The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

What about an actual cross party thing - "right what can we agree to?" Say for example May were to (she won't) say to the absolute Corbz4PMboy "you know what Jezmeister, I think a customs Union gubbins might be just the thing, whaddyasay we do that?" - then she goes back to the EU and says "can we do an extend so we can rework it to stay in the Customs Union?"

or something? nah, me neither, but you never know...i.e. I think the most feasible outcome based on the Maths is a soft Brexit. No deal and now, because of Bercow May's version are just not viable outcomes (in my opinion).

Yes, I agree that this is a possibility, on these lines:

But I just think doing that would have the very real risk of tearing the Conservative Party in half, which, you know, great from my perspective, but I can't see her doing it. 

• Like 2

My prediction on how this plays out from here:

Council meeting at the end of the week, May says that we are seeking a 21 month extension and says whatever she needs to say to get it agreed. Promise of EU election participation and onward General Election to sort it all out (made in private, not publicly).

They just about agree, reluctantly.

She comes back and claims that now the onward terms are known, that's enough of a change in "context and circumstance" (as per Bercow's reply to Francois earlier) and allows the vote. That happens next Tuesday.

Vote narrowly passes, new extension granted until June for the legislation.

If it narrowly fails, she follows through with her promise at the Council meeting. General election held at the same time as the European elections to mask the fact that they are happening as much as possible.

Edited by ml1dch

39 minutes ago, Chindie said:

May is very aware of the potential of the Tories completely imploding under her watch, it's been argued that some of her actions before now have been with that in mind.

Just about piggin' all of them, I'd say. She's tagged towards the throbbers because numbers, and her personal home counties tory view of the World, which is so limited and restrictive. PMs are supposed to be for the whole country, not a narrow group. Dreadful, woeful politician.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

My prediction on how this plays out from here:

Council meeting at the end of the week, May says that we are seeking a 21 month extension and says whatever she needs to say to get it agreed. Promise of EU election participation and onward General Election to sort it all out (made in private, not publicly).

They just about agree, reluctantly.

She comes back and claims that now the onward terms are known, that's enough of a change in "context and circumstance" (as per Bercow's reply to Francois earlier) and allows the vote. That happens next Tuesday.

Vote narrowly passes, new extension granted until June for the legislation.

If it narrowly fails, she follows through with her promise at the Council meeting. General election held at the same time as the European elections to mask the fact that they are happening as much as possible.

That all sounds plausible, with the question about if the EU grant a 21 month extension under those conditions, how would a new extension June then be agreed to by the EU? I don't think it would. If they agree to 21 months on the proviso there''s an election and a whatnot, then they won't let her renege on that. The extension will have been set at 21 months.

My god. This lot really don't know their arse from their elbow.

They've sent out Kwasi Kwarteng to answer an urgent question about A50 extension. Unfortunately, it appears that no one has bothered to brief him properly beforehand.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

That all sounds plausible, with the question about if the EU grant a 21 month extension under those conditions, how would a new extension June then be agreed to by the EU? I don't think it would. If they agree to 21 months on the proviso there''s an election and a whatnot, then they won't let her renege on that. The extension will have been set at 21 months.

Ah but you're forgetting the fact that she's a lying piece of human excrement and if she'll say anything she has to in order to get MPs to vote for her WA. I think she sees it as the only way her tenure can be seen as remotely successful 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

you're forgetting the fact that she's a lying piece of human excrement

No, I'm not. I think she can say whatever, but the EU rightly think she has no credibility, so they'll straightjacket her.

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

My god. This lot really don't know their arse from their elbow.

They've sent out Kwasi Kwarteng to answer an urgent question about A50 extension. Unfortunately, it appears that no one has bothered to brief him properly beforehand.

It's alright, there'll be a cabinet shoulder to cry on later. And maybe other things to cheer him up.

Allegedly.

I've learned a valuable lesson today.

Having previously described this as a chaotic shitshow and the mother of all clusterfudges, I've got nowhere left to go with the superlatives.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

What are the chances May puts some white Lorem Ipsum at the end of the deal document to bump the word count before presenting it again?

Less than they should be. After all the deal last time was made shorter by formatting it and moving the layout around.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Burton should follow May around with a megaphone shouting "Cut" every 5 minutes.

Then this would all make more sense.

I'm still not ruling out  Ant Man and the quantum realm playing a huge part in all of this.

Â