Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Didn't he get sacked after a season?

No he resigned, after leading them to 6th.

Roberto Di Matteo resigns as Schalke coach after disagreement with club

Di Matteo: ‘It became clear that the club had a different emphasis’ 
 Schalke had failed to qualify for next season’s Champions League 
 Italian had taken over at Bundesliga side last October 
 Raphael Honigstein: Schalke’s moment in the sun … for all the wrong reasons

Roberto Di Matteo
 Roberto Di Matteo says he left his role as head coach at Schalke due to a disagreement over the club's future direction. Photograph: Martin Rose/Bongarts

Agencies

Tuesday 26 May 201510.43 BSTLast modified on Monday 4 April 201614.02 BST

Roberto Di Matteo resigned from Schalke on Tuesday after the Italian said a difference of opinion over plans for next season made it impossible for him to see out his contract, which had been due to end in 2017.

The former Chelsea coach took over the Ruhr valley club in October but ended a disappointing sixth in the Bundesliga, failing to achieve his stated target of securing a place in next season’s Champions League.

“[The director of sport] Horst Heldt and myself did not only discuss the past seven months but also next season,” Di Matteo said in a club statement. “I offered a plan for a possible successful future and what the conditions for that would need to be. It became clear that the club had a different emphasis.”

Di Matteo, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2012, said that his differences with Heldt meant it was better for both the club and himself to part ways and start afresh. “This is why I decided to resign from my position as head coach,” he said.

Club officials added that at no point was Di Matteo sacked or forced to leave, as several reportshad claimed after Saturday’s 2-0 loss against Hamburg SV. Heldt said: “Reports on Sunday – that he was sacked – did not correspond to facts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/26/roberto-di-matteo-resigns-schalke-coach-disagreement-club

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Di Matteo has a career 50% win percentage! Can't be knocked!

My first choice has always been Chris Houghton however!

Well it can be knocked. I'm knocking it! 

He's an odd character, falls out with basically everyone he meets. He'd be a disaster IMO. 

But don't worry, if he's appointed I'll go all Sherwood love in on him the second we win a game!

Hughton is possibly my first choice too. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Nothing will happen until new ownership. 

Seeing as Lerner couldn't sell a bottle of water in the desert, be prepared for a beep-beep supermarket sweep 10 days before our first game at Huddersfield Town.

• Like 1

Martinez linked, I've stated him a lot but wouldn't exactly be a terrible choice for a Championship club. He at least has experience of getting out of that division, he may also give us a decent season or two in the Premier League before jumping the shark. 

Our manager appointment is going the way all our recent history has been going

We started with Moys, then Pearson, now we are at Martinez and Di Mateo, I do hope we sign a new manager before we get down to Lambert and Mc Stupid.  .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Our manager appointment is going the way all our recent history has been going

We started with Moys, then Pearson, now we are at Martinez and Di Mateo, I do hope we sign a new manager before we get down to Lambert and Mc Stupid.  .

You say that like Di Matteo is a lower calibre target than Pearson.

• Like 1

"Death by a thousand cuts"

This "annus horribilis" will soon be over in terms of the Premiership

Lets see if it continues or ends and we have "annus Miribilis"

Edited by TRO

a managers description of a clubs lack of  "future direction" is usually a euphemism of being denied funds. A clubs interpretation of denying a manager funds is usually having no confidence that they know how to spend it wisely.

common complaint in football.

46 minutes ago, Isa said:

If you say so. 

Pearson with one promotion from the Championship (with the most expensive side) = "proven", "knows the league", "just what we need".

Di Matteo who promoted just-relegated Albion at the first time of asking = "risky", "not right for this situation", "not good enough".

I don't quite understand but ok.

Pearson has that all-important PASHUN though. ;)

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Martinez linked, I've stated him a lot but wouldn't exactly be a terrible choice for a Championship club. He at least has experience of getting out of that division, he may also give us a decent season or two in the Premier League before jumping the shark. 

the thought of a Roberto Martinez managed defence of Lescott and Richards is a kamikaze mission

31 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Pearson has that all-important PASHUN though. ;)

That's some "inverse, perverse snobbery" right there Mantis!

:D

• Like 2