Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sherwood is a shit manager. So whilst the claim might not be fully rounded out, it could form the basis of a solid argument against RDM. Which I'm not about to make.

It's not ludicrous. Neither is suggesting Pearson didn't do a good enough job to balance out the negatives. 

I think we will have to disagree on this one mate (again :P ) i feel that RDM deserves credit for winning CL as he chose the players tactics, etc. Winning in Munich was was effectively a home game for Bayern is some achievement. Same Pearson should get credit for his part in what he did at Leicester. Sherwood I disliked greatly but he was the main reason we stayed up last season. He got Tekkers firing again and brought some confidence back to the side. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we will have to disagree on this one mate (again :P ) i feel that RDM deserves credit for winning CL as he chose the players tactics, etc. Winning in Munich was was effectively a home game for Bayern is some achievement. 

No Terry, Ivanovic, Ramires, Meireles for the final either.

55 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

That depends who the manager is. If you get a big name manager to drop down it's entirely feasible but if you got a lower league manager just to get you up you'd be in for a change at some point. I think Pearson would be ideal for the next 2/3 years but a Moyes may not be as good in the next 12 months but would be bett in the longer run. These are just examples but it all depends on the owners ambition and belief we can get up first attempt. No point in appointing a top manager if he can't get us up first time. 

The main issue is our manager will need to have experience in the transfer market and be capable of building us a winning team with £30m-£50m.  The big question for me is who would you trust to do that?  Moyes or Pearson or someone else?   I don't see any grounds for thinking Pearson would outperform Moyes or for assuming "Moyes may not be as good in the next 12 months".  The only facts we have are their track records and Moyes has a far far better one so I would back him above all the candidates being mentioned.  This idea that championship or lower league experience is the main crietria we need  is a bit of a red herring  - does anyone think Benítez will struggle because he hasn't got championship experience?  He won't. He will have Newcastle playing at a premier league level and they will walk that league because they will be too good for the championship teams around them.  We need a good football manager to build a team that is too good for the championship.  Moyes is the man.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

RDM spotted at BHX. 

Most likely irrelevant as he lives in Leamington Spa, but there we go!

Indeed.

If anything that's not a good thing as it might mean he's jetting off somewhere else :D

6 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I'm not trying to force opinions to prove my argument, I just don't rate Pearson as a top level manager, the stats back up my argument, they weren't winning games.

I think he did well at Leicester. Promoted with over 100 points is some achievement. Keeping them up again a good achievement. The fact they have gone on to win the league doesn't enhance what he did at Leicester or downgrade his achievements. The reason they kicked on could be that they simply carried on the form they showed at the arse end of the previous season, the players had benefited from a season together in the Prem or it could be that Ranieri is a much better manager than Pearson.

I think Pearson could get us out of the Championship. Beyond that I would have huge doubts certainly if the aim is indeed top 6. The first task is to get us out of the Championship though.

Unless we go for someone more proven like Moyes then the likes of Pearson, Dyce, Hughton are all much of a muchness for me. Four years ago Lambert would have been seen as a great shout for the job now, a few years before that Owen Coyle or Paul Jewell would have been seen as decent candidates to bring us up. You never really know how a manager who has done well in the Championship and got clubs promoted will fair in the top flight or at a bigger club with the pressure of higher expectation. Eddie Howe has done great with Bournemouth but if/when he steps up to a much bigger club who knows how he will do.

In an ideal world and given our apparent new wealth and ambition I would  like us to look beyond simply someone who can get us promoted but bottom line is before we can really kick on we need to get out of the Championship and if we go for the short – medium term option of someone who has shown they can achieve then so be it. I’ll worry about what we can achieve in the Premier League once we get back there.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I think it's pretty naive to think that one manager can take you from the Championship to the Champions League. It's a case of horses for courses and creating a style of play/philosophy at the club that will allow us to change managers when needed without disrupting things massively. 

I don't think Di Matteo would be a good choice. 

I don't think it's naive to think that could happen - it's just incredibly unrealistic given the gulf between Championship teams and those competing in the Champions League (I know, I know - Leicester, yadda yadda.  They're the exception).

e.g:  if Rafa Benitez stays at Newcastle and gets them promoted, he'd comfortably be good enough to be in the CL.  He's a top manager to be honest.  What's to suggest that Di Matteo (CL winner, also promoted from Championship) or whoever else couldn't follow suit?

Leicester didn't get to where they are with just the one manager and Rafa has no experience of the championship. I wouldn't want him as our manager for next season. 

I think we need someone to come in and build a platform for us and help structure things like coaching and scouting properly. Pearson fits the bill and is the sensible choice IMO.

Just now, lexicon said:

We categorically should not be looking at managers who haven't got a team promoted from the championship before. We desperately need experience of success and know-how next season. 

No to Mourinho and Guardiola then?

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Leicester didn't get to where they are with just the one manager and Rafa has no experience of the championship. I wouldn't want him as our manager for next season. 

I think we need someone to come in and build a platform for us and help structure things like coaching and scouting properly. Pearson fits the bill and is the sensible choice IMO.

I've read some things on here but... honestly?!

Great managers and great players are great managers and great players.  The league they operate in is entirely irrelevant at that level.