The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That all sounds plausible, with the question about if the EU grant a 21 month extension under those conditions, how would a new extension June then be agreed to by the EU? I don't think it would. If they agree to 21 months on the proviso there''s an election and a whatnot, then they won't let her renege on that. The extension will have been set at 21 months.

It's a fair point.

I think though she'll just say "if it's not this one it'll be that one" and they don't really have any reason not to shrug their shoulders and let her get on with it.

(I think) I've said before, the priorities of the EU27 leaders are basically, in order:

(1) minimise the damage in their own country

(2) any damage they do incur, make sure their population don't blame them for it

(3) some vague notions of EU solidarity, as long as it doesn't infringe at all on either (1) or (2).

They don't have to do anything. Doesn't really hurt them to just agree, saying no puts both (1) and (2) at risk.

I don't think they'd be doing it as any great favour to her or us. Self-interest for them at this stage is to just sigh and let the UK have its nervous breakdown in the corner without making things more difficult for us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To  be fair, he had a politics show to host on the radio. Now keep marching, plebs, and tell the political elite what's what.

I love that they have to pay to join the march, while he buggers off to swill beer and brandy in some Pall Mall club.

It's like a modern-day illustration of feudalism.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

May is very aware of the potential of the Tories completely imploding under her watch, it's been argued that some of her actions before now have been with that in mind.

....And Cameron too.....

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If Article 50 was suddenly revoked, would the pound immediately spike?

Unquestionably. You'd probably see a major spike in international investment too.

Edited by desensitized43
typo fool!
  • Like 1

Â