Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, Richard said:

A bit of gut feel a bit of the unknown I guess.  Houghton went to a couple of bigger clubs and didnt last long,  I just feel he has a level he has reached with the likes of,  Norwich,  Brighton etc.  I am not sure he is the manager for medium to long term to create a culture,  style ,  club in his image type thing. I think he is too subservient .  I dont feel that way with Rowett,  but like I say I'm not dying in a ditch over anyone as to be honest if we get taken over the nature of the job changes and I would hope gets a little easier.  If we dont get taken over it doesnt matter as we will still have fukwit lerner pulling the strings

I think he was very unlucky to be sacked at Newcastle to be honest. He has shown he can work in difficult conditions and do well like at blose. I think either would be good appointments. I hope so mate with Lerner still here we have no chance at promotion. Lets hope the end is near for that cretin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But Rich he is in the same mould as Rowett. why would you take one and not the other? If anything Hughtons done better than rowett this year and at all the clubs he has been at. 

To be fair, I was about to reply to Rich with the same comment about Hughton but, I agree with Rich's reply after having a think. Hughton was unlucky to lose his job at Newcastle after taking them up but, he does have a passive air about him whereas Rowett does seem to be made of something a bit stronger and has a steely look about him. I'm not sure who is the answer anymore. I moaned when we got John Gregory and then enjoyed watching Villa with him as manager, so what do I know?

After one club wonders like Sherwood and Garde I am more inclined to hope for a manager with more experience in the management game. Someone who is say early 50's who has managed at least 3-4 clubs. I guess Moyes fits that bill well?

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

Just checked and Hughton had a 55% win ratio at Newcastle. That's better than Robson's or Keegan for them.

Undoubtedly skewed by his win rate in the Championship. But that's where we are now :)

3 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Just checked and Hughton had a 55% win ratio at Newcastle. That's better than Robson's or Keegan for them.

He was their manager in the championship :) so can't really be compared. 

Edit: Plus that is excluding 10 games as caretaker where he had a 10% win ratio.

Edited by Chicken Field

If we got Hughton then he may be able to tempt a could of Brighton's better players to move to us (Lewis Dunk is meant to be a good prospect).

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

He was their manager in the championship :) so can't really be compared. 

Edit: Plus that is excluding 10 games as caretaker where he had a 10% win ratio.

Yes, checked didn't include caretaker spell.

I understand why Hughton appeals but am I the only one who finds it a little difficult to completely ignore that season where he spent £25m, made Norwich worse and got them relegated?

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

If we got Hughton then he may be able to tempt a could of Brighton's better players to move to us (Lewis Dunk is meant to be a good prospect).

The true nature of our relegation has just hit me like a brick wall.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Isa said:

I understand why Hughton appeals but am I the only one who finds it a little difficult to completely ignore that season where he spent £25m, made Norwich worse and got them relegated?

He didn't get Norwich relegated?  Might have had a poor season, but they went down under some youth coach from recollection.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He didn't get Norwich relegated?  Might have had a poor season, but they went down under some youth coach from recollection.

they were relegated 2014,  he left April 2014

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ok, he was sacked with about four games to go when the damage was done.

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The true nature of our relegation has just hit me like a brick wall.

and that Brighton are shorter odds for promotion than us on some sites

I didn't realise 17th place got relegated!

Evidently it does when the final run-in was Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal, in that order. Hughton messed up the winnable games.

But nevermind, it doesn't fit the narrative. I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Isa said:

Evidently it does when the final run-in was Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal, in that order. Hughton messed up the winnable games.

But nevermind, it doesn't fit the narrative. I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Fair.

I'm slightly surprised that an 18th place Premier League finish with a recently promoted team completely puts off people from a good manager, though.  Especially when that manager has an excellent track record aside from that one season.

Fair.

I'm slightly surprised that an 18th place Premier League finish with a recently promoted team completely puts off people from a good manager, though.  Especially when that manager has an excellent track record aside from that one season.

I not convinced he is a good manager, as of yet. But nor was I intending to write him off with my original post. It's just that the perception of him comes over as 'done a great job wherever he's been' and Norwich - the black stain on his record - is ignored.

They were indeed not long promoted but they had quite comfortably stayed up the season before he took charge and he followed up with an eventual mid-table finish in his first season. So they had stabilised somewhat. Then he was given quite a lot of money (by their standards) presumably to cement such standing or even push on. Instead they completely regressed and ended up back in the Championship. That's concerning.