The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Businesses say a global shipping crisis is causing freight costs to soar and UK consumers may soon see price rises for imported goods.

On top of skyrocketing shipping rates, carriers are adding congestion charges for imports to Felixstowe and Southampton, because of severe delays.

The logistics industry has written to the Department for Transport calling for it to help clear port backlogs.

One freight director told the BBC the UK's ports are currently "broken".

Global shipping schedules were initially disrupted during the early stages of the pandemic, but recently a surge in demand for imports and a backlog of empty shipping containers are causing bottlenecks at UK ports.

Adam Russell, who imports home appliances such as heaters and air conditioners for One Retail Group based in London, said the situation is "scary".

"I've always been able to find a way to keep the business moving, but if I can't find a way to move the goods into the country, then that's when the business stops," he said.

"We used to pay $2,000 to ship a 40-ft container to the UK, now we're paying at least $8,000 up to $10,000.

"Ultimately that means we're going to have to stop importing or we're going to have to pass that on to the consumer."

He said it's "near impossible" to get goods out of China now because fewer vessels than normal are sailing to the UK and there's also a shortage of empty containers ready to be filled in Chinese ports.

BBC

36 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The irony being that if the UK had stayed part of the EU they would have had a say in the development of those regulations and a veto against the ones they didn't like. 

Surely the bigger irony is that if the UK isn't happy with those arrangements, then the consequence is just the equivalent of the penalty of those arrangements anyway.

"If you deviate too far we reserve the right to put tariffs on things"

"That's unconscionable, we can't agree to it"

"OK, then we'll all just have to have tariffs on things"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Surely the bigger irony is that if the UK isn't happy with those arrangements, then the consequence is just the equivalent of the penalty of those arrangements anyway.

"If you deviate too far we reserve the right to put tariffs on things"

"That's unconscionable, we can't agree to it"

"OK, then we'll all just have to have tariffs on things"

Except the UK will have 'taken back control!' 😆

It just occurred to me t'other day - but if there is a no deal and say farmers face WTO tariffs on British beef sold in Europe, if something like that is going to be a disaster for the UK's farming sector surely the gov will just subsidise the farmers in the short term? I mean there's no guarantee they would, but would there not be the freedom of providing state aid for any sector? I fully expect this Tory gov to turn us into a Singapore style wart on the side of Europe, taking a hit on symbolic industries but coining it in elsewhere. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It just occurred to me t'other day - but if there is a no deal and say farmers face WTO tariffs on British beef sold in Europe, if something like that is going to be a disaster for the UK's farming sector surely the gov will just subsidise the farmers in the short term? I mean there's no guarantee they would, but would there not be the freedom of providing state aid for any sector? I fully expect this Tory gov to turn us into a Singapore style wart on the side of Europe, taking a hit on symbolic industries but coining it in elsewhere. 

I think it's almost guaranteed. A useful comparison here is that having ramped up a trade war with China that badly hurt the business interests of American farmers, Trump simply paid them huge sums of money in compensation.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It’s alright, Boris is going to come running back waving a deal like Charlie and a golden ticket.

Nah, both are going through the motions here. Ironically so both sides can say they tried as hard as they could,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's going to be fine, we'll be buying shitty cheap food and weapons from the Yanks.

Nah, their shitty cheap food will be too expensive cos ov tariffs innit, that'll be the EUs fault somehow as well

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, their shitty cheap food will be too expensive cos ov tariffs innit, that'll be the EUs fault somehow as well

external-content.duckduckgo-3.jpg.e59f053a39a86097979d6e8c04e39b74.jpg

Well they can get uplifted at the foodbank then.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

When no deal is announced the stockpilers will be snapping up the toilet roll again.

No chance, I’ve bought it all already 😮😉

Guaranteed there will be a massive knee jerk reaction by a proportion of society and hoarding will commence once more (most likely the ones who voted us out in the first place!)  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

No chance, I’ve bought it all already 😮😉

Guaranteed there will be a massive knee jerk reaction by a proportion of society and hoarding will commence once more (most likely the ones who voted us out in the first place!)  

Tescos expect us to be eating more Cheddar, as Brie is likely to rise in price, therefore I'm gonna go Asda on Boxing day and hoover up all dem cheap ass cheeseboards. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

When no deal is announced the stockpilers will be snapping up the toilet roll again.

I have had a bidet fitted, not sure how it works mind but I will be paper free hopefully 

• Like 1

Â