The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

make us look like the village idiot

And the throbbers complain when people say a lot of them are thick or ignorant! a lot of them are massively ignorant (lacking awareness or knowledge, he condescendingly added).

Widdecombe is completely nuts. She believes that medical advancements will find the cure for homosexuality. Comparing the EU to slavery is hardly surprising. She shouldn't be anywhere near politics. In the past they'd have carted her off to a hut in the woods and left her there.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The **** Brexit Party.  These last few years have been utterly lamentable and it's only going to get worse, isn't it?  Urgh.

Yup. Yes they have. Yes it is. Agreed.

I blame the meeja.

There was once a time, let us recall, when there was a clear line between politics and game shows and so-called "reality tv" (what a misnomer).

That time has passed, and that's bad.  We have eroded the value of having something to say, in favour of saying nothing in a more fleetingly entertaining way.

Not sure of the appropriate thread but here it is:

Captain who rescued 42 migrants: I’d do it again despite jail threat

An NGO rescue boat captain who has risked jail time after forcing her way into Lampedusa port in Italy with 40 migrants onboard has defended her act of “disobedience”, saying it was necessary to avert a tragedy.

“It wasn’t an act of violence, but only one of disobedience,” the Sea-Watch 3 skipper, Carola Rackete, told the Italian daily Corriere della Sera in an interview published on Sunday, as donations poured in for her legal defence.

Rackete, 31, from Germany, is accused of putting a military speedboat and the safety of its occupants at risk in the incident on Saturday.

“The situation was desperate,” she said. “My goal was only to bring exhausted and desperate people to shore. My intention was not to put anyone in danger. I already apologised, and I reiterate my apology.”

The Sea-Watch 3 had rescued the migrants off the coast of Libya 17 days earlier. They were finally allowed to disembark at Lampedusa and taken to a reception centre as they prepared to travel to either France, whose interior ministry said it would take in 10 of them, or to Germany, Finland, Luxembourg or Portugal.

The Italian coastguard seized the rescue boat, anchoring it just off the coast.

Rackete, who was placed under house arrest, is expected to appear before a judge early this week in the Sicilian town of Agrigento to answer charges of abetting illegal immigration and forcing her way past a military vessel that tried to block the Sea-Watch 3. The latter crime is punishable by three to 10 years in jail.

...rest of long article on link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Not sure of the appropriate thread but here it is:

I think it's wholly appropriate in this thread. The new EU immigration laws get conveniently dropped from the conversation all too often imo. People seemed offended (and rightly so) by Farage saying he wanted the UK to adopt similar policies a few years back.

But, you know, money n terrorists n gammons n that.

I genuinely despair. Sycophancy and tacet approval of racial bigotry on one side and Farage on the other. The Illusion of choice.

• Like 1

If anyone wants to depress themselves, I can recommend listening to the NYT Daily podcast from a few weeks back on European politics in the shadow of Brexit. A reporter travels around Europe for a week with a new country on each day's podcast taking the pulse of the political landscape. France is the Gilets Jaune, Italy is the rise of populists, Poland the effect of right wing populists (which is particularly grim) and bookended with Germany and a reflection on the EU, Brexit and so on.

It's **** tragic listening. You can see it all happening, all from the same handbook.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If anyone wants to depress themselves, I can recommend listening to the NYT Daily podcast from a few weeks back on European politics in the shadow of Brexit. A reporter travels around Europe for a week with a new country on each day's podcast taking the pulse of the political landscape. France is the Gilets Jaune, Italy is the rise of populists, Poland the effect of right wing populists (which is particularly grim) and bookended with Germany and a reflection on the EU, Brexit and so on.

It's **** tragic listening. You can see it all happening, all from the same handbook.

I listened to most of them, there really was no balance in them at all. I'm a German national and I'm going to speak to loons from many European countries.

In cheerier news, that is,  if you like laughing at what an absolute arsequake Labour and the Unions are making of a Brexit position. Make sure you read the thread as the first tweet makes it seem straightforward. The commenting tweets are full of Brexity knobs, going on about betrayal, not understanding democracy and other such typical uneducated memes of gammon

• Sad 1

It seems those leaked internal UK diplomatic memos have wound up the Fat Orange One.

Anyone still thinking we'll get a good trade deal from the US?

55 minutes ago, Xann said:

It seems those leaked internal UK diplomatic memos have wound up the Fat Orange One.

Anyone still thinking we'll get a good trade deal from the US?

Probably the second easiest trade deal in history.

• Haha 2

I thought they were so desperate to pump us full of chlorinated chicken against our will whilst raping and pillaging our NHS that I’m sure a small matter like a  ambassadors thoughts being leaked won’t get in the way of anything 

Edited by tonyh29
Ambassador not diplomat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought they were so desperate to pump us full of chlorinated chicken against our will whilst raping and pillaging our NHS that I’m sure a small matter like a  diplomats thoughts being leaked won’t get in the way of anything 

Dont worry. They are, so it won't. Money will be the king as it always has been.

It's not like the thin skinned fool can let an insult like that slide though.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought...

You did?

A large dollop of vindictiveness was just added to the whole exploitative greedy mess.

After we spent all that money entertaining him over here as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

You did?

A large dollop of vindictiveness was just added to the whole exploitative greedy mess.

After we spent all that money entertaining him over here as well.

if the great unwashed hadn't been out protesting on the streets it wouldn't have cost as much   :)   of course as he was partly over here for D- Day commemorations  I suppose  we could send the bill to Germany 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

if the great unwashed hadn't been out protesting on the streets it wouldn't have cost as much   :)   of course as he was partly over here for D- Day commemorations  I suppose  we could send the bill to Germany 

Say Ref II materializes?

Would you vote leave again?

Â