The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

If a PM treats her Cabinet like this, she can expect little by way of enthusiastic support and loyalty.

According to the BBC’s Laura Kuennsberg, some ministers left cabinet today unsure what Theresa May is going to say in her letter to Donald Tusk, the European council president, about the article 50 extension.

It's like she doesn't trust them, they're there on sufferance, and she expects them to do as instructed.  The lady of the house with the servants, rather than a professional building a working relationship with colleagues.

10 minutes ago, peterms said:

If a PM treats her Cabinet like this, she can expect little by way of enthusiastic support and loyalty.

It's like she doesn't trust them, they're there on sufferance, and she expects them to do as instructed.  The lady of the house with the servants, rather than a professional building a working relationship with colleagues.

There's a word for that kind of system of government...dick-something-or-other

4 hours ago, peterms said:

It's not all that different to how it's always been though.

I remember reading a previous Prime Minister* saying something along the lines of "the Prime Minister chooses the policy, and if the party isn't happy with it, they choose a new Prime Minister".

*I have a vague feeling that it might have been Anthony Eden, but I can't completely discount the possibility that I've just made the whole thing up. So those quote marks should be taken with a big pinch of salt.

David Owen told a story the other night at the talk I went to about May being called in to see Cameron and Osborne in the run up to the referendum campaign to let them know on which side she was intending to campaign.

Apparently she answered all of their questions (in some form), left the room and they each turned to the other to ask, "Do you have any idea which way she intends to campaign/vote?"

It may well be apocryphal but it's not as though it doesn't fit.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 20:07, ml1dch said:

It's a fair point.

I think though she'll just say "if it's not this one it'll be that one" and they don't really have any reason not to shrug their shoulders and let her get on with it.

Appears that she's helping my prediction by at least asking for the above.

She’s asking for 3 months as ‘the public have already waited 3 years’

This just makes no deal more likely. 

Cretinous witch. If we leave without a deal, I hope we see protests/marchs on a historical scale. 

I am screwed in no deal. I’m just buying a car over here. 

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Politics aside, the **** state of that outfit on the left.

It's inspired by the floor coverings and curtains you see in the kind of once up-market hotel you find in small Scottish provincial towns that were bustling a few decades ago but are now down-at-heel and faded.  I think she's wearing it as a tribute to the rich regional diversity of our proud nation.  Or perhaps she stayed in such a hotel, and took the curtains away with her.

On 18/03/2019 at 12:14, snowychap said:

Assuming the content of the tweet below is correct then my earlier cynicism was misplaced.

It would appear that the content of the tweet was not correct.

Cynic's hat firmly back on.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Nothing has changed. The plan remains to force a deal versus no deal scenario.

This government is vile.

And it gets through?

Then what? Divisions magically healed? Precedents back to normal?

Disgusted.

• Like 1

Â