The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

GDP is a shit method of rating the success of a country.

Are we happier?

It’s absolutely reliant on us buying plastic shite from China.

Then we have to protect the plastic shite from Houthi missiles.

Then we stress about all the shipping and packaging pollution.

It’s an absolutely counter productive bunch of bollocks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

GDP is a shit method of rating the success of a country.

Are we happier?

I remember seeing it described that purely in economic terms, the nation's GDP hero is a terminal cancer patient going through a costly divorce. 

• Like 4

If a capitalist employs a bloke to make widgets and the productivity from that is ‘x’ he can potentially sack off the worker and buy a machine that can make and sell more widgets cheaper. GDP is up, productivity is up, one of the two guys is richer. One of the two guys is unemployed. The system says this is a success.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If a capitalist employs a bloke to make widgets and the productivity from that is ‘x’ he can potentially sack off the worker and buy a machine that can make and sell more widgets cheaper. GDP is up, productivity is up, one of the two guys is richer. One of the two guys is unemployed. The system says this is a success.

The company that made the machine is also up, and the engineers who designed it, and the freight company who put it in position, and the people that maintain and service the machine.

Just now, Genie said:

The company that made the machine is also up, and the engineers who designed it, and the freight company who put it in position, and the people that maintain and service the machine.

…so an absolute win for Chinese factories, Japanese finance and French logistics.

The single, solitary, teeny weeny Brexit benefit will be phased out this year.

Non EU citizens will no longer have their passports stamped on entry to EU countries and will instead pass through an automated passport scanner.

31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The single, solitary, teeny weeny Brexit benefit will be phased out this year.

Non EU citizens will no longer have their passports stamped on entry to EU countries and will instead pass through an automated passport scanner.

I don’t think this ever actually happened: I’ve been to Europe loads of times since Brexit and never got a stamp once.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think this ever actually happened: I’ve been to Europe loads of times since Brexit and never got a stamp once.

I got stamped in Germany (twice) and Malta last year.

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I got stamped in Germany (twice) and Malta last year.

Maybe it’s just the Spanish who aren’t stamping then as I think all my European trips have been to Spain, Balearics, Canaries. 

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe it’s just the Spanish who aren’t stamping then as I think all my European trips have been to Spain, Balearics, Canaries. 

I've got stamps both in and out of Girona. So the Spanish are. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I've got stamps both in and out of Girona. So the Spanish are. 

Maybe they just don’t like me then :D For some reason no stamps from several trips

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe they just don’t like me then :D For some reason no stamps from several trips

Maybe that woman at the council was in a different job then :D 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

You may have problems then. If you don’t get an exit stamp then you’ve no proof when you left. Then the 90 day limit becomes awkward. I got held up along with a few others in Greece a while back. It only takes one officious prick to stop you entering, and boy did I meet one. Took 2 hours and a lot of arguing with him before someone senior to him allowed us in. F****ing Brexit bollocks.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How do you compare with pre Brexit?

Screenshot2024-02-23at14_52_55.thumb.jpg.60422a0a31039314965804fdf7987f21.jpg

https://environment.data.gov.uk/dataset/21e15f12-0df8-4bfc-b763-45226c16a8ac

Though these figures are on the wonk because of the increase in monitoring.

If you're trying to get deeper into the matter then the surfers and Grauniad's reporting over the past years will add nuance?

Â