Keinan Davis

a-k

He's clearly struggling with the burden of leading the line each game, he's a young, inexperienced player and players of his age rarely perform consistently at their best. He is looking jaded, not getting enough support in terms of service and potentially getting a bit burned out. Definitely needs to be taken out of the firing line and be reduced to substitute appearance for the next couple of matches.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's clearly struggling with the burden of leading the line each game, he's a young, inexperienced player and players of his age rarely perform consistently at their best. He is looking jaded, not getting enough support in terms of service and potentially getting a bit burned out. Definitely needs to be taken out of the firing line and be reduced to substitute appearance for the next couple of matches.

Couldn't agree more. 

I don't rate Onamah so for the next game i would like to see:

Snodgrass    Grealish     Adomah

Hogan

Struggling. Its not all his fault as he is young and alot is being asked of him...however his finishing is dreadful  and i mean dreadful. I wont accept the tired excuse as he has had a 8 day break thats just a excuse. 

We need a striker. Ulloa for me is me would be a absolutely brilliant signing

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Struggling. Its not all his fault as he is young and alot is being asked of him...however his finishing is dreadful  and i mean dreadful. I wont accept the tired excuse as he has had a 8 day break thats just a excuse. 

We need a striker. Ulloa for me is me would be a absolutely brilliant signing

Exactly. People were saying Davis has been double or triple marked, but that is what happens to strikers. You have to find a way to get the ball. Other strikers in this league manage to cope, but Davis disappears when he is the lone striker. Davis also rarely finds himself in shooting spots, and when he does, he misses them consistently. 2 goals in 15 matches is terrible. 

I don't want to be hard on a young striker with little experience, but we need to move away from Davis. He just doesn't have what it takes at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Exactly. People were saying Davis has been double or triple marked, but that is what happens to strikers. You have to find a way to get the ball. Other strikers in this league manage to cope, but Davis disappears when he is the lone striker. Davis also rarely finds himself in shooting spots, and when he does, he misses them consistently. 2 goals in 15 matches is terrible. 

I don't want to be hard on a young striker with little experience, but we need to move away from Davis. He just doesn't have what it takes at the moment. 

Sometimes, hometruths have to be said.

whatever the mitigations......its a major problem area for us.

our club should not be as short as we are for strikers.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

I kind of agree, to an extent.

But.....and it’s all of a piece really,we’ve sen it for a long time now.....our style of play does not encourage runners off him, or people linking. He really is, a LONE striker. That’s tough forvanyone, let alone a kid.

We need a decent striker, yes, but playing a different way - as we have all too briefly at times recently - would help also in my view. 

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

But.....and it’s all of a piece really,we’ve sen it for a long time now.....our style of play does not encourage runners off him, or people linking. He really is, a LONE striker. That’s tough forvanyone, let alone a kid.

We need a decent striker, yes, but playing a different way - as we have all too briefly at times recently - would help also in my view. 

Of course. I definitely think our playing style does hurt Davis at times, but Davis rarely does anything about it. I know people said Snodgrass was poor today, but I noticed on a few occasions, Snodgrass got the ball and looked up to cross it, only to find Davis not in the middle of the box where he should be. Instead it was Adomah and Onomah playing the striker role, and Davis would be out wide, or on top of the box. Snodgrass doesn't want to cross it if no one in the box can head it, so he didn't. 

Davis isn't ready to be our starter. We need more if we want to get promoted. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Of course it will help playing more offensively Terry, but that game we was lucky to get a point....(.at half time i said to someone, i would take a point now and he said yes i would too.)

We could open it up and start conceding again.

I don't dismiss what you are saying and believe me i want to see us more comfortable in attack.

However, how many corners did we win today and i can't remember us getting any kind of decent head on the ball, thats not style of play, thats just downright poor bloody play and not competing for the ball.....in such circumstances, we just look brain dead.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Of course it will help playing more offensively Terry, but that game we was lucky to get a point....(.at half time i said to someone, i would take a point now and he said yes i would too.)

We could open it up and start conceding again.

I don't dismiss what you are saying and believe me i want to see us more comfortable in attack.

However, how many corners did we win today and i can't remember us getting any kind of decent head on the ball, thats not style of play, thats just downright poor bloody play and not competing for the ball.....in such circumstances, we just look brain dead.

All true.

It may be that I steadfastly cling to the belief that if he properly opened us up we would be both better to watch and get better results because it’s all I have left to care about !

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If only we had a player on our books who has scored at this level relatively consistantly for years and was not injured.

Nope, can't think of one.

Well we do have McCormack on the books but he looked a spent force playing pretty terribly for us and then not bothering to turn up for training so had to be shipped out. 

If you can think of a player on our books who has scored at this level relatively consistantly for years and made himself pickable I am all ears. 

I think he had an average game yesterday, but he did his best hold up work near the halfway line. We need him 30 yards up the field and then balls played into him, chest height and down. The further he pushed up the field, the higher the ball was kicked. He lost a good percentage of the headers yesterday but held up the ball if it was played into him.

As a target man, it's all about support, he didn't get the best yesterday.

His shooting needs to improve.

I don't want to knock the lad too much but once again we're completely overhyping a very average player. Even when he's been the flavour of the month he's hardly been setting the league on fire. He's a striker who doesn't score, only Gabby would be envious of his record!

He's worked hard, he's had spells where he's held up play well but he's not even a ten goal a season striker. That's clear to see already. I'm confident, but disappointed, that we haven't unearthed a hidden gem and he'll never be a Premier League player.

On 12/9/2017 at 21:50, terrytini said:

Its one of them Terry, what comes first the chicken or the egg.

I am not going to criticise the young lad, its unfair......but the midfield need intelligent movement up front to aim for.

If you have Brian Little/ andy gray & john deehan.....you have a chance if you get my drift.

its a problem that has a knock on effect and at present we are trying to contain teams and catch them on the brake.

If we had 2 formidable front men we could play much different.

I didnt understand what lansbury role was saturday. i thought he would play the support role to help davis out but he seemed to be playing deep and every time we got forward the players were smothered by millwall players. it was very poor. i think 4-4-2 would have worked better saturday but with lack of strikers its not great. i think its time to give hogan a go.

really lansbury and grealish play it on the floor so in theory that should benefit hogan and bring davis on later on in the game 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt understand what lansbury role was saturday. i thought he would play the support role to help davis out but he seemed to be playing deep and every time we got forward the players were smothered by millwall players. it was very poor. i think 4-4-2 would have worked better saturday but with lack of strikers its not great. i think its time to give hogan a go.

really lansbury and grealish play it on the floor so in theory that should benefit hogan and bring davis on later on in the game 

It was really bizarre, Lansbury was basically playing Whelan's role when we had the ball whilst Whelan was playing Whelan's role too. Really poor stuff.

• Like 1

Â