Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

For me, it's not a football role. The chairman's job is to work with the CEO on managing the organisation.

A modern football club is more than the football. Managing assets, renovations, public relations, recruitment, contracts, suppliers and sponsors, the bars, you get the idea.

I don't care if the head of PR has football experience. I care the head of recruitment does. This guy? His job is a business function relating to the organisation.

He doesn't scout players, pick tactics, organise the squads, etc.

Let the football people handle the football, let the business people handle the business.

To a certain extent I agree.  Which is why lack of football experience does not bother me.  However,  I do not think it is as clear cut as your post says.  There are blurred lines

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

To a certain extent I agree.  Which is why lack of football experience does not bother me.  However,  I do not think it is as clear cut as your post says.  There are blurred lines

I agree with the blurred lines. I think for me it comes down to either a football person, a business person, or a jack of all trades, master of nothing.

In this role, I'd rather the business experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

:thumb:

Don't get me wrong, I'm just using what's been printed in the media to counter some immediate assumptions. I started by thinking no football experience, no good business experience = no good. Then I read whatever else was out there and have changed my mind. I think the whole announcement and planned press coverage in the mail has actually painted a confusing picture of this guy.

Meh. Nobody on here really knows what decisions the Chairman will make or how good/bad he is at his job. It does strike me as strange that if we needed a chairman we decide to appoint one midway through the worst season in the last 20 odd years rather than last May when we only just stayed up and were humiliated in a cup final.

Again it just seems to be another way for Lerner to distance himself from the club and allow a mouthpiece to speak on his behalf absolving himself of responsiblity for the mess the club is in.

Edited by villa89

the good news is id be very surprised if he isnt pictured holding a scarf with a new signing in the next 17 days

an appointment that in reality might not stop the rot but wont make us worse either, those that we had were full of ideas that werent working, new bloke comes in and no matter what his back ground if he's experienced enough and intelligent enough he'll know that he needs to plug gaps and football knowledge is one of them, as long as he isnt vein enough to think he'll be able to give it a good go like previous people have

lets wait and see, if we sign no one, if we go down, if we get a piss poor sponsorship deal next season, if we still have the trio with CVs and performances that suggest they're robbing a living then i'll question what the point of this bloke is, but half an hour after he's been appointed none of those things have happened so i wont

So whats the point of this chairman, just another layer of bureaucracy before message goes to Lerner? Don't get what he will actually do.

Should've just got in a French bloke with Ligue 1 experience..at least that fits in with things at Villa currently  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't understand what the difference between his role and foxs will be? 

Nobody really does, which is why I always find it strange that we have so many experts. 

I don't find him affable and inspiring in the same way I did Fox, but then everyone tells me Fox is shit at his job (without really knowing what that is). 

I just wish we had a football man, at some level, working with/for the manager. 

So he apparently first began his work in November, and he also says he has spent a lot of time with Garde/Fox. November was also a month when redundancies were made I believe, including the chop of our head of marketing (which was merged with another role).

I think he's been here a while, but the announcement has only been made due to the fan unrest. Typical Randy propganda IMO.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, powell91 said:

If one of the areas he specialized in was auditing wouldn't suprise me if he comes in a scrutinizes every little thing at the club. 

I doubt very much that is the case

Stolen from the internet as I had no idea really about the differences between a CEO and a Chairman :D

The CEO is a company's top decision-maker, and all other executives answer to him or her. The CEO typically delegates many of the tactical responsibilities to other managers, focusing instead on strategic issues, such as which markets to enter, how to take on the competition, and which companies to form partnerships with. This is in contrast to the chief operating officer or president, who oversees day-to-day operations and logistics. The CEO is ultimately accountable to the board of directors for the company's performance.

The chairman of a company is the head of its board of directors. The board is elected by shareholders and is responsible for protecting investors' interests, such as the company's profitability and stability. It usually meets several times a year to set long-term goals, review financial results, evaluate the performance of high-level managers, and vote on important strategic moves proposed by the CEO. Directors appoint--and can fire--upper-level managers such as the CEO and president. The chairman typically wields substantial power in setting the board's agenda and determining the outcome of votes. But he or she does not necessarily play an active role in everyday management.

The balance of power between the CEO and the chairman varies widely from company to company. Because the CEO cannot make major moves without the board's assent, and his or her job security depends on their satisfaction, the chairman of the board is technically his or her superior. And an active chairman may use this power to effectively become the co-head--and ultimate boss--of the corporation. But most chairmen are not so involved, which leaves the CEO with considerable flexibility in running the company. The CEO can also affect the composition of the board of directors through his or her selection of senior executives, many of whom are guaranteed board seats by company bylaws

I still don't know after all that :flag:

Edited by KHV

Just now, HeyAnty said:

He has been sitting in the office since the start of November.  Why is this only coming out now?  Was he there on trail lol

Because Randy wanted to save the announcement for a time where it looks like he's doing something good for the club. 

Just now, samjp26 said:

Because Randy wanted to save the announcement for a time where it looks like he's doing something good for the club. 

On the back of a win probably helped too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Or maybe Steve Hollis couldnt announce it earlier for some reason.  There isn't always a conspiracy you know

Nothing conspiring about it, the back room shake up he talks about already happened, at a very similar time to when he says he started working with Randy or whatever in November.

Â