The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Brexit Benefit!

The party of small government didn't think this one through did they!

LBC

Who would have thought that taking all regulation back in house would have created more civil service jobs. Doh!

If they were on an average of £50k then we’re paying £100m a week for the extra staff. Absolute madness. I’m sure someone was shot down for pointing this out at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything that makes trade harder makes countries poorer’ – Rees-Mogg nears Brexit epiphany

Jacob Rees-Mogg may have just summarised the problem with Brexit in fewer than 10 words - whether he knows it or not.

The penny has never been so close to dropping. Jacob Rees-Mogg said what the rest of us are all thinking on his GB News – but rather than referring to Brexit, the senior Tory instead took aim at the UK’s environmental policies.

Jacob Rees-Mogg makes key Brexit admission – while lashing out at net zero

As something of a climate change skeptic, Rees-Mogg has rallied against policies which prioritise developments in the green economy. He also linked the closure of Port Talbot’s Tata Steel to net zero targets – a claim which has been soundly rejected.

So close!

link

Taking back control and cutting that red tape

Rowers taking part in the 2024 Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge in London are among those that have been told not to enter the Thames after high levels of E. coli were found.

Crews have also been warned to cover blisters, and wear footwear when getting in and out of the boat.

Pressure group River Action said tests indicated the bacteria came from sewage directly discharged into the river.

Nobody can tell us how much shit in the rivers is too much shit. link

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Taking back control and cutting that red tape

Nobody can tell us how much shit in the rivers is too much shit. link

All part of the small boats strategy

• Haha 1

So, very naïve with all this - How did Brexit allow us to dump more shit in the rivers? In layman's terms? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I don't really understand the whole thing.

1 minute ago, T-Dog said:

So, very naïve with all this - How did Brexit allow us to dump more shit in the rivers? In layman's terms? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I don't really understand the whole thing.

The EU would and did take nations to court if they broke the regulations and EU laws on water pollution. After we joined the EU we had to clean up seas and rivers.

The UK current government (via the regulator, OFWAT and the Environmental agency, which have been weakened by the same government) basically doesn't take polluters to court, and free from EU law, there's no comeback for their laxity/blind eye turning. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Removal of regulations. More specifically, the removal of meaningful penalties.

The Tories often talk about removing red tape, without ever going into the specifics. Environmental protections, workers rights, food safety, building regulations, Carcinogenic additives, fertiliser restrictions, sewage limits etc, etc. Take your pick, they’re all at risk. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

The EU would and did take nations to court if they broke the regulations and EU laws on water pollution. After we joined the EU we had to clean up seas and rivers.

The UK current government (via the regulator, OFWAT and the Environmental agency, which have been weakened by the same government) basically doesn't take polluters to court, and free from EU law, there's no comeback for their laxity/blind eye turning. 

42 minutes ago, limpid said:

Removal of regulations. More specifically, the removal of meaningful penalties.

So, again, entirely niave - is there any reason why our Government would want us to pump shit into the rivers other than profit? Again, apologies if a dumb question. 

1 minute ago, T-Dog said:

So, again, entirely niave - is there any reason why our Government would want us to pump shit into the rivers other than profit? Again, apologies if a dumb question. 

Why would they need another motive? This is the party that thinks the free market can fix things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

No, all for profit

48 minutes ago, limpid said:

Why would they need another motive? This is the party that thinks the free market can fix things.

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

No, all for profit

Ok, thank you - Appreciate it. I ain't about to pretend I know about things that I've no idea of.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Ok, thank you - Appreciate it. I ain't about to pretend I know about things that I've no idea of.

Taking back control in this instance was removing all EU environmental laws and allowing water companies to stop treating all the waste and dump most of it into the rivers and sea. Something which would have cost billions in fines within the EU but now there is no punishment/incentive. 

Â