The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's not even that really. It's 15 seconds of Michael Howard on Sky News and one of the UK's newspapers has gone and got a 'political correspondent' asking for quotes from a (retired) Rear Admiral on the UK's capability v a NATO ally. It's really quite stupid.

For a moment there I thought we were going all trump .

2 hours ago, Enda said:

1. The single market is not protectionist in the slightest; it's the customs union that keeps out foreign competitors. (Theresa May has indicated she wants out of single market, but in customs union.)

2. The problem with Gibraltar is that Spain are taking advantage of the situation, for what the Spanish government believe is in their best interest.

In other words, they're doing exactly the sort of thing the U.K. government has done for decades, and the sort of thing the Telegraph applauds. See the UK's rebate, exclusion from Schengen, non-membership of the Euroarea, and derogation from the "ever closer union" clause, for just a few examples. You lot have been bending and shaping the EU to your self-interest for decades.

Interesting how "the EU's democratic deficit" and "the rights of member states to push their own narrow agendas" are basically the same thing, innit?

3. With the exception of us all agreeing to have VAT at least 15%, member states have complete control of tax rates within the EU. There's no such guarantee for special trade deals for non-members like the USA or Future UK. If I were German, I wouldn't be a bit unhappy if Merkel insisted the U.K. have reasonable VAT and corp tax rates before signing a free trade deal with them. German self-interest, why wouldn't they demand it? Wouldn't Der Weltograph applaud such a strategy?

Look, Brexiteers, you chose this path for (what you believe to be) your own self-interest. It's **** hypocritical to complain about EU member states doing the exact same thing now.

One of the most persistent and mystifying conservative delusions (and I chose a small 'c' for a reason, this applies not only to British conservatives but most of them around the world as far as I can tell) is their failure to understand that there are other people just like them, other nationalists, hawks and hard-liners, in other countries, putting the exact opposite pressure onto their governments. 

• Like 3

You could but then wouldn't that make one bigoted as well :D

* Changed "you"  to "one "as I'm talking generic rather than the poster 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One of the most persistent and mystifying conservative delusions (and I chose a small 'c' for a reason, this applies not only to British conservatives but most of them around the world as far as I can tell) is their failure to understand that there are other people just like them, other nationalists, hawks and hard-liners, in other countries, putting the exact opposite pressure onto their governments. 

A bit of reality would be great eh!

The same can be said for those who complained EU citizens should not be used as a bargaining chip. It's incredible how ignorant people can be, as @MakemineVanilla also pointed out.
Too many people only see one point of view without at least accepting the reality of another position.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Interesting article from Polly Toynbee in the Grauniad. I don't really like her, and it's not totally Brexit, but it is interesting to see someone in the media criticise the... Political reality?... of the older generation.

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

semi Hipster beard

Purple trousers

Quiche on the menu

tbf there are a few more things to be ashamed of in that pic than buying the sun :P

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

... in the Grauniad.

Sunday's Observer...

This is a measure of the scale of the hard Tory Brexiters’ miscalculation – a damaging, historic error that will haunt this country for decades. The reality of separation from the EU is finally beginning to dawn. The initial two-year period of arduous, uphill negotiations with a more powerful, 27-nation bloc begins, and May’s second-rate team is no match

Observer

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

semi Hipster beard

Purple trousers

Quiche on the menu

tbf there are a few more things to be ashamed of in that pic than buying the sun :P

Well, that's what a Sun reader would say...:P

Â