The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

At the place I mentioned above, it was a bit of a sellers' market for the IT staff - the management needed us more than we needed them. Consequently, threatening to leave was a standard tactic when it came to salary negotiation time. The bosses got pissed off about this, and announced that the next employee who did it would be told to go - they would NOT be held to ransom. My mate (who had a good job offer, and had decided to leave regardless) went in and told them. They immediately started cranking up the offers. Higher and higher, until they eventually gave up. He came back into the office and announced "It's OK lads, it's still game on for you lot". The management were seething. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

At the place I mentioned above, it was a bit of a sellers' market for the IT staff - the management needed us more than we needed them. Consequently, threatening to leave was a standard tactic when it came to salary negotiation time. The bosses got pissed off about this, and announced that the next employee who did it would be told to go - they would NOT be held to ransom. My mate (who had a good job offer, and had decided to leave regardless) went in and told them. They immediately started cranking up the offers. Higher and higher, until they eventually gave up. He came back into the office and announced "It's OK lads, it's still game on for you lot". The management were seething. 

Reminds me of a tactical error on my part that turned out OK. Never give an ultimatum, I know that. But one year negotiations weren't going as I wanted and I went nuclear and said this is the figure or I leave. I was told to leave the building, get a coffee for 20 minutes and come back when I'd cooled.

Came back and was told they'd discussed it and no, there was no more money.

I stood up, said thanks for considering it but that I now had no option but to resign or I'd look like a dick and never get another pay rise.

This was greeted with the HR woman announcing, 'sit back down you prawn, you got your money.'

Jeeeeeez, no idea how I was intending to pitch that one once I got home.

• Like 4

Seems that on the whole by region the  majority of the country is in favour of exit but where as in most regions it's quite tight  ...London and Scotchland it's close on a 20% lead for remain

Scotland, London and the southeast are the only regions in the UK where there is more support for the UK to remain in the EU than to leave, according to recent data from Sky News' Eurometer.

clicky

That's missing Northern Ireland as well, which isn't included in most polls but is massively Remain. Small place, probably only adds half a percent, but there we are. 

Leave are pulling away further in the latest polling, think they'll win going away. 

Donald Tusk (we all know him, he's the European Council President) apparently believes that a leave vote could see the end of Western Political Civilisation.

BBC: Tusk

''I fear Brexit could be the beginning of the destruction of not only the EU but also Western political civilisation in its entirety"

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

7 in my house 

Are you going to get off your missues long enough to vote pal :D

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

If you knew the relationship thread, you'd know that only in my dreams would I have one woman let alone a few :unsure:

Mate if you are single you are already living the dream :thumb:

1-1 in our house, wife dropped two bombshells this year, one was that she found some michael jackson songs ok and she had enough of immigrants. Still reeling from the michael jackson thing.

• Like 1

Of those that have expressed an opinion , I'm not sure I've actually met anyone real world yet who has said they are going to vote Remain  ...

I tend by and large not to outright ask people  , to some extent how you vote isn't something you should necessarily ask / tell (other than on Forums  :) )  .. as I've said before I have no idea how my mum , dad or brother vote and I wouldn't ask .

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Of those that have expressed an opinion , I'm not sure I've actually met anyone real world yet who has said they are going to vote Remain  ...

I tend by and large not to outright ask people  , to some extent how you vote isn't something you should necessarily ask / tell (other than on Forums  :) )  .. as I've said before I have no idea how my mum , dad or brother vote and I wouldn't ask .

I am going to vote Remain. So is my missus, so are both my daughters, so are all our close friends. But then we are all (figuratively if not literally) 'Guardian reader types' - so it's a self-selecting sample. A considerable number of what I might call acquaintances (e.g. Facebook 'friends') say they are voting Leave. 

Edited by mjmooney

I'll be voting Remain, obviously.

Either way, whatever the result, I hope everyone is looking forward to the next decade or more of political discourse revolving around everything bad that happens in the political sphere being because of the way we voted in this ridiculous referendum.

The economy tanking? Well if only you idiots had voted  the other way in the EU Referendum...Etc etc etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

she found some michael jackson songs ok

I know this is mildy off topic, so er, leave, remain yeah... um, but although it's not really my scene, I find some Michael Jackson songs are very good.

I'm bored of the In/out thing

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Team player.

chuck.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Reminds me of a tactical error on my part that turned out OK. Never give an ultimatum, I know that. But one year negotiations weren't going as I wanted and I went nuclear and said this is the figure or I leave. I was told to leave the building, get a coffee for 20 minutes and come back when I'd cooled.

Came back and was told they'd discussed it and no, there was no more money.

I stood up, said thanks for considering it but that I now had no option but to resign or I'd look like a dick and never get another pay rise.

This was greeted with the HR woman announcing, 'sit back down you prawn, you got your money.'

Jeeeeeez, no idea how I was intending to pitch that one once I got home.

Note to self.  Never play chrisp at poker.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'll be voting Remain, obviously.

Either way, whatever the result, I hope everyone is looking forward to the next decade or more of political discourse revolving around everything bad that happens in the political sphere being because of the way we voted in this ridiculous referendum.

The economy tanking? Well if only you idiots had voted  the other way in the EU Referendum...Etc etc etc.

This is what boils my piss. It's a get-out-of-jail-free card for the politicians. Now they'll he able to blame the electorate for everything - "Not our fault, YOU wanted it", etc. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

they'll he able to blame the electorate for everything

Possibly. Though I think there's another dynamic maybe going on. The tories are utterly split on the thing, so I'm hoping that they'll blame each other (rather than the electorate). "You should never have campaigned for..."

And maybe there will be a change(s) to our own profoundly undemocratic system. Appointed Peers, hereditary Lords, hereditary Head of State, ridiculous election system, boundary changes based on known highly inaccurate data...Maybe whichever way it ends up some sorting out of the UK system will ensue.

• Like 2

Â