The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

And she doesn't get another vote on the WA unless something significant changes (such as an extension)

Unbelievably stupid situation.

I think this might be a sufficient change in circumstances that would likely see Bercow allow a vote to go ahead but we'd have to wait and see what his decision would be as he said he would make decisions on motions as and when they're put on the order paper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Can someone summarise what's actually happened today? Seeing lots of stuff on twitter about some sort of 'announcement' later?

What's changed in the 2 hours since the evil witch was at PMQs?

May has requested an extension of A50 until June. A short extension doesn't help anything, and just last week the government was telling everyone that a short extension in such a scenario would be disastrous.

It was also made clear that her plan remains that her deal is agreed, so regardless of Bercow the other day she's going to get another vote on her deal and will continue to play chicken with the country 

May also had a very nasty PMQs where she basically blamed Parliament for this mess and seemed to go back on agreement to allow time for indicative votes to happen to take the pulse of the House to see what might actually get supported.

Her extension request letter is a car crash.

She's having a series of meetings today with cabinet (seemingly broken into Leave and Remain supporters?), then meetings with opposition, then she's supposedly making a statement outside No.10. That last bit is the thing that will get everyone excited, but it did the last 4 times as well and all that happens is she comes out, witters on about the same old shit with the same old rhetoric, and nothing happens. This is exactly what will happen tonight. It'll perhaps be a little more ill-tempered and she'll chuck Parliament under the bus again like she did earlier, and still reassure Leave voters they will get Brexit.

A further spanner is that the EU do not want to agree to this extension. It's been said they actually said you extend to May 22nd, or for much longer, and nothing else. So of course she goes with something else. And theres talk that Macron has little interest in any extension at all. And the EU has basically had enough of this shit.

It's a **** mess. And it'll be a **** mess once she's pandered to her ego outside Downing Street later.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

May has requested an extension of A50 until June. A short extension doesn't help anything, and just last week the government was telling everyone that a short extension in such a scenario would be disastrous.

It was also made clear that her plan remains that her deal is agreed, so regardless of Bercow the other day she's going to get another vote on her deal and will continue to play chicken with the country 

May also had a very nasty PMQs where she basically blamed Parliament for this mess and seemed to go back on agreement to allow time for indicative votes to happen to take the pulse of the House to see what might actually get supported.

Her extension request letter is a car crash.

She's having a series of meetings today with cabinet (seemingly broken into Leave and Remain supporters?), then meetings with opposition, then she's supposedly making a statement outside No.10. That last bit is the thing that will get everyone excited, but it did the last 4 times as well and all that happens is she comes out, witters on about the same old shit with the same old rhetoric, and nothing happens. This is exactly what will happen tonight. It'll perhaps be a little more ill-tempered and she'll chuck Parliament under the bus again like she did earlier, and still reassure Leave voters they will get Brexit.

A further spanner is that the EU do not want to agree to this extension. It's been said they actually said you extend to May 22nd, or for much longer, and nothing else. So of course she goes with something else. And theres talk that Macron has little interest in any extension at all. And the EU has basically had enough of this shit.

It's a **** mess. And it'll be a **** mess once she's pandered to her ego outside Downing Street later.

Fantastic. EU aren't going to give May any more room to carry on this farce any longer.

It's time this weak and despicable person made some uncomfortable decisions. For the Tories this is (and always was) a choice between a combined Economic and Political armageddon or just Political armageddon. Let's hope she'll be sensible and just take the tories down, not take the rest of us with them.

7 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Fantastic. EU aren't going to give May any more room to carry on this farce any longer.

It's time this weak and despicable person made some uncomfortable decisions. For the Tories this is (and always was) a choice between a combined Economic and Political armageddon or just Political armageddon. Let's hope she'll be sensible and just take the tories down, not take the rest of us with them.

She's not going to do that. Her prime directive is to last another day in office. Everything falls at that altar. Relying on May to do something that will lead to her being out of No.10, is a road to disappointment. If preventing No Deal saves the country but will see her fall, it's No Deal ahoy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Well no - but the likely result is another vote on her shabby little deal which passes as There Is No Alternative.

And the narrative magically changes into her being the hero that delivered Brexit against the odds and a massive boost in the polls.

Edited by ml1dch

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Hope there's riots.  I need a new TV.

Sure you'd wanna risk that under a May government? Transportation to Terra Incognita if you're lucky. If you're not... She'd have gallows in front of every town hall in the land by the end of the week.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Hope there's riots.  I need a new TV.

I've got my eye on some really nice legs of lamb in ASDA .

Just waiting for those sirens. 

Might grab a few chocolate trifles too if it goes postal.

5 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I've got my eye on some really nice legs of lamb in ASDA .

I wouldn't worry about that - in the event of a crash-out, that'll probably be massively in surplus.

We export huge amounts every spring after lambing season, and in a crash-out we won't be an authorised export of animal produce to the EU.

So there will be huge stocks of it, and nothing but a domestic market to sell it in.

So prices will tank, meaning really cheap lamb for a couple of months. Then hundreds of sheep farmers going out of business, so very expensive lamb in the future. So your cost-effective looting will be next year.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

But to be serious.

Chucking some paint around and poking a McDonalds window with a placard is the first time they ever take anything seriously.

I genuinely don't know anymore.

Poll Tax riots may have elicited some reaction (last time I reckon) but it came in after a name change.

Fuel Blockade by the truckers got somewhere but (allegedly i suppose) ended after threats of violence.

Largest march in history failed to stop an illegal war.

I don't know what it's for anymore what with designated protest zones and the like.

Â