Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Tim said he'll consider coming back in the summer! 

How very decent of him. 

I think we should pass, unless we are trying to get to league one as quickly as possible. 

Pulis, especially if as reported he's being offered 'big money' is a mistake.

For me, he's no more likely to get us promoted than Pearson or Moyes. And they won't cost anything to 'buy'.

Get a proven Championship manager and spend the dollar on the squad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TB said:

Sophistication and passion rolled into one? What's not to like, apart from the spelling :P?  If ability completes the package...

For what it's worth, I'm not particularly fond of the 'pashun' phrase myself. But I don't think it's a sly dig, but rather used to describe a type of manager that relies first and foremost on geeing up his players in an 'up-and-at-them, boys!' manner.

Not sure. By some, yes. Anyway. As you rightly say, both would be nice. How on earth, even as caretaker, have we ended up with Black, who has neither, nor anything else. It's easy to gloss over because of where we are but hisbeing allowed to continue is a blot on a very blotted period.

I think the real key debate - presumably for the new owners - is whether we just want up and out, or whether we want to give someone the chance to really build the Club. And, in a circular way, who they choose will tell us about their long term plans. I must admit the only realistically availablle candidate I can think of that I would trust (with the time and money) to do the latter is Moyes. Possibly Rodgers ?

If the former there are, as we all know, half a dozen or so all who could do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ooh-Ah said:

I'd rather stay down for two years and allow a good manager develop a new team with a positive ethos than bounce straight back up by playing muck football under a negative manager. 

I want to enjoy watching Villa play again. 

Hard to disagree. If it wasn't for the amount it would cost us I'd agree 100% just not sure it's a risk we can take. Certainly wouldn't mind if it's the way they went. Who would the guy be though ? Still the same conundrum. How positive is Moyes, the obvious guy if we did that....although I confess I don't know if he did a 'full build' at Everton.

Plus, I could never stand watching Everton. Very solid but not exciting. Trouble is though without someone like him the 'blending' period would be dangerous, the first year of old plus new.....

In many ways one could argue it will be one of our most interesting periods. Do they rip it all up ? Do we get shot of 12 players ? 

On Sundeay Supp!ement they were on about Benitez doing a root and branch job at Newcastle. Its likely Big Fat Sam will be given licence to do the same at Sunderland. We need the same X 10.

Yet many new owner models don't give that degree of authority - will that be Corleone's job ?

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not sure. By some, yes. Anyway. As you rightly say, both would be nice. How on earth, even as caretaker, have we ended up with Black, who has neither, nor anything else. It's easy to gloss over because of where we are but hisbeing allowed to continue is a blot on a very blotted period.

I think the real key debate - presumably for the new owners - is whether we just want up and out, or whether we want to give someone the chance to really build the Club. And, in a circular way, who they choose will tell us about their long term plans. I must admit the only realistically availablle candidate I can think of that I would trust (with the time and money) to do the latter is Moyes. Possibly Rodgers ?

If the former there are, as we all know, half a dozen or so all who could do it.

I'd add Martinez to that list too. 

He's under achieved at Everton, no doubt, but he first season was tremendous and I think he's a decent manager. I'd want him to bring in a decent defensive coach though!

I agree with your point, it's a big decision becuase we need to weigh the immediate need of getting back up quickly, against the longer term aim of actually being consistently decent and building the club back up on solid foundations. 

I like the Swansea/Southampton model. Decide generally how you want the team to play and employ people to fit the model. We certainly need to move away from the car crash, flip-flop decisions of the past few years. 

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

I don't think Pulis would gaurentee us anything but utterly eyegouging football.

Would be like Mcleish MkII but in a hat.

........because we are not used to eye gouging football are we?

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

The thing that is worrying me the most is how on earth is whoever we bring in going to change this team enough so that we can challenge for promotion? There is just too much change needed to the playing staff to make it happen first time of asking. 

We need about 15 players for the first team squad, maybe more, a totally restructured coaching set up, a new coaching team and an entire scouting network. I think we will be in the championship for at least 3 seasons maybe more. The majority of our fanbase will probably turn by Christmas next year when we are in mid table. This football club currently is arguably one of the most embarrassing and badly organised sports teams anywhere in the world. I think anyone expecting a quick fix will be seriously disappointed even with new owners. 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Pulis would be awful, just awful. He may take us up but at what price? His brand of so-called football is in its own level of shitness.

Is it really any worse than what we've watched for most of last 5 years? West Brom actually played very well at VP earlier this season and have played well in a few other games I've seen this season e.g. home to Man. United, away to Man. City.

We would start winning home games on a regular basis again aswell even in  the premier league when we get back.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Is it really any worse than what we've watched for most of last 5 years? West Brom actually played very well at VP earlier this season and have played well in a few other games I've seen this season e.g. home to Man. United, away to Man. City.

We would start winning home games on a regular basis again aswell even in  the premier league when we get back.

My fear is that we'd be stuck with him for years because he's relatively successful at grinding out results (mainly draws and low-scoring wins).