Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I just don't think I can handle another dour Scottish man.

I hear you, but I'd rather another dour Scottish man than an Englishman who happens to be one of the biggest pricks in football.

• Like 3

Sam Longson to Brian Clough : " The reality of footballing life is this. The chairman is the boss, then comes the directors, then the secretary, then the fans, then the players, and then finally, last of all, the bottom of the heap, the lowest of the low, comes the one, who we can all do without, the f****g manager."  The Damned United.

For us to be decent again, Randy has to sell, we need to get rid of the players who are playing like they hate this club and replace them with players who do or would cherish playing for Villa, so the fans can actually enjoy being fans of this wonderful club again. Then, we should look at who our manager should be.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Sam Longson to Brian Clough : " The reality of footballing life is this. The chairman is the boss, then comes the directors, then the secretary, then the fans, then the players, and then finally, last of all, the bottom of the heap, the lowest of the low, comes the one, who we can all do without, the f****g manager."  The Damned United.

A sentiment I couldn't disagree with more.

Wenger built the modern Arsenal.

Shankly built the modern Liverpool.

Clough built Forest.

Ferguson built the modern Man United.

Mourinho took a good but unspectacular Inter side to the Champions League title.

Ron Saunders built our European cup-winning side.

Arguably, Cruyff is the architect of the modern Barcelona. Guardiola said something like 'Cruyff built the chapel, the following managers paint it and tidy it.'

Lerner has proved that you can throw money at a club but without the right manager, you are finished. His competence can be questioned, but the man has put his hands in his pocket for the club. More than many clubs that are out there.

The right manager is worth their weight in gold. You need a smart board to find the right candidate. When they do that, the manager organises his backroom team and his ideas build the club from there.

FWIW, my preferences would be Pearson or Moyes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

A sentiment I couldn't disagree with more.

Wenger built the modern Arsenal.

Shankly built the modern Liverpool.

Clough built Forest.

Ferguson built the modern Man United.

Mourinho took a good but unspectacular Inter side to the Champions League title.

Ron Saunders built our European cup-winning side.

Arguably, Cruyff is the architect of the modern Barcelona. Guardiola said something like 'Cruyff built the chapel, the following managers paint it and tidy it.'

Lerner has proved that you can throw money at a club but without the right manager, you are finished. His competence can be questioned, but the man has put his hands in his pocket for the club. More than many clubs that are out there.

The right manager is worth their weight in gold. You need a smart board to find the right candidate. When they do that, the manager organises his backroom team and his ideas build the club from there.

FWIW, my preferences would be Pearson or Moyes.

While I agree with your points, I believe you have missed mine. You can also say Lambert was a good manager at Norwich, until he came to Villa. Garde was regarded as a good manager at Lyon, until he also came to Villa. You could have any of the guys you mention coming to Villa, and still the situation would be the same, unless you have the people above you prepared to back you up and prepared to support you, and a squad of players who actually give a damn. If the manager doesn't have this, he may as well wear a lion suit and walk around the sidelines. The quote is the line directly from the movie, and should be taken with a grain of salt. While I agree having a good manager is important, everything else must be in order so he can at least have something to work with. You have to clean up the back yard first before you can mow the lawn.

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I'm not with ya?

Apologies. On Moyes you basically cover all possibilities by saying that "we all want him but he is still a poor manager" . So, if he is our new manager you position yourself to be able to say "told ya" if he turns out good (we all wanted him) or shit (but he is poor). Classic hedging! ☺

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

I hear you, but I'd rather another dour Scottish man than an Englishman who happens to be one of the biggest pricks in football.

Oh Mantis. It's not often you make me laugh or that we agree, but how true.

6 hours ago, Hughes said:

Apologies. On Moyes you basically cover all possibilities by saying that "we all want him but he is still a poor manager" . So, if he is our new manager you position yourself to be able to say "told ya" if he turns out good (we all wanted him) or shit (but he is poor). Classic hedging! ☺

I've said for years how poor I think he is. Even when he was at Everton. Proper overated by the media.

I'd never WANT David moyes, but then I'd never WANT to be in the position we are in, which is, (taking everything into account) certainly the worst team I've ever seen at this level and arguably at any level.

Should moyes become our manager then be assured il give him the praise that he warrents.

Moyes over Pearson for me. If Leicester win the title I would imagine he won't stop banging on about them and remind everyone everyday that he was the master plan behind it all or atleast try to convince everyone. That's without the awkward interviews both pre game and post game which are really cringeworthy. No Thanks. If Moyes wants it it's a no brainer really, I expect him to be in charge next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Moyes over Pearson for me. If Leicester win the title I would imagine he won't stop banging on about them and remind everyone everyday that he was the master plan behind it all or atleast try to convince everyone. That's without the awkward interviews both pre game and post game which are really cringeworthy. No Thanks. If Moyes wants it it's a no brainer really, I expect him to be in charge next season.

Remember Pearson built the chapel, the following managers paint it and tidy it.'

Remember Pearson built the chapel, the following managers paint it and tidy it.'

To compare Nigel Pearson to Johan Cruyff in any way is a **** disgrace :)

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The reality of this in my opinion is that Pearson is indeed very much in part behind the amazing season that Leicester are enjoying. Even Ranieri who in many people's opinions was a busted flush when he landed the foxes job has needed to change very little. They have continued this season in the same vein that they finished last season. 

The awkward interviews are an entirely different matter altogether, and whilst I find Pearson quite an objectionable man I still want him in charge for next season as in my opinion  he's one of the few who is capable of coming, knocking a few heads, telling it as it is to certain players and building a team that can get out of the championship. 

For once I am prepared to look beyond  a man's personal value base in the belief that they can kick-start our great club.

• Like 1

Once again, why do so many people think that Pearson will "tell it how it is" to the players in the dressing room? As I've said time and time again: just because a manager acts like he does in interviews doesn't mean they're tough with the players behind closed doors. Likewise, just because Garde for example is calm and polite in interviews doesn't mean he can't be a tough bastard in the dressing room.

I think one of the biggest problems with English football culture is this perception that if you act like Pearson you must be disciplined but if you're polite you must be a soft touch.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Once again, why do so many people think that Pearson will "tell it how it is" to the players in the dressing room? As I've said time and time again: just because a manager acts like he does in interviews doesn't mean they're tough with the players behind closed doors. Likewise, just because Garde for example is calm and polite in interviews doesn't mean he can't be a tough bastard in the dressing room.

I think one of the biggest problems with English football culture is this perception that if you act like Pearson you must be disciplined but if you're polite you must be a soft touch.

Garde is about as tough as a feather duster

34 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Or that shouting at players is necessarily a good thing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I might be wrong but I havent seen one interview with Pearson claiming that he is the mastermind behind this title bid