Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Pearson to Watford, would make sense to me. 

It's unlikely they'd get rid of someone who ensured survival very comfortably and got a cup semi final for someone who barely scraped through.  The people in charge of Watford sound a bit mental, but not that mental.  They must have someone pretty good lined up surely.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Flores isn't British though, or is that absurd little requirement out of the window now that Bernstein's gone?

Don't think it ever was a requirement. They wanted someone who had experience of the championship - a good % of such managers are British - don't think its any more sinister than that TBH 

Just now, hippo said:

Don't think it ever was a requirement. They wanted someone who had experience of the championship - a good % of such managers are British - don't think its any more sinister than that TBH 

No, there was a specific statement that they were looking for someone British but it was Bernstein that said it.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

No, there was a specific statement that they were looking for someone British but it was Bernstein that said it.

Put it like this, if Pearson and Moyes were Spanish and Italian they would still be contenders. Im pretty sure it was said because the skill set they were seeking was present in a good whack of British managers. I doubt anyone would be ruled out because of there place of birth - its where they managed. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Put it like this, if Pearson and Moyes were Spanish and Italian they would still be contenders. Im pretty sure it was said because the skill set they were seeking was present in a good whack of British managers. I doubt anyone would be ruled out because of there place of birth - its where they managed. 

In his own words Bernstein said "going forward we want an English manager with experience of this league". Presumably he meant British but the fact remains, why specifically say that alongside having experience of the league? It may not be the policy now to specifically look for a British manager but it certainly appears to have been at one point.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

In his own words Bernstein said "going forward we want an English manager with experience of this league". Presumably he meant British but the fact remains, why specifically say that alongside having experience of the league? It may not be the policy now to specifically look for a British manager but it certainly appears to have been at one point.

I really wouldn't get wound up about it mate. 

One of my best mates in the UK is a Watford fan and knows his footie too. He's followed Watford for many years and realises they have no divine right to be in the PL, and that just to stay in the top-flight after promotion is a great achievement.

Having said that, he thinks that Flores' time is up and he's lost the plot. Admittedly, I've only seen watched a full game of theirs a handful of times, but I trust my mates opinion on football.

If a manager refuses to play wingers. Just don't. But at least play wing backs and play an attacking midfielder. Not 3 defensive

Watch Flores. Do. Nothing

0 retweets1 like

Retweet

More

Did I just see Norwich 82% possession? Flores has written his own death sentence with this selection. Nyom is dreadful

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

"Given away by Anya" how many times have I heard that this season

I don't want QSF to go. I didn't want Zola to go. The 2 things they have in common is 1, I love both. 2, neither have a plan B. #watfordfc

6 retweets17 likes

Retweet

More

This is why his time is up #watfordfc

Cg4n3FmWkAAH1NZ.jpg

No wingers, no plan B, picks his favourites no matter how gash their form.... actually he'll fit right in here.

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

I really wouldn't get wound up about it mate. 

I don't think @Mantis is getting wound up. He's right about what Bernstein said about us needing an English manager, the video was posted on here (there was subsequent talk on here about whether he meant British and should we discount Moyes). 

I've asked in here before about whether or not this criteria is still in place now Bernstein has gone. I'm gonna guess and say that the new manager doesn't have to be british. He may turn out to be, but I don't think that criteria is still there. 

Best man for the job/whoever the potential new owners fancy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm not, I was just wondering earlier whether the policy was still in place now that Bernstein is gone.

It's hard to say if it was a firm policy, or just a preference.

Best man for the job, that's all the criteria we need.

On the face of it, Sanchez Flores looks good, but there's a reason Watford are getting rid. I'd probably prefer Jokanovic, the guy that actually got them promoted in the first place.

Edited by StanBalaban

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Flores is linked with Leeds, if he somehow was interested in that job, he would be interested to come here

Having seen how frustrated my mate has been with him in the second half of the season, I wouldn't want him here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

TBF their game plan depended heavily on their two strikers. When Deeney/Ighalo were injured or out of form they suffered. That isn't unusual for a new PL team that doesn't have the squad to change it up effectively.

Of course, and I personally think they've smashed their target by staying up. I know my mate does actually feel the same too, but their survival really did rely on the form of Deeney and Ighalo.

Just from the feedback, it seemed that their fans were treated to some of the things that we've seen over the years - e.g. favourites always being picked, lack of plan B, lack of possession in games, lack of width...

With our squad, we're going to need someone to wring-out every last trick in the book to get Villa back to winning ways, and it would seem that QSF doesn't have enough up his sleeves from what I'm being told.

52 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Having seen how frustrated my mate has been with him in the second half of the season, I wouldn't want him here.

don't know what your mate expects for Watford Champions league football?? What a great finishing position for Watford this has been, credit to Flores. Would be absolutely hilarious if they appointed Sherwood