) Leeds were a fiasco under probably the best manager from England ever, Brian Clough. Though comparing Clough and Moyes is not fair on Clough :) I just haven't been to impressed with Moyes past record (he did do quite well at both Preston and Everton), I think Rowett has more potential than Moyes. 

Rowett could be our Moyes, coming from a lower league team at a reasonable age.

Edited by Chicken Field

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

Leeds were a fiasco under probably the best manager from England ever, Brian Clough. Though comparing Clough and Moyes is not fair on Clough

I was thinking of leeds after they won the league under Wilkinson in about '91, I think it was, or maybe '92 - they almost went down the next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I think Rowett has more potential than Moyes

Oh and while you might be right, I dunno, but personally I don't think we should ever appoint a manager from, y'know, them. As we saw with that ginger man, as soon as things go slightly awry it's basically game over, because us lot will get on his back (with justification, in that case) and, well it's just counter productive.

Just now, blandy said:

Oh and while you might be right, I dunno, but personally I don't think we should ever appoint a manager from, y'know, them. As we saw with that ginger man, as soon as things go slightly awry it's basically game over, because us lot will get on his back (with justification, in that case) and, well it's just counter productive.

Maybe, but I really do feel Villa turned on McCleish because of who he was instead of where he came from, the biggest difference between the two was that McCleish had just gotten relegated playing the worst football the world had ever seen, he also somehow managed to finish nr. 3 in Scotland with Rangers. Rowett would come here with a more positive resume and playing better football and if rumors are to be believed as a Villa fan. 

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

And who were Villa's first opponents when they started the season in Div 2 in '87 after they were relegated - their rivals to the title in '81 and UEFA Cup winners Ipswich Town.

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

And who were Villa's first opponents when they started the season in Div 2 in '87 after they were relegated - their rivals to the title in '81 and UEFA Cup winners Ipswich Town.

Villa kind off fell back to where they had finished the seasons before there surprise winning season + we won the European cup. Ipswich were on a steady decline since they had finished 2nd 4 seasons before getting relegated + this was life after Bobby Robson, who they replaced with Bobby Ferguson (their version of David Moyes) who took the team from 2nd to 9th and even got the opportunity to later relegate the team.

Blackburn replaced Kenny Dalgish with Ray Harford and went back down to where they belonged :) The biggest difference between these teams and Manchester United is that United were established as a top team, never finishing outside top 3 for god knows how many years. Leeds had just got promoted 1 season before winning the league in 91, and the other teams did not really belong to the top but had surprise seasons. This is why Moyes failing to keep United in the top was a catastrophic season, they were established and spent a lot of money to stay near the top, the other teams were surprise winners and fell back down to where they had been previously. 

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think Moyes is far more menacing than Pearson, Moyes doesn't need to strangle anyone, just stare at them.

To be honest if you lose your temper as much as Pearson does then you can hardly be called disciplined at all.

• Like 2

Just now, Mantis said:

To be honest if you lose your temper as much as Pearson does then you can hardly be called disciplined at all.

Very true - they are also opposite ends of the 'successful manager' spectrum. Common DM - you know you want the villa!

2 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

And to people saying Utd was a difficult job and needed a lot of new players etc. he took them from 1st to 8th spending about £80m on the way, catastrophe. The team can't have needed to change so much when they had just finished as champions.

EVERYBODY knew utd would drop when Fergie left. He was carrying that side. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Pearson would be yet another mistake to add to the countless dozens we have made so far

I agree - I so hope that Bernstein makes the right appointment, or this football board will lose credibility instantly.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

To be fair we gave Mcleish loads of support he was just a very crap manager who played some of the most negative football I've seen!! Rowett would be a completely different scenario as he's a Villa fan but I don't think it's the right time for him yet. He needs to go to another club with pressure to succeed and money to spend to see if he can handle it. I'd prefer Moyes as I think we need an old head to settle us down and rebuild but if we were going to gamble I'd like Warburton. Not sure if he'd leave Rangers just yet though. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

Villa kind off fell back to where they had finished the seasons before there surprise winning season + we won the European cup. Ipswich were on a steady decline since they had finished 2nd 4 seasons before getting relegated + this was life after Bobby Robson, who they replaced with Bobby Ferguson (their version of David Moyes) who took the team from 2nd to 9th and even got the opportunity to later relegate the team.

Blackburn replaced Kenny Dalgish with Ray Harford and went back down to where they belonged :) The biggest difference between these teams and Manchester United is that United were established as a top team, never finishing outside top 3 for god knows how many years. Leeds had just got promoted 1 season before winning the league in 91, and the other teams did not really belong to the top but had surprise seasons. This is why Moyes failing to keep United in the top was a catastrophic season, they were established and spent a lot of money to stay near the top, the other teams were surprise winners and fell back down to where they had been previously. 

Fergie left just as that team was finished. Moyes had a rebuild to do with a lot of players who were past it or only used to playing for Fergie. Getting used to different managers after so long is always hard and most teams dip when it happens. That's why Wenger gets to stick around so much as replacing them is so hard and the Liverpool teams of the 80/90's always tried to keep the boot room so there wasn't much change. I think he's experiences after Evertin will stand him in good stead here as he'd only had an upward curve I his career until United. 

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I agree - I so hope that Bernstein makes the right appointment, or this football board will lose credibility instantly.

It won't be Bernstein making the appointment - the football board will make recommendations, but the appointment of a manager will be the decision of the main board.

Disappointingly in my opinion.