The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

"The people"

Urgh

Also that Sun headline. Are they implying that Gina Miller is a foreign elite? Yes, she was born elsewhere but spent most of her life here and is married to an Englishman. Dangerous rhetoric there.

And is a Spanish hairdresser really an example of 'foreign elite'?

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

is a Spanish hairdresser really an example of 'foreign elite'?

No, that would be an Australian-American Billionaire, wouldn't it?  - A member of an unelected foreign elite telling us what to do!

• Like 3

The country is **** isn't it. Urgh. Running it all are either scheming elitist evil toffs or right wing nut jobs or a mix of the two I suppose. Then you the have shady foreign businessmen and the worlds financial elite who want to stay where they are pulling the strings anyway.

Where do non racist normal people fit in anymore? Outer Hebrides?

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Where do non racist normal people fit in anymore? Outer Hebrides?

funnily enough  , they want independence and a petition even went to the Scots parliament  a few years back   .....  which by VT logic makes them xenophobic racist little Hebridean's  :)

Tory Mp who was in the leave camp resigns over irreconcilable differences over how the Government are going about Brexit, rather embarrassing isn't it?

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-04/conservative-mp-stephen-phillips-resigns/

Tory MP Stephen Phillips resigns over 'irreconcilable' differences with Government

Conservative MP Stephen Phillips has resigned because of "irreconcilable policy differences with the current Government".

Mr Phillips campaigned for Leave in the EU referendum, but ITV News Political Correspondent Paul Brand said the MP was "exasperated" that the Government is pushing for a "hard Brexit".

The Sleaford and North Hykeham MP said in a statement: "It has become clear to me over the last few months that my growing and very significant policy differences with the current Government mean that I am unable properly to represent the people who elected me.

“This decision has been a difficult one and I hope that everyone will respect the fact that I have tried to act in the best interests of all of my constituents.”

Mr Phillips has repeatedly called for Theresa May to reveal her Brexit plan to Parliament before beginning the formal process of leaving the European Union.

His resignation comes after the High Court ruled that the prime minister must get parliamentary approval before triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to begin the formal process of leaving the EU, a decision against which the Government is appealing.

Mr Phillips has previously warned against the "tyranny" of denying MPs a vote on the Government's stance in forthcoming Brexit negotiations.

Last month he called for an urgent debate in the House of Commons on the matter, insisting that bypassing Parliament was "simply not an acceptable way for the executive to proceed".

He told Speaker John Bercow in a letter: "I and many others did not exercise our vote in the referendum so as to restore the sovereignty of this Parliament only to see what we regarded as the tyranny of the European Union replaced by that of a Government that apparently wishes to ignore the views of the House on the most important issue facing the nation."

Mr Phillips is the second Conservative MPs to resign in 10 days following the departure of Zac Goldsmith, who quit in protest at the expansion of Heathrow airport.

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

funnily enough  , they want independence and a petition even went to the Scots parliament  a few years back   .....  which by VT logic makes them xenophobic racist little Hebridean's  :)

The bar stewards. I'll have to find an uninhabited one then. 

those newspaper headlines are so depressing. It feels like a particularly aggressive way of dividing up the country america style, I know there's already strong partisanship already, but I just get the feeling the atmosphere is being fed by those grotesque pollutant's of ignorance and hate so greatly that we're one lit fuse from it descending into something more physical, beyond the idiots screaming nonsense on QT or wherever it maybe - what comes next? The dystopias of brasseye, the day today, black mirror etc all seem very close to home now. When a people are riled up to a level of incoherent anger that is immune to any countering argument... how do you calm the hysteria? 

Edited by Rodders

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

The front pages today are a damning commentary on this country.

The rhetoric is poisonous and it has an audience larger than we'd like to think.

Surely labeling the judges as "enemies of the people" with their faces is inciting hate speech.

its maddening how they away with it and also with not presenting the facts. We don't stand a chance while people read and believe their vile nonsense.

• Like 1

The Royal Prerogative, by which, the executive can circumvent Parliament,has to be the most undemocratic tool in our Government.Used by all Parties at various times, it is something that should have been consigned to the bin years ago.

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The Royal Prerogative, by which, the executive can circumvent Parliament,has to be the most undemocratic tool in our Government.Used by all Parties at various times, it is something that should have been consigned to the bin years ago.

Along with the 91 hereditary peers in the H of L. 

• Like 1

Â