The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

London markets are broken and closed, says pharma boss

E-therapeutics joins the stampede of biotech companies quitting Aim

Writing on X, formerly Twitter, Mr Mortazavi said: “My overriding feeling in delisting [the company] is one of sadness and great worry. 

“To be clear, the UK markets are not just illiquid, they’re completely broken and closed. The situation is worse for small growth companies (in particular biotech) but even sizeable companies such as Shell and many others are saying the same thing.”

Shell’s chief executive Wael Sawan said on April 8 that the oil giant was exploring “all options” and that the company was “undervalued” in London.

E-therapeutics is joining a stampede of pharmaceutical companies quitting Aim, following Redx Pharma and C4X Discovery which have announced plans to leave the market in the last month.

Torygraph

Surely this can only be a good thing? 

**** big business and **** Big Pharma. 

We shouldn't be pandering to markets and big businesses. Let them take their head office jobs and tax pounds elsewhere I say. 

Literally only good can come of this 

No doubt evil Starmer will put his best Tory mask on and try to keep them here though. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely this can only be a good thing? 

**** big business and **** Big Pharma. 

We shouldn't be pandering to markets and big businesses. Let them take their head office jobs and tax pounds elsewhere I say. 

Literally only good can come of this 

No doubt evil Starmer will put his best Tory mask on and try to keep them here though. 

It would be good if we had something to replace the income.

Our strategy has been not to make anything anymore, to become a service provider.

Then we cut links with the outside.

Making it more difficult to be a service provider. 

But we still don’t actually make anything.

Except art, we are good at exporting culture.

The government are keen to cut investment in the arts and arts based education.

Self harm on a national scale.

• Like 3

I remember one of the arguments for Brexit was that all the stuff we were reliant on Europe for would now get made here and spawn all these new industries (which we could then compete with Europe on in other markets).

I can’t say I’ve noticed much of that going on if I’m honest.

It was a nice idea though. 

All whilst the parasite economy and scum made stacks of cash.

The money's been in the UK tanking, and Tory Brexit didn't half deliver.

Worse to come.

I am really pinning my hopes on Labour having some ideas to get realigned with the EU in one way or another.

It might be a pipe dream, but realistically life in the UK isn’t going to improve anytime soon unless we do.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am really pinning my hopes on Labour having some ideas to get realigned with the EU in one way or another.

It might be a pipe dream, but realistically life in the UK isn’t going to improve anytime soon unless we do.

We're witnessing the rapid death of the UK whilst Brexiteers waive their Union Flags and pat each other on the back about taking back control. 

And any kind of criticism or negative evidence will be knocked back as badly negotiated Brexit when their own cheerleader parachuted himself in to negotiate it personally and what they ACTUALLY want would make the whole shitfest even worse. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Everything's changing, and the short term profit, flat footed thinking here is going to f**k most of us over.

It's interesting watching other countries jostling for places in a new World order.

The fossil fuel nations are absolutely stuffing us for cash, so they can invest in their new futures.

China intends to impale us on capitalism. How that goes I'm not too sure? The US and China prop each other up, if China actually has a plan that drops the US in the shit without bringing themselves down? Ah well, that's maybe a problem for future generations?

What's the UK doing whilst other nations look forward?

Bleeding out on the floor with a Brexit bullet in one foot and a Tory bullet in the other.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

If only the media could have mentioned this risk, at the time

IMG-5340.jpg

Only because Brexit was negotiated badly. They'd be begging us to retire there if we'd have left hard. 

• Like 1

So the EU made an offer of a reciprocal four year visa for young people aged 18-30 to live and work in the EU. Sunak and the Tories rejected it… so did Labour 

LibDems thought it was a good idea.

Gives me absolutely no confidence in Labour fixing our Brexit problem.

Just makes me more and more likely to vote LibDem tbh

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bickster said:

So the EU made an offer of a reciprocal four year visa for young people aged 18-30 to live and work in the EU. Sunak and the Tories rejected it… so did Labour 

It possibly was a bit of a trap for Labour though. Obviously they couldn’t approve it anyway as they aren’t in power, but if they said they supported it then the Tories would have been saying “Labour are undermining the will of the people” all the way to the GE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

It possibly was a bit of a trap for Labour though. Obviously they couldn’t approve it anyway as they aren’t in power, but if they said they supported it then the Tories would have been saying “Labour are undermining the will of the people” all the way to the GE.

It’s currently the will of a dwindling amount of people.Public sentiment is very much of a different opinion now.

Labour could have said nothing or we’ll look at it if we win the election or similar but no, they rejected it before Sunak

The Tories are killing their core vote and Labour seem to want to alienate their own

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s currently the will of a dwindling amount of people.Public sentiment is very much of a different opinion now.

Labour could have said nothing or we’ll look at it if we win the election or similar but no, they rejected it before Sunak

The Tories are killing their core vote and Labour seem to want to alienate their own

The Tories could have got some momentum around “Labour will do what they want, not what you want” as a general point rather than specifically about the EU.

As you say though, saying “it’s nothing to do with us” might have been a better approach.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Tories could have got some momentum around “Labour will do what they want, not what you want” as a general point rather than specifically about the EU.

As you say though, saying “it’s nothing to do with us” might have been a better approach.

Well that would have fallen flat because much greater EU integration is clearly what most people actually want. Both main parties are in complete denial over the issue

2 hours ago, bickster said:

There's a bit more nuance than that though.

Whenever the subject of deepening relations comes up I always mention the big problem of "what's in it for them?" Johnson signed over pretty much every bit of leverage we had. They're pretty happy with the current, completely one-sided arrangement, so if we want something that makes our side better, why would they just change it without getting something they want too?

To that end, Labour right now should absolutely be saying that anything that the EU wants is out of the question. Then it goes in the ring-binder with the title "stuff they want that we can use to get stuff we want". 

This proposal will definitely happen at some point for all the reasons you say*, but saying now "that all sounds great, let's do it" is not the right thing to do. Even putting the electoral stuff aside.

*and one more reason, the Commission is fretting a bit about this issue as it's a grey area on whether it's an EU competence or in the hands of individual states. So they're pretty keen to park their tanks on it to stop Spain and France doing the own deals instead. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They're pretty happy with the current, completely one-sided arrangement, so if we want something that makes our side better, why would they just change it without getting something they want too?

Wouldn’t a reciprocal visa arrangement for 18-30 year olds benefit both sides?

Obviously the Tories are gonna die in the hole they dug for themselves, but I’d have thought it makes a lot of sense for the EU and the UK (nobody is doing the other a big favour unless I’m missing something).

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Wouldn’t a reciprocal visa arrangement for 18-30 year olds benefit both sides?

Obviously the Tories are gonna die in the hole they dug for themselves, but I’d have thought it makes a lot of sense for the EU and the UK (nobody is doing the other a big favour unless I’m missing something).

There is a large block of voters for whom ending freedom of movement was the whole point of Brexit.

Opening up the U.K. to ‘uncontrolled immigration’ again (even only for young people) would absolutely be seen as a betrayal to them and they would scream blue murder about it, with the angry mob cheered on by the conservative press. 

The Tories have had to shut down the proposal to stop any further shedding of votes to Reform and Labour have quickly shut it down to prevent it being an issue for the next election. They are very well placed with their current strategy and it would be foolish for them to throw all that away to reopen 2016s talking points. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There is a large block of voters for whom ending freedom of movement was the whole point of Brexit.

Opening up the U.K. to ‘uncontrolled immigration’ again (even only for young people) would absolutely be seen as a betrayal to them and they would scream blue murder about it, with the angry mob cheered on by the conservative press. 

The Tories have had to shut down the proposal to stop any further shedding of votes to Reform and Labour have quickly shut it down to prevent it being an issue for the next election. They are very well placed with their current strategy and it would be foolish for them to throw all that away to reopen 2016s talking points. 

It's all true. We live in a country of idiot words removed (this is aimed at the sensitive voters who would be so upset by this kind of opportunity). 

We must get Brexit back on track, or risk Labour unravelling our biggest achievement

Too many Conservatives seem to see Brexit more as an embarrassing secret than a huge democratic achievement

By democratic achievement he means spread a mountain of lies and followed up with a complete inability to negotiate something good for the country.

The Conservative Party made Brexit happen. If we can’t now be bothered to defend it, it will be Conservatives who pay the price. Then Labour will start to undo it.   So we must do better.  We must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 for fundamental change in how our country is run.  We must get back on track.

Only the stupidest of fools involved at the time are still trying to defend Brexit.

DAVID FROST 22 April 2024 • 6:00am

Lord Frost was Chief Negotiator for exiting the European Union

Ah ok.

Torygraph

Â